• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“It’s not a sex game but you’re going to get fucked” – Josef Fares drops hints about Hazelight new game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During GameLab Barcelona we got chance to talk to A Way Out creator Josef Fares, during which we tried to figure out how to make interviewing Josef Fares a full-time role because he’s the best, most precious game director in all the lands.

First up, the cold, hard facts: it’s not a sequel to A Way Out and it’s not a sex game. Good? Good.

“I like to make [players] not really know what’s going on, surprise them, like a rollercoaster,” Fares explained of his design ethos. “With Brothers and A Way Out, especially the ending, people go, ‘What the heck is going on?’ The next game will be like that. That’s why I call it mind-fucking.”

“What I can say is it’s not A Way Out 2,” Fares explained about his next game, which definitely isn’t a sex game. “But if you look at Brothers, A Way Out, and the next game, you will see it’s the same studio that makes the game. But it will be something completely, totally different and it will be way more focused on trying to make the mechanics a part of the game, but it’s going to be something with a story that will remind of Brothers and A Way Out but in a very different way.

“I believe there’s a lot of potential in telling great stories for more than one person. If you look at the movies today, when we look at them we look at them together, we experience stories together. I believe that multiplayer story games are underestimated – there’s a lot of potential there that I’d like to explore. But who knows, in the future I’d like to try different stuff – it depends what idea pops into my head.

GreyHorace

I never played A Way Out, due to the fact that it's strictly a multiplayer game. But it did get good reviews and seemed like an offbeat title in a sea of AAA releases. I'm still amazed that it came out of the shithole that is EA.

Fares seems like a fresh voice that the game industry needs. Hope his next game is one I can play.

b3b2bd61f8af8ed9264f75b3d4ee4a5678076ca557b3a9b2ba34ca565a4f848d.jpg

Top Bottom