• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“White man” café in Tokyo

nush

Just like one of my Animes videogames

662px-Tsukino-Date10.jpg

GeorgPrime

Banned
This is from 2008. I wonder if it's still around.

Japanese butler cafés
The central concept of a butler café is that the customer is treated as an aristocrat who has returned to their home for tea, where they are waited on by a personal butler.[7] While maid cafés typically promote the physical attractiveness of the servers as their major selling point, butler cafés devote significant resources to environment, ambiance, and high quality service.[4] Customers are "welcomed home" upon entering and referred to with honorary titles, with female customers referred to as ojōsama ("milady") or ohimesama ("princess")[1] and male customers as bocchan ("young lord") or dannasama ("master").[18]

High-quality food is served – the menu of Swallowtail, for example, was developed by Paul Okada, the food and beverage director at the Four Seasons Tokyo[5] – and the interior of the restaurant is typically designed to resemble an English country house or manor house with imported and custom furniture.[4] Butlers may even take the time to inform the customer of the style of the decor and thoroughly describe the items on the menu.[18] English-style afternoon tea is the most commonly-served food at butler cafés, including cakes, scones, sandwiches, and tea served in fine porcelain cups,[1][18] which may also be the café's own custom ceramics.[18]

Men employed as butlers can be as young as 18 or as old as 80,[4][18] and receive extended training in tea preparation, etiquette, and restaurant service standards.[18][4] The training process at Swallowtail takes several months, and requires applicants to pass a test based on hotel restaurant standards.[18] Job titles for butlers correspond to those of household staff, including "house steward" for the most senior manager and "footman" for servers.[19] Butlers also occasionally appear in musicals, stage plays and concerts organized by the café, and sell souvenirs and CDs.[19]

Photography is typically not permitted in butler cafés, though Butlers Café offered it as an additional service: services offered included the "Lift Me Up Photo", where a photo is taken of the butler physically lifting the customer; "Cinderella Time," where the customer receives bubbles, a tiara, and a silver bell on a platter; and "Study English," where customers receive a notebook to exchange notes in English with their butler during each visit.[8] Butler cafés typically enforce a code of conduct for employees and customers that forbids certain activity, such as the exchange of personal information or meetings outside of the café space.[8][20]

Its just like Maid Cafes for men.

H4ze

I see no problem, as long as they pay good, I would call them whatever the hell they want me to call them.

nush

Fake news... I've seen videos of how some Japanese/Chinese women get their "looks" ... They look completely different without the make-up and doo-dads.

I performed extensive research in this department, you'll meet most of these women when they are not wearing heavy makeup. It's only ever a special occasion upgrade. They are not wandering around trying to catch out whitey into banging an uggo.

Alx

Its just like Maid Cafes for men.

Or a traditional "gentlemen club" maybe ?
The only thing that could be controversial would be calling it "white man cafe" for the racial connotation, but with "butler cafe" or any other name it's just some random attraction. Maybe one could frown at the idea of servitude and class division, but since it's mostly for show...

This was beginning to pique my interest until

Japanese butler cafés ... forbids certain activity, such as the exchange of personal information or meetings outside of the café space

If I can't offer them some English sausage for breakfast, then you've lost me.

Top Bottom