• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“I Don’t Think Everyone Will Charge $70” for PS5 and Xbox Series X / S Games – Michael Pachter

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking with GamingBolt in a recent interview, Pachter suggested that individual instances of price increases by publishers don’t necessary have to point to the onset of an industry trend, and that price increases will instead be dependent on console MSRP for games and platform holders- citing the example of Microsoft, who, thanks to Smart Delivery, likely won’t be moving to the $70 model anytime soon (lest they increase Xbox One game prices as well).

“It really comes down to what the console MSRP is for games,” Pachter said. “Microsoft has been pretty clear with Smart Delivery, which they have said is free for current to next gen upgrades. So if Smart Delivery is free, unless Microsoft raises the price of current gen games from $60 to $70, they can’t price their games at $70. And next gen games from them will be $60.

“I think 2K pricing their game at $70 is going to upset customers. And I get that it’s worth it, I get that inflation is a thing, and that game prices haven’t increased in years. But the fact is, if the platform holders don’t suggest a $70 price point, then third party publishers will look greedy by asking for $10 more.”

“I don’t know if it’s going to happen,” he added. “I think what we’re seeing is publishers trying to figure out what they will do with regards to pricing, and I have to imagine Sony didn’t help anybody announcing Miles Morales at $50 and Demon’s Souls at $70.”

Later, he added, “I don’t think everyone will charge $70.”

Plantoid

Here in my country games are very expensive, 60$ games are already like 1/5 of the minimum wage

That's why I was on pc since ps3 launch... I had a ps2+piracy combo before that

What sold me on the next gen was the gamepass, gamepass is 8$ here...

That's 96$ a year, even if I only play 2 games in the whole year (day one games by ms studios) it is still the best deal I've ever seen, the only reason I'm buying a next gen console

So 70$ games (+ dlc,+season passes etc) seems risky

Quasicat

This is a safe bet for Pachter as EA just release Squadrons at $40. Granted it was more of a budget title, but it was definitely at a decent price. What has me concerned is if the budget price goes from $40 to $50. That $10 is enough for me to wait for a sale.

Dodo123

Why this guy keeps getting the attention? He either presents facts as his own assumptions or when he actually wants to forecast something, that's total BS. I have impression that these websites interview him for clicks solely, so people like me can moan in the comments.

I would expect that, much like this gen, they will be giving away PS5 and XSX games 6 months after launch if you are patient enough to wait.

I paid full price for most of the PS4 exclusives but have seen noticed most of them for less than £10 new even digital once they stop selling.

The people that will get burned this gen are those that buy sports games as soon as they come out so they don't fall behind with the MyTeam stuff as they will be paying £80 for almost the same game every 12 months.

Still a cheap hobby all things considered I guess.

Zimmy68

I think they will try but soon find it very hard to continue.
When I watched the PS5 UI demonstration and they showed Rocket Death Racers? (or something) as $69.99, I said good luck with selling what looks like an Indy game for $70.
And even it sells ok initially, when the sales drop and they have to drop the price to $40, the lemmings will learn their lesson.
For me, the games would have to be AAA titles for me to even think of the $10 upcharge.

Ravix

Oh they'll definitely charge 70 bucks. These publishers are so greedy they don't even give you a complete game now. Why wouldn't they take the opportunity to rob you of another ten bucks?

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
The brilliance of Michael Pachter ladies and gentlemen.

Top Bottom