• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

04/23/2009 | Retronauts Episode 68: Gameboy

The gameboy was my first console system, i owned three games tetris, a super mario game, and a game where you dig a hole to capture aliens this game was awesome.

Barrett2

I loved my Gameboy which I got the Christmas it launched. My problem was the next year I got excited about Lynx, which I got for Christmas. Then the next Christmas I got GameGear. Somewhere during that time I sold my Gameboy to facilitate the purchase of a SNES and SF2.

So, I sadly missed out on the Gameboy. Hopefully DSiWare will bring some classic GB games to the service. That would be nice.

Sapiens

I've been on a Gameboy kick recently, myself. I bought a Gameboy SP+, Donkey Kong 94, Link's Awakening DiX, Mole Mania and Super Mario World Advance.

What a great little system.

Tetsuo9

I kinda liked the new format, it was a little annoying that for some topics people didn't really said anything interesting, so this keeps the conversation going fast. But on the other side, less nerd jokes. I'm looking forward to the next epidodes.

Flavius

voltron said:
I thought Jenn Frank was quitted.

I still can't believe that moron posted that here. It could've been an HR/legal nightmare for Ziff had they not already been going down in flames.

That said, can't wait to give this one a listen on the commute!

No_Style

I love the new format, T-Frog. It seems like you're enjoying it as well since you sound enthused with every segment.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
No_Style said:
I love the new format, T-Frog. It seems like you're enjoying it as well since you sound enthused with every segment.

my sentiments exactly.

new format suits you very well, jeremy.

womp

So no one else has the January show listed as the last show to download on their Touch/iPhone's iTunes for Retronauts?

BTW, good stuff...Although I am hoping for more GB discussion, it's infectious.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
womp said:
So no one else has the January show listed as the last show to download on their Touch/iPhone's iTunes for Retronauts?

BTW, good stuff...Although I am hoping for more GB discussion, it's infectious.

did you unsubscribe then resubscribe? this fixes the occasional broken feed in my itunes.

Really good episode. Jenn's story at the end was pretty sad.

Thinking back, the only memory I have of either parent playing a video game was my mom playing Duck Hunt. I think I specifically remember it because she was scary good at it, much more than my brother, my friend or myself. I was always a BTTF fan, so I used to joke that this was the reverse of Marty getting good at shooting real guns by playing Wild Gunmen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I got my SNES for my birthday, which every year we spend down the shore in our condo. I slept on the floor that night in my sleeping bag since I fell asleep in front of mario...and I woke up at midnight to my parents both playing Super Mario World. The next day they told me the following knock knock joke:

Knock knock
who's there
wenyu
Wenyu who
When you go to sleep we play more super mario

It got me so mad, lol.

My other memories are of my dad playing Castlevania, which he LOVED (SCIV). He loved that series all the way through to the PS1 too. Huge SOTN fan. My dad doesn't play anything other than racing games now (NASCAR :().

Anyway, he was playing SCIV in my room when my mom and sister were in my parents' bed (we were like 6 or something I guess) and I remember waking up to him screaming that he beat the game. It was like 1 AM and he was screaming I DID IT I DID IT

lol

I wish I had my own SNES back then. The way it worked in my family is that my brother would buy the systems and I would buy the games I wanted for those systems (a Gameboy with Link's Awakening was my first game playing device, N64 my first console). Problem was that my brother was a fickle asshole and kept trading systems with other ones, leaving me with games I couldn't play.

If I can remember correctly, it went something like: Master System > Genesis > SNES > Genesis again > SNES again > Playstation 1 for only a week > SNES yet again. Luckily I had the money to finally buy these systems to own myself and eventually got the systems he didn't sell, like the Jaguar, 2600, colecovision and original NES (top loading NES was bought at one point too). I think that's why I never was really too crazy into games until middle school.

I still have memories of the days when I wasn't too big into video games, like sitting with other kids in the basement of party I was forced to go to and first playing Street Fighter 2. The one part of nostalgia I will attest to is that the feeling of something totally new, be it a new genre or even a large graphical leap, doesn't really exist anymore. Before that experiene of SF2, the closest thing to a fighting game I played was TMNT3 on NES in the mode that let you hit player 2.

Another random memory that just popped into my head was when the Virtual Boy was on sale at Stop-n-Save Software and my mom bought two of them; one for my birthday, which was near, and one for a friends birthday, which was a week later. After playing it a bit, I realized how much I hated the thing and returned it, but still kept the gift one. I go to the friends birthday party a week later with this gift in a big box and when I get there, he too has my gift in a very similar box. We opened them and realize that we did the exact same thing and were now stuck with this bulky piece of crap. I still have that virtual boy somewhere around here.

Barrett2

Linkzg said:
If I can remember correctly, it went something like: Master System > Genesis > SNES > Genesis again > SNES again > Playstation 1 for only a week > SNES yet again. Luckily I had the money to finally buy these systems to own myself and eventually got the systems he didn't sell, like the Jaguar, 2600, colecovision and original NES (top loading NES was bought at one point too). I think that's why I never was really too crazy into games until middle school.

Fortunately, my parents got sick of buying me new systems right around the time Jaguar, 3DO, and other unfortunate consoles were released.

I wish I stuck with the SNES longer. I jumped right into the Playstation when it launched, and I missed out on a lot of great SNES games.

My earliest memory was playing Super Mario Bros, with my grandparents in the house. I called them in to the room to ask them to look at how awesome I was, and I ran straight in to the first Goomba. I don't think I cried, but I was certainly very upset.

Enk

makes good threads.
Good to hear some Wumpus love. Most of the Wumpus memories I hear are from those who suffered through the monster's programming studies.

womp

Damnit Parish...It was Sinistar....SINISTAR, not Galaga, that the one 'Asteroids' letter writer was referring to!

That said, great show and I enjoyed the new format. :)

Porridge

Great episode. I like the new format. Good topics discussed too.

Did anyone else notice how Kohler told us about his youth playing pirated 800XL software yet wouldn't read someone's letter on Genesis emulation?

poweld

Jenn Frank's childhood stories were pretty wounding.

Thank you for sharing them, really brought to light how videogames can tie together some really important moments in our lives.

Finished listening to this the other day. Another fantastic episode. New format was great and eagerly look forward to the next show

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i really wish sometimes that i could go back to playing games with the mindset i did when the snes came out. i was seven, and had no understanding or expectations of how games would change going into the 16-bit era. i was definitely excited about games like super mario world, link to the past, and other updated versions of nes games i loved, but i also looked at every game released as being potentially a new classic or an incredible experience based on the fact that this was THE FREAKIN' SUPER NINTENDO, and it had freakin' SUPER GAMES. i was willing to rent and try anything. i remember saving a bag of pennies and taking it to movie warehouse so i could rent this snes game about a little blob; it was a platformer and you could compress yourself to go through tight spaces. i didn't give a shit about this character, or this game, but the system itself made me more exploratory and interested.

Top Bottom