• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Once Upon A Time In Hollywood” - Trailer #1, new Tarantino

J-Roderton

I think the idea is to make a nice round number and then get out before they see any decline in quality. Some would argue that decline's been going on a while (I wouldn't) but OUATIH seems to have stopped that.

Even if he stops after 10, there's no way he doesn't end up producing a ton of shit.

For real. I don't see him not being involved with something or other til the end of his days.

Thabass

When this movie was announced and Leo was the star, I knew it would be good. Nice to see the CANNES reviews proved it.

I'm a Tarantino mark, so I would have gone to this movie regardless, but after seeing the trailer, I already want to put this movie in my AMC A-List movie selection. This a day -1 for me.

Last edited:
Just saw this pop up in my YouTube feed and couldn’t help but laugh.

During the standing ovation at Cannes following the showing of this film, the cameraman gets like super agro for some reason

Leo was my favorite

Acidizer

Banned
Shit trailer, but obv just a first taster. Film should be awesome.

"9th film by QT". Urgh. I don't like that 'only 10 films' shit he's been dangling, especially if motherfucking Starwars is gonna be his 10th and final film.

Acidizer

Banned
Few days ago he was talking about doing Starwars seriously, but that could just be smoke and mirrors.

He's conveniently left out Death Proof off his list of 10, so he'll make up some other excuse when he's done and wants to make another... he'll claim Jackie Brown isn't his since it came from a book.

HotPocket69

Banned
1-B1-F97-C4-1761-4624-874-C-B0-A38-CC090-A0.jpg

Sounds like Grace didn’t like it

I only watched the first few minutes of the review, as I’m avoiding spoilers, but she mentions something about people “not understanding the female perspective” or something along those lines.

Will watch for all the feet scenes...
If you were to take a shot for each foot fetish scene... you'd be pleasantly buzzed throughout the film.
Saw it in 70MM. I liked it just fine, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. Loved the Spaghetti Western nods. Looks like the think pieces are coming out for the film.

zxlrCdt.png

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Saw it with my dad and we both loved it. I will say that knowing the history around what they ultimately get into is very important. I probably would have been really bored otherwise.

To anybody on the fence, this is a Quentin Tarantino dialog film. Be warned if that’s not your thing.

UncleMeat

Ya, I went this afternoon with my dad, who's 70, and we also both loved it; Pitt and Leo were excellent. I can't wait to watch it again for all the little details. I'm sure some people will be bored but it breezed by for me.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Saw it with some friends today. I'm a QT fan so it's hard to give an unbiased view. I loved it, Pitt was great and I love what Tarantino is able to get from DiCaprio performances. I can understand the mixed reception as the pacing is really slow and Tate (Robbie) through-line seems underdeveloped which is disappointing considering the run time. It also lacks the tension found in most of Taratino's work. I guess you could also call it self-indulgent, but his work has always felt like film-buff making films as homages to the films he grew up watching. It might be a little too "inside baseball" for some folks.

Last edited:
Saw it last night. It felt really unfocused - like it struggled to make it to the climax. Maybe I wasnt in the right state of mind for it but at the moment it's my least favorite Tarantino film.

Gargus

Banned
Wife and I went Friday night and we loved it. For as damn long as it was it went by fast. This was like Jackie brown in that it was a character piece and only punctuated by small amounts of action. I mean it had a lot of action but it was portrayed in TV shows and movies within the movie which had an interesting effect since it was a movie inside a movie and not directly effecting the real characters it felt separate because when something happened to the actual characters it felt different and had a punch to it. I don't even know if that makes sense as I'm having issues articulating what I want to say.

But we liked it a lot.

Gargus

Banned
I never understood why he's talked about stopping at 10.

But I hope before he retires he makes a third Kill Bill film like he's talked about and whatever happened to The Whole Bloody Affair?

From what I got out of his interviews when he talks about this is he wants to stop at 10 when it comes to writing, directing, and doing everything himself and pouring so much into one movie. Like he was afraid if he just kept doing this after a while his movies would suffer because of it. Whether it because he changes as he gets older, gets burned out or whatnot, or maybe just doesn't want to repeat himself or run out of ideas. But he said he would still do tv shows, write, maybe do theater so it isn't like he suddenly disappears he just wanted to stop investing so much into one movie at a time and go do different things.

I understand where he is coming from though. Like Stephen Spielberg back in the day was amazing. All of his movies very much had their own look and feel and style and each one a classic, you could tell he put a lot into them and had a unique vision. But after jurrasic park he started slipping some and while he still made some good movies they gradually stopped being "a Spielberg movie". And now it's like he is a very technically proficient director that hits all the right notes but his song is kind of generic and lacks what he once had.

Although he said if he directs the next star trek movie he is writing it might be a loophole in the 10 idea. I'm guessing because it won't really be his own personal movie.

I just hope his number 10 is a horror movie. I've always wanted to see him do a horror movie. He touched on it with death proof some but I'd love to see him do an Italian styled horror movie.

Do you have to be Tarantino fan to enjoy it? I kept an eye on this movie mainly because Leo plays there and revived Bruce Lee is in it, but really I don't recall watching any Tarantino movie at all so I don't really know what to expect.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I wish they would show Pulp Fiction on the big screen again, they movie is great and rightfully so.

Grinchy

Banned
I love Tarantino movies and couldn't wait to see this one. I avoided all media and trailers for it and went in completely blind. I had no idea it was even spoofing the Manson story until I was eating popcorn.

I thought it was potentially the worst of all of Tarantino's movies. It's just so boring. What's the point of following a real story so closely except for doing the most expected Tarantino twist with it?

At one point there's a scene of a fictional movie that Leo's character did where he was killing a bunch of Nazis. And it's like Tarantino was paying homage to his own movies that were paying homage to the movies he loved growing up. It just feels masturbatory. All the scenes with feet were less like his usual gag and more like him referencing something about himself in a comedic attempt. It was just done so many times and in one shot there are like 6 pairs of feet sticking up in the air and it's just like yes Quentin, some of us are aware of the gag but it's just cheapening the movie and even people who "get the joke" aren't laughing.

There were some really good performances, but they weren't backed by an amazing script. Compare the first scene of Inglorious Basterds where the Jew Hunter is questioning the guy who is hiding Jews to any scene from this movie. There's just no substance behind it like I've come to expect from his movies.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Saw it this morning and it's easily the best Tarantino movie since Jackie Brown. It's a Hollywood fairy tale with a Tarantino spin that forgoes a lot of his worst tendencies.

scalman

They said its looong like 2hrs 50 min almost long and they talk a lot there. Will watch at some point still i guess

Top Bottom