• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1,000,000-ton no Barabara/Patchwork Heroes (PSP) Official Thread

GhaleonQ

Member
Aug 24, 2006
11,572
5
1,260
Milwaukee/Wisconsin Rapids/Hanover
I'm really, really excited for this. I still haven't tried the What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord series due to their initial boneheaded digital download policy, but this looks phenomenal. The papercut/Flash animation hybrid style and music look seem incredibly inviting, the gameplay's a simple concept that can be expounded on easily, and the concept itself is great!

THE MAIN THEME USES KAZOOS, PEOPLE. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-debut-patchwork-heroes/59265
 

345triangle

Member
Oct 26, 2009
4,792
0
765
tokyo, japan
it's a bit more expensive on PSN than i expected, but i just saw the UMD for like 4500 yen and i didn't know it was even getting a physical release. will wait for impressions!
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
2
0
38
It's pretty good - if you liked the demo you'll like the full game. I've beaten 5 story stages so far, but I've replayed each of them twice at least because I wanted to rescue everyone. It's a pretty good puzzle/action portable game for the toilet. There are challenge stages in addition to story stages, and the difficulty levels include Easy, Normal and Time Attack. It's probably not something meant to be played for long sessions though, since your hand will start to hurt, and it might get repetitive.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
2
0
38
I cleared story stage 6 and played 2 of the challenge missions. The challenge missions use some of the same maps from the story missions but with different objectives. In the first challenge mission you don't have to destroy the ship at all, but instead you need to collect all the parts located around it. In the second challenge mission, your time limit is extremely tight, but there are stop watch power ups located at key points of the map which you must use to destroy the ship within the time limit. Pretty interesting!
 
Sep 30, 2009
11,216
1
0
Disc version coming to NA or EU? Or is it another one of those fucking PSN exclusives a la Patapon 2 and Holy Invasion? I ask because I really like that box art.
 

reminder

Member
Feb 11, 2006
4,530
0
1,040
Germany
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Disc version coming to NA or EU? Or is it another one of those fucking PSN exclusives a la Patapon 2 and Holy Invasion? I ask because I really like that box art.
Only PSN in the US and europe.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
2
0
38
I cleared Stage 7 and did 2 more Challenge Missions. The game is REALLY hurting my hands though. My wrists hurt a lot from gripping the PSP and playing games which require either too much mashing or holding of a single button so I can't really play this for long periods of time. It's kinda like how the Prinny demo destroyed my hands too. But the game is fun.

Stage 7 was really interesting - you start at an extraction point on the map which you cannot cut off. If you do you lose the mission immediately. You have to plan you actions throughout the stage such that you cut the entire ship up but the final part you end up on includes the extraction point. It took a few tries to master completely with no deaths, but it was really fun. The challenge missions are a great diversion away from the story missions because they include a lot of non-standard objectives and/or conditions.

I'll definitely recommend this for people who are fans of action puzzlers. Especially if it launches at budget price on PSN in the US and Europe.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
2
0
38
Akainu said:
The impression I got from the video was that it would be really easy, is it?
Well it depends on what you mean by easy. Like any other puzzle game, it starts off rather simple, and get harder. It's easy to complete a stage usually, but to complete it with a good score and with all prisoners rescued generally requires retries and replays to learn the stage better. It's by no means a cakewalk.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
2
0
38
11 story missions and 12 challenge missions completed. It's getting pretty tough now, and I also unlocked the Hard difficulty for all missions now. Challenge mission 12 was a real bitch! On some missions your normal cutting attack is completely disabled, so you have to rely on bombs and the special attack (from building up your power bar) to complete the stages. Evil!
 

Doctor_No

Member
Aug 23, 2006
1,511
1
0
I got this game along with Classic Dungeon on my Go; God Eater isn't on PSN, and I was kinda feeling pissed and was not in the mood to break out old PSP to play that game, but I'm feeling pretty good now with two quality games to keep me distracted.

Anyway, love the art direction in this game, but the game was far too easy for me until Stage 7, since then its become a real challenge, and as a consequence is becoming much more enjoyable. I'm currently at Stage 10 and my game completion stat is around 10% so I'm guessing there are maybe a lot of stages (maybe a 100?). Another original non-derivative cool PSP title from Acquire.
 

asmodeal

Member
Dec 17, 2007
32
0
0
Aside from the 7 easy stage of short trial mode, there are 30 story mode stages and 50 challenge mode stages. 4 lvl of difficulty with easy, normal, hard and pro for each and story mode has also time attack.
 

Doctor_No

Member
Aug 23, 2006
1,511
1
0
duckroll said:
It's probably not something meant to be played for long sessions though, since your hand will start to hurt, and it might get repetitive.
When I first started to play this game my hand really started to hurt, but I figured out the reason why. I use the d-pad for my movements, but when I'm 'cutting' the ship the player gets dramatically slowed down, so I instinctively press harder.

I've noticed this while playing Classic Dungeon as well, where there are grass and other obstacles that suddenly slow your character down, I press harder, an instinctual and futile response to increase the speed of my charter.

In neither case is it the fault of the controls or the game, but playing with the analog nub for 100man-Ton no Barabara has dramatically reduced the strain of my hand.

asmodeal said:
Aside from the 7 easy stage of short trial mode, there are 30 story mode stages and 50 challenge mode stages. 4 lvl of difficulty with easy, normal, hard and pro for each and story mode has also time attack.
This makes sense. I'm past stage 16 and its getting pretty hard, though still doable on normal. I could imagine 'pro' being insanely hard, especially if you want to keep all your guys alive and save everyone. The more I play it, the more I'm discovering and appreciating that it has a bit of depth as new enemy types are introduced. For instance, there are some enemies that only attack you when you're 'cutting', others that only attack you when you're not. They both can be on the same field, the later stages, unlike the earlier stages, you really have to think about where to cut off first and how to maneuver relative to the obstacles and to the different types of enemies. Its a good combination of strategy and action.
 

asmodeal

Member
Dec 17, 2007
32
0
0
Dam, I was playing like crazy to unlock the yuusha no kuze ni namaikida stage (okogiru Yuusha Titori) but you can access it easily on the title screen with L,R,L,R,L,R.
 

Doctor_No

Member
Aug 23, 2006
1,511
1
0
asmodeal said:
Dam, I was playing like crazy to unlock the yuusha no kuze ni namaikida stage (okogiru Yuusha Titori) but you can access it easily on the title screen with L,R,L,R,L,R.
Didn't know about this and tried it out. Its cute, but it basically plays like a demo for Yuusha no kuse ni namaikida or2. There's even an ad for or2 & 3D after you beat it.

duckroll said:
Cleared story stages through mission 15. Stuck on Challenge mission 15. Any tips?
The protection stages are definitely hard. The tactic I used was to first work my way all the way towards the right hand of the screen and then start taking pieces off from there working my way to the left freeing the captives. Luckily the each piece of the ship is connected by thinner railways so its easy to target where to cut.

The ship is held together by three thin pieces in the middle, if you cut it in half then the side with the girl (Asuri) will fall off. What I did was detach the large piece on the upper right with the captive which are held together with two walkways with the goal to make the right part of the screen lighter the left. After the right side of the ship is gone, I start taking off ancillary pieces bit by bit. That's the way I did it at least.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
2
0
38
Doctor_No said:
The protection stages are definitely hard. The tactic I used was to first work my way all the way towards the right hand of the screen and then start taking pieces off from there working my way to the left freeing the captives. Luckily the each piece of the ship is connected by thinner railways so its easy to target where to cut.

The ship is held together by three thin pieces in the middle, if you cut it in half then the side with the girl (Asuri) will fall off. What I did was detach the large piece on the upper right with the captive which are held together with two walkways with the goal to make the right part of the screen lighter the left. After the right side of the ship is gone, I start taking off ancillary pieces bit by bit. That's the way I did it at least.
Sorry, I cleared the 15th story mission. It's the 15th challenge mission I'm having difficulty with. It's the one with tons of bugs all over a beetle map. >_<
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,734
2
0
38
GhaleonQ said:
Has anyone confirmed this for the U.S., though?
That's what the US blog says.

"Here’s a first look at Patchwork Heroes, a new title that will be flying onto your PSP this spring via the PlayStation Network."
 

Doctor_No

Member
Aug 23, 2006
1,511
1
0
duckroll said:
Sorry, I cleared the 15th story mission. It's the 15th challenge mission I'm having difficulty with. It's the one with tons of bugs all over a beetle map. >_<
My bad :p I've been focusing on the story side and the challenge missions are, as their name suggests, challenging. I was kinda worried I wasn't going to get my ¥3800 worth with this game; I know its going to be cheaper in the North America & Europe. Judging from the previews and the early part of the game, I really did think I was going to blast through this or was going to get bored with it in a few hours, but the later portions really do have some real depth and challenge to it. While I don't have really long playing sessions, much like Acquire's Yuusha no kuseni namaikida/Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman I keep coming back to it.
 

KTallguy

Member
Jul 20, 2006
11,254
0
0
Osaka, Japan
How big is the full version file size?

I downloaded the demo and put 10 minutes into it, didn't quite get to the Yaruki-attack thing, but I balked when I saw the 3800 yen price tag.
 

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sep 30, 2004
15,088
0
0
Georgia
baconmcshig.tumblr.com
mehdi_san said:
This is maybe a very dumb question, but I am asking very sincerely: why is everyone asking for a UMD version although we're getting a cheaper PSN one?
People love to complain.

I don't blame Sony one bit. Some may say there's no charity in a business, but boy, Sony even bothering to localize stuff like this sure seems to run contrary to that. It's nuts to me that people try to justify not supporting the effort of a company that, against all common sense, seems to be earnestly trying to get good games into their hands.

Never mind that all of these people vocalizing support for UMDs were nowhere to be found when Sony released LocoRoco 2 for a ridiculously generous price, or when NIS asked them to put their money where their mouth was and pledge orders toward a pressing of Badman, to mention but a few of many examples.
 

Bebpo

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
30,396
1
0
39
Orange County, CA
mehdi_san said:
This is maybe a very dumb question, but I am asking very sincerely: why is everyone asking for a UMD version although we're getting a cheaper PSN one?
Some people like to have physical copy of a game on their shelf.
Some people don't believe these games will be re-downloadable 20 years from now, whereas your UMD will still work.
 
Shig said:
People love to complain.

I don't blame Sony one bit. Some may say there's no charity in a business, but boy, Sony even bothering to localize stuff like this sure seems to run contrary to that. It's nuts to me that people try to justify not supporting the effort of a company that, against all common sense, seems to be earnestly trying to get good games into their hands.

Never mind that all of these people vocalizing support for UMDs were nowhere to be found when Sony released LocoRoco 2 for a ridiculously generous price, or when NIS asked them to put their money where their mouth was and pledge orders toward a pressing of Badman, to mention but a few of many examples.
Hmmm, although I'm sure that's true for some people, it's not true for everyone. I just like owning physical copies of the games I buy. I like cases and instruction manuals and an actual disc/cartridge, etc.

I'm not saying Sony *should* release a UMD version of this game, I'm saying that I, personally, would like a UMD version of the game.

Oh, and I've already pre-ordered the UMD version of Badman 2 -- which includes Badman 1 -- so there ;)
 
Bebpo said:
Some people like to have physical copy of a game on their shelf.
Some people don't believe these games will be re-downloadable 20 years from now, whereas your UMD will still work.
Well I would understand them if it was MGS PW or Kingdom Hearts maybe, but this is a little cute puzzle/action game. Don't you people would rather have it on your memory stick so you can play short times between 2 sessions of, let's say, MGS (that would be in your UMD drive)?
Also, as Shig say, without PSN this game maybe wouldn't sell enough to justify the english localization !
Do these people complaining also complain that Braid didn't come on Bluray? Or pixeljunk shooter?