• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

007: Nightfire - GBA vs. Consoles | Side by Side

bender

What time is it?
Which one is which?

db07slq-f9d597c4-c4f9-40f6-9d3a-3a31fc4dc242.png

Kuranghi

Its crazy how much lower dev costs were back then.

Nowadays:

"We have this game with super-graphics how will we get it onto Switch?"
"We just won't... but wait... what about terrible quality streaming?!? Get id on the phone!"
"They left a message and said we'd need to rewrite the whole game in their engine"
"Cloud Version it is then"

Back then:

"There are six different platforms how will we put it on all of them, they all have wildly different HW/specs?"
"START DEVELOPMENT ON FOUR SEPARATE GAMES WITH FOUR DIFFERENT STUDIOS"

It's a Harry Potter game I'm specifically referring to but I'm sure it happened with other IPs. I can't remember which HP game now though, its based on one of the first three books I think.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

Nowadays:

"We just won't... but wait... what about terrible quality streaming?!? Get id on the phone!"
"They left a message and said we'd need to rewrite the whole game in their engine"

Back then:

"There are six different platforms how will be put it on all of them, they all have wildly different HW/specs?"

It's a Harry Potter game I'm specifically referring to but I'm sure it happened with other IPs. I can't remember which HP game now though, its based on one of the first three books I think.
A lot of it has to do with just basic advancement in technology and how many casual gamers left the market for cell phone games and F2P. I remember when the 360 was launching that EA was saying something along the lines of that they could green-light 10 games for the price of 30 in the PS2 era. Plus you have to combine the increased manpower to get a game out the door these days. Kinda crazy most indies have studios the sizes of companies who put out games like Silent Hill 3 with 18 people vs an isometric Roguelike.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I don't think I knew there was a GBA version. Looks painful - good memories of 60FPS Nightfire on cube though.

Nowadays:

Back then:

"There are six different platforms how will be put it on all of them, they all have wildly different HW/specs?"

Pretty prominent in the 2D era as well, particularly during the limbo/transition between Master System, Mega Drive & NES, SNES where game releases overlapped.

Impressive is the one on the left the switch version?
jim carrey attorney GIF

Stuart360

I love how they actually tried to replicate the same game on GBA, and not just give it its own game, as usually happens with this kind of stuff.
Also wasnt the GBA pretty much a slightly better portable Snes?, it impresses me how many '3D' games are on it.

Kikorin

This game was amazing, I played so much of it as a kid. I remember amazing times spent playing it with friends in multiplayer after school.

I also remember the first time I've put it in my GameCube, in the opening scene where you were on an elicopter with a sniper rifle, at first I thought it was a cutscene since it was so beautiful I couldn't believe was playable.

Corgi1985

Banned
I remember games like this and timesplitters 2 but now we only get third person action games with highlighted ledges to grab and uninspired looter shooters.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
A lot of games back in the early 2000s was like that, and as far I know, made profit enough to make sequels and even spin-offs

Nowadays publishers are pussies and if the game doesn't sell double the costs, it's a failure

A lot of games back in the early 2000s was like that, and as far I know, made profit enough to make sequels and even spin-offs

Nowadays publishers are pussies and if the game doesn't sell double the costs, it's a failure
Back then vidya hadn't proven itself viable as big business just yet (although it was getting there), so quite a lot of developers / publishers were fairly small and made of up people who genuinely loved the art form. Once the big investors came in who couldn't give a shit about the games themselves, only how much money they make, the industry was always going to go to shit.

Nightfire was really fun. Both the campaign and its multi with my buds were played a lot.

Next best thing to goldeneye. Also, the vehicle segments (minus the underwater bit) were really fun.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I know it looks awful now but that's a pretty impressive port for GBA. I used to love watching that system be pushed.

TLZ

Banned
The GBA version looks horrible. As if I'd drop the GameCube version for a horrible looking version that looks 2 gens older.

Top Bottom