• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“The Invisible Man” - from Blumhouse and director of “Upgrade”

Starring Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss

new trailer

Official trailer

“What you can’t see CAN hurt you.”

Old trailer

Seems to be a little #MeToo inspired?

make this post disappear if old

edit

just saw this thread

Last edited:

kunonabi

Not really a fan of Moss and an invisible man isn't quite as impressive as it used to be what with the evolution of CG but the back half of the trailer looked solid. The politics are looking a bit overt but it might play better in the actual film. Looks a hundred times better than the Mummy and Dracula Untold though.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So this is "Gaslighting: The Movie"?

I'm down so long as we get some guys watching invisible man sex and sending flowers to her afterwards: p

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

So did Universal cancel the Johnny Depp Invisible Man movie they announced and made this instead? This looks ok but the other movie would have been more interesting.

Last edited:

GV82

So did Universal cancel the Johnny Depp Invisible Man movie they announced and made this instead? This looks ok but the other movie would have been more interesting.

Yup that’s a) The Mummys failing and b) Amber Heards fault.

This looks a little too close to hollow man for my tastes but I did like upgrade, the first saw was good and I haven’t seen insidious but I will give this a chance.

Last edited:

GV82

53192No.jpg

Imax Poster

It looks fascinating but i have a hard time getting excited for something with Moss in it. Can't put my finger on the exact reason but i just don't enjoy her work.

Cravis

Yup that’s a) The Mummys failing and b) Amber Heards fault.

This looks a little too close to hollow man for my tastes but I did like upgrade, the first saw was good and I haven’t seen insidious but I will give this a chance.
I agree with you. It almost looks like a hollow man sequel.

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst since it’s Blumhouse.

Grace’s review, says it’s a good movie

“the ad campaign painted it as a generic stalker movie about a toxic white male, in reality it’s a very innovative movie about a toxic white male.”

“Sophisticatedly directed and masterful storytelling, doesn’t paint all men as bad. Everyone can enjoy this.”

“more so than ever, in this internet age fear threats we can’t see, threats we aren’t sure are there or not”

“impressive writing and filmmaking, worth being studied”

“characters don’t make stupid trope mistakes, are genuinely in deepest scenarios and have clever solutions”

“looks amazing for the budget, only 7 million bucks to make”

“Adrian is a complex character not a typical Hollywood cartoonish ex-boyfriend”

“better then Upgrade”

Last edited:

thequestion

There’s a poster of her wearing lots of layers of clothing, with her hands on her hips, staring at you, with judging eyes. On top of the poster it reads: “Now, that’a problematic!” Many of these posters are hanging on the walls of reeeeeee era member’s bedroom walls.

Also, I prefer the Invisible Man to be more ambitious, like in the old Universal film, where he has plans for global conquest, rather than stalking unattractive women.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm getting a good feeling about this. What I'm hearing from the people I trust is positive. Not to mention, the main criticism from ideologues seems to be that they dont like how it centers around abuse without "saying anything". I figure that means the movie isnt hamfistedly preachy, which is a plus. Hope it lives up to what I've heard.

Ok I thought every trailer for this was horrible and they keep playing them. Buttttt I didnt realize it was from the director of Upgrade so Im in

the marketing has been awful and many reviews basically say the ads did the actual movie no justice

Im also seeing seeing Moss‘ character likened to Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), which I know may be blasphemy for some

The homie Jeremy Jahns weighs in (haven’t watched it yet)

edit

says it’s a clever, well done psychological thriller, recommends if. Says maybe runs too long

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I went and watched Upgrade for the first time because of this thread. I had honestly never heard of it before, and was intrigued enough with the way people talked about it to seek it out. Yeah, that was a pretty cool movie. Simple, but real effective. I saw somewhere a comparison to Venom, and I can sorta see that...but man Upgrade is so much better than that shit.

Real interested in checking this movie out too though, sounds like it could be fun. I think I'll go tomorrow.

GV82

I’m going to be that guy and am still going to wait for the old guard to review it, the longtime Universal Monsters fans, there’s a few very small Youtubers that fit that category and of course James from Cinemassacre.

I’m sure it’s fine, Mostly all positive so far and I liked upgrade a lot and Saw of course was good, but still I know who’s opinions I trust the most.

I’m going to be that guy and am still going to wait for the old guard to review it, the longtime Universal Monsters fans, there’s a few very small Youtubers that fit that category and of course James from Cinemassacre.

I’m sure it’s fine, Mostly all positive so far and I liked upgrade a lot and Saw of course was good, but still I know who’s opinions I trust the most.

if I had to guess I’d say this movie probably doesn’t scratch old school Universal Monsters itch, but I’m curious to find that out too

Gargus

Banned
Looks too much like the same old thing for me. Guy becomes invisible and turns into a stalker after some chic. I'm sure somehow it will get spun into a strong woman in an abusive relationship with a man and overcomes him.

I don't care for moss at all really. I'd rather just watch hollow man because I like Kevin bacon and Elizabeth shue.

Shantae

Banned
let us know
I was thoroughly engaged through most of it. I suppose if I had time to nitpick parts of it, I could probably find faults in it. But for a movie called The Invisible Man in 2020, I think it's great. I think the very very end kind felt underwhelming to me if I had a complaint, but the rest of the movie was good. It stays tense through almost the whole thing, and it doesn't insult my intelligence with dumb characters or anything. It doesn't waste your time making the main character second guess herself or anything. She knows he's there, and she doesn't let anything convince her otherwise. But he's smart too, so she has a hard time proving it of course.

I've never seen Moss in anything before, but she was really good in this as well. She carries the movie. The characters are believable and likable for the most part too, so you legit feel bad for them when things start to go to shit. I can see some people wanting to scream that this is another "me too" movie or something, but I think this handles it fine. Domestic abuse is a real thing, and it's satisfying seeing a woman fight back against a guy like this. This movie doesn't portray every man as evil which can be a problem for those types of movies, only the bad guy, which is appropriate.

The director of photography, and director do an amazing job with the shots in this movie though. I love just the look of the movie, and what the camera choose to focus on. You know he's there, but can't see him, and the way it's shot makes this work. There are a number of wide shots where there is only 1 person on 1 side of the shot, and without seeing anyone else on the other side of the shot, the framing works so well as to make you feel like someone else is. There was shots where the lighting was made to look like you see him moving, but there really was no one else in the shot, or anything moving. It's so effective at building tension. NO stupid jump scares either, it just stays tense the whole time, and I loved it for that.

I do tend to leave movies that I liked feeling more positive than I might feel later down the line, but it left a good impression on me which is something. I wonder how well it'll hold up on multiple viewings, like if there are more hints to where he is in the shot or something.

Top Bottom