• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“PS5 Is the Least Constrained Hardware We’ve Ever Worked On” R&C Game Director

Banjo64

cumsessed
No not really.
GAF; Sony’s acquisition is different to the Zenimax deal because Sony groomed Insomniac from a young age

Also GAF; Insomniac are a neutral voice when it comes to praising hardware

Two-Buttons.jpg

Caio

Oste, com'è il vino?!
E' buono, ma in questo caso il Vino è veramente buono, direi ottimo ;) = ""Innkeeper, how is the wine? It is good, but in this case the wine is really good, I would say excellent ! The graphics fidelity and SSD/IO speed are in front of everybody, and this just 7 months after Launch, I think Insomniac know what they are talking about. By the way, you might always have a bit of PR, it's absolutely normal, but nobody can deny the quality of this game and the efficiency of PS5 in the right hands. Just forget about 3rd party cross-gen "crap". I promise you, Horizon Forbidden West will crush your jaw ;)
Then you will be totally finished by God of War and GT7.

JimboJones

Why? FIrst party are going to have a more intimate relationship with hardware engineers at the lab over at playstation that are always testing stuff. You think third party who have to work on multiple hardware configs are going to utilize specialized customizations PS5 has?

You would have to be blind not to see the difference between third party use of the hardware and first party. Hell even Returnal has a lot of specialized things going on when it comes to the ssd. I bet what ever their next game is they might leverage the PS5 even more.
Actually they've worked with DX since 2012 till 2019 ( since 2014 on DX12). Fuse, Sunset Overdrive, Song of the deep, Stormland. There are some smaller games for Android and iOS in between

Because I find its like reading a review from Official PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo magazine gushing about an exclusive, maybe it is a great game but I'd be checking multiple other sources before basing my opinions soly on those who are paid or work closely with the publisher of the game.

And it's doesn't matter what they worked on previously, they are currently on Sony's payroll.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Check Insomniac history in last 9 years. Funny how people ignoring that

Except that a large portion of that was before insomniac was purchased by sony.
Are you saying if playground games said series x was the best they have ever worked on this forum would just accept it as unbiased?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Actually they've worked with DX since 2012 till 2019 ( since 2014 on DX12). Fuse, Sunset Overdrive, Song of the deep, Stormland. There are some smaller games for Android and iOS in between
blink-182 wtf GIF

Your opinions and stances are as flaccid as a pensioners’ cock.

I've told you why it does matter and why people here are doing comparisons.
Insomniac already made games for Sony for a very long time. Sony bought them, nothing was lost. Same as PlayGround Games for MS. And it made a very little impact in game industry.
On the other hand Zenimax has a developers with great history behind it and which games are multiplatform and are developed for many console generations.

You will literally just spew out any ol’ bullshit that suits your flavour of the day argument with zero regard for anything that came out prior :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
GAF; Sony’s acquisition is different to the Zenimax deal because Sony groomed Insomniac from a young age

Also GAF; Insomniac are a neutral voice when it comes to praising hardware

Im not sure what this has to do with my quote. Insomniac hasnt only worked on Playstation hardware. So the person I responded to was in fact wrong. From 2012-2019 they developed 18 games. Only 6 were on playstation. 4 exclusively.

But this praise has been sung from even developers who wont develop Playstation games anywhere in the near future. But who cares about praise? Words mean to you as much as you want them to mean to you.

Papacheeks

Banned
Because I find its like reading a review from Official PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo magazine gushing about an exclusive, maybe it is a great game but I'd be checking multiple other sources before basing my opinions soly on those who are paid or work closely with the publisher of the game.

And it's doesn't matter what they worked on previously, they are currently on Sony's payroll.

They know Sony's hardware and from my understanding were one of the ones telling Marc Cerny's team what they wanted. So your going to see their games shine. I guess wait for DF to talk about it so you can feel better about unbiased. But when someone who has worked on Power PC arc, x86 with a shit cpu, and now Zen2, RDNA2, SSD with custom I/O configs, they know wtf they are talking about.

These guys are making games everyone talks about so if they are pushing the hardware in their games I think its safe to assume their knowledge and impression on what they have been using for the past couple years. They were also talking in terms of working on hardware with slow I/O, and having to put in load screens. Now there's none of that, so I guess its up to you to take it with salt, or take it as an honest assestment when compared to all the hardware they've made games on.

Banned
Why are PC fanboys crying up a storm?

PC development is the very definition of constrained, having to develop across the last 5+ years of compatible hardware to maintain minimum specs

that's. ot a hardware constraint that's a business decision/publisher constraint.

Metro Exodus RT shows that this can be ignored if you want tosame with Crysis when it first launched

Last edited:

JimboJones

It's like Next Level Games saying Switch hardware is really great to work with but they made Captain America in 2011 for Xbox so it's ok their opinion is gospel.

Last edited:

jonnyp

If its unique to one system that means it won't get used.

Why is nvidia releasing a 3080ti when the 3080 is vaporware? AMD released the 6700xt, but does it exist? Nintendo is releasing a new switch even though the old switch outsells everything else ever made.

Companies want money. Expect new stuff to continue to come out until the economy collapses.

Minimum specs exist for a reason. Usually thats around console level hardware.

That's just a silly comparison. Nvidia makes money on their cards. Sony loses money on each PS5 and they will lose even more on a Pro on 6nm besides the fact there is no technical reason why they need a Pro model when they just launched the console. This isn't rocket science.

Yoboman

that's. ot a hardware constraint that's a business decision/publisher constraint.

Metro Exodus RT shows that this can be ignored if you want tosame with Crysis when it first launched
You’ve got two examples stretching back 14 years

I don’t think your point is as strong as you’d like to think

Billbofet

Did I miss something, or is this PS5 fluff piece marketing week in the media?

I also read an article about water being wet and chefs enjoying food.

Loope

Are you saying if playground games said series x was the best they have ever worked on this forum would just accept it as unbiased?
Jesus fuck no, that would bring this place to the ground. I can already see the dirty dozen going ham on that thread. In fact, some of them, even if a dev appeared gushing over the latest Nvidia GPU, they would find a way tto make it look like he/she is a shill or that power means nothing without artsy games.

Last edited:

There is a huge difference. Playground games NEVER developed games outside DX API. Insomniac did. For 7 years.

blink-182 wtf GIF

Your opinions and stances are as flaccid as a pensioners’ cock.

You will literally just spew out any ol’ bullshit that suits your flavour of the day argument with zero regard for anything that came out prior :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Oh really. Look at this. When Corrine Yu, which worked on Halo for 5 years, moved to Naughty Dog and said this :

Xm4B9Kt.png

Isn't that funny when ex DX dev praised a GNMX after the switch. So, back to Insomniac.

Last edited:
Lots of edgy comments putting on fancy pants to come up with a new clever way of saying the same edgy shit thinking they are the first or only to do so..... lots of new faces to meet my blocklist for anyone saying ofc they do they work for them etc. lol

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
There is a huge difference. Playground games NEVER developed games outside DX API. Insomniac did. For 7 years.

Oh really. Look at this. When Corrine Yu, which worked on Halo for 5 years, moved to Naughty Dog and said this :

Xm4B9Kt.png

Isn't that funny when ex DX dev praised a GNMX after the switch. So, back to Insomniac.

Well just saying, they can't really be considered unbiased any more on the Sony payroll.

Regardless, they are great programmers, the hardware is fast, its a win-win.

Reizo Ryuu

You’ve got two examples stretching back 14 years

I don’t think your point is as strong as you’d like to think
The point is moreso that it's still less constrained, even if you support a large range of hardware; DOOM 3 launched with a setting that no PC could actually (reasonably) run, until like two years after release:
The "Ultra" graphics mode included in Doom 3 would not even run on the current popular graphics cards available in 2004, requiring at least 512 MB of video memory to display properly and at playable speeds, meaning that it was basically unusable at the time of release.
That's something you can do with PC releases because of less constraints, you can just put extremely demanding stuff in even if proper hardware isn't ready yet.

RaySoft

3060 ti + direct storage could best it. But of course the update isn't out yet, but presumably soon. And direct storage will work with every DX12 capable GPU which is a big surprise to everyone, as GPU's from several years back can take advantage of this.
I wouldn't make so abrupt comparisons until you really see what the system is capable of. Second; Don't be blinded by PC spec's theoretical numbers.

The price to performance is what it is. a 1TB SSD that matches the speed of the PS5s is almost $500 on its own. The more impressive part is the IO, I don't believe that's fully replicable on PC as all parts are separate, even with PCIE 4.0. Linus tried to and ended up with egg on his face if I recall.

I remember Tim said something about that level of customization isn't possible on PC due to all the different parts from many different manufacturers.

Not saying the speeds are not possible on PC it's just the way the PS5s I/O is built that isn't.

For example one thing that I don't see happening is the PS5s I/O complex inside of the APU on PC.

Last edited:

LMJ

Yeah all you cynics are right lol just a puff piece not like any Sony devs only ever have good things to say about their consoles...And as for you folks saying they say that with every new piece of hardware...eh no lol

it's not like for years the PS2 1st and 3rd party devs complained about the complicated development tools of the Emotion engine etc

And it's not like devs hated the split ram on the PS3 or the uber complicated Cell

And lord knows that NO devs complained about the limited laptop CPU on the PS4 even while applauding the rest of the choices

Christ people, Insomniac might be first party, but they have also proven time and again they can truly push the hardware they are given, so maybe JUST maybe he is being genuine, in a number of previews I've seen the devs have stated this is the first time they basically said "yeah put it in" and didn't have to dumb things down, that's pretty damn exciting

ShadowLag ShadowLag "least contrained" not more powerful... It means this is the first time they don't have something limiting that new tech (see above lol)

Mrw GIF

Last edited:

ZehDon

... maybe I'm old, but wouldn't this be true of every new console generation?

I mean, if it weren't true, then the new console would be utter trash because it would actually be worse than what came before it?

ShadowLag

ShadowLag ShadowLag "least contrained" not more powerful... It means this is the first time they don't have something limiting that new tech (see above lol)

Mrw GIF

But everyone says that every gen, because there's always a finite limit on a machine's capabilities and they'll hit that wall eventually with PS5 too. Every new machine is always the least constrained by basic logic, because it conquered some of the limits of the previous one. We're not at true real-time photorealistic film CGI for example, so there's a constraint. This time, they've got some more beefy components and a revolutionary new disk IO solution that enables near-instant loading and lets them do things they've never been able to do before. Disk access is no longer a (huge) constraint, but something else will be, eventually - and when the next machine comes out, they'll talk about how they have the least constraints ever with a new machine, again.

It's just marketing fluff and doesn't really need to be said for people to buy the machine... what helps more is specific details about the gameplay they've achieved rather than how infinitely powerful the new god tier machine is.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah all you cynics are right lol just a puff piece not like any Sony devs only ever have good things to say about their consoles...And as for you folks saying they say that with every new piece of hardware...eh no lol

it's not like for years the PS2 1st and 3rd party devs complained about the complicated development tools of the Emotion engine etc

And it's not like devs hated the split ram on the PS3 or the uber complicated Cell

And lord knows that NO devs complained about the limited laptop CPU on the PS4 even while applauding the rest of the choices

Christ people, Insomniac might be first party, but they have also proven time and again they can truly push the hardware they are given, so maybe JUST maybe he is being genuine, in a number of previews I've seen the devs have stated this is the first time they basically said "yeah put it in" and didn't have to dumb things down, that's pretty damn exciting

Mrw GIF
The PS3 doesnt count for a mountain of reasons....

In case you didnt get it, thank you for this post.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
If its unique to one system that means it won't get used.

Why is nvidia releasing a 3080ti when the 3080 is vaporware? AMD released the 6700xt, but does it exist? Nintendo is releasing a new switch even though the old switch outsells everything else ever made.

Companies want money. Expect new stuff to continue to come out until the economy collapses.

Minimum specs exist for a reason. Usually thats around console level hardware.
you live in a cave or something? where have you been the past 10 years lol

Last edited:

Shmunter

Why are PC fanboys crying up a storm?

PC development is the very definition of constrained, having to develop across the last 5+ years of compatible hardware to maintain minimum specs
But you get sliders etc. 👍🏻

The results speak for themselves on this Console. The combination of CPU, GPU and memory subsystem are the envy of the industry for years to come. It’s only the beginning.

Top Bottom