• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Best Kart Racers (That Are NOT Mario Kart)

10: Nickelodeon Kart Racers (lol. Maybe if it were the sequel. that game actually looks decent?)
9: Modnation Racers
8: Toy Story Racers
7: Cars 3
6: Blur
5: Lego Racers
4: Diddy Kong Racers
3: Jak X: Combat Racing
2: Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
1: Team Sonic Racing (Big LOOL! Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed was a much better game and one that would have deserved to be number 1. Team Sonic Racing is average as best.)

Last edited:

Dural

1-Sonic All-Stars Transformed
2-Sonic & Sega All-Stars
3-CTR PS1
4-Wacky Races on Dreamcast
5-Diddy Kong Racing

There are some others like Walt Disney World Magical Racing Tour and Looney Tunes Space Race on Dreamcast that are also good, better than several on that list.

10: Nickelodeon Kart Racers (lol. Maybe if it were the sequel. that game actually looks decent?)
1: Team Sonic Racing (Big LOOL! Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed was a much better game and one that would have deserved to be number 1. Team Sonic Racing is average as best.)

Blur is the best mario kart without mario and kart.

It deserves a remaster!

This and Split/Second Velocity!

Whitecrow

Banned
No Chocobo's Racing, no credibility
maxresdefault.jpg

Also, no Whacky Wheels

44ff02caffa24fbfa330669001ac1d07.jpg
My god WW was the last thing on earth I would expect to remember.
Some incredible times back then.

Kokoloko85

Street racer was pretty cool on the megadrive back in the old days
Sonic is probably the right answer. I prefer it to the recent Mario Karts

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Still waiting for Kartrider Drift to be released on PC. We really need a big kart racing game on the platform, the Sonic games are getting old, and Activision is giving PC the middle finger lately with their Crash releases.

Saber

Gold Member
Diddy Kong Racers?
Sonic Team Racing at first?
No mention about Sonic and Sega All Star Racing?

Trash list with zero credibility.

JimiNutz

Banned
The world needs more kart racers.

I know it's not the same Rare anymore but I'd like a Banjo Racing spiritual successor to Diddy Kong Racing.

kuncol02

Banned

Wait! What?! All-Stars Racing is not on first place? What the hell?

Blueghost

Neo Member
Team sonic racing on the top spot?!? Lol never enjoyed the team mechanic, always found it dumb and very intrusive, game was a huge let down to me. Racing transformed was the right pick, great gameplay and track design, spent the whole gen wishing for a remaster at 60fps, oh well...

Bragr

Banned
Is that Jak cart game really that good? How many Sonic racers are there? Everyone keep saying one of them suck and one owns.

Bragr

Banned
Oh, and Modnation Racers has the worst loading in any game ever, it was fucking unplayable despite being a fair game in terms of game play.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I keep hearing good things about Blur. I need to pick up a copy (it's probably cheap now).

Nice to see more than one person mention the Street Racer games. GAF has good taste, as usual. I played the SNES version growing up but recently tried the Saturn version. It's so good.

Maybe it doesn't count as a kart racer, but Battle Cross on SNES is worth a try.

Has items for boosts / attacks just like Mario Kart.

I could not agree more, probably my favorite cart racing game ever (that After Burner level with the music!).

Andodalf

Banned
SART is one of the best games ever, and if it wasn’t for framerate issues that make some courses near impossible, the vita version would be the perfect handheld game

Team Sonic absolutely deserves it.
  • Unique team racing mechanics.
  • 60fps on console. Sonic Transformed & CTR have no excuse for this.
Also loving the Jak X and MNR shoutouts, fantastic games.

Last edited:
How many Sonic racers are there? Everyone keep saying one of them suck and one owns.
well there's...
Sonic Drift, for the game gear wich is just "Meh" and it coud've been literally any other game.
Sonic Drift 2, wich is the same as the first but with more characters and tracks
Sonic R, wich is the one people say sucks, although it's honestly not that Bad
Sonic Riders, wich is great but it's one of those games that require tons of skills and mastering (i think many of the same people also worked on F-Zero GX or something)
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, wich is also great and it's easier to pick up and play
Sonic Free Riders, wich coud've been good but is entirely unplayable thanks to it being an entirely motion controlled Kinect exclusive that barely works, therefore it's sucks balls.
Sonic & SEGA Allstars Racing, wich is good, and way more accesible than the other ones, being the most like Mario Kart and including other SEGA Ip's besides Sonic
Sonic & SEGA Allstars Racing Transformed, wich is just as good and adds a Mario Kart 7 esque Sky, Water and Land mechanic
and Team Sonic Racing, the newest one, wich is also good, it only uses Sonic characters but atleast it has a story mode, wich Mario Kart should definetely have.

Banned

LOOOOL Modnation Racers? xD hell no. Nickelodeon Kart Racers? HAHAHA good joke... these guys are funny

OIP.6sAjzyQs08FmlQ92-s3X0AHaEK

THIS RIGHT HERE, is a legitimately great kart racer. what started as a crappy Kinect game was retooled and expanded upon to be one of the best Kart Racers out there.
it's very simple, very classic fun. 2 player splitscreen, driving across the playground maps to find and get all the unlockables... just good old local MP fun

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
For me it's:
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (360+PC)
Diddy Kong racing (N64)
Mario Kart (Snes)

I'm not exactly sure of the correct order there, those three brought me a lot of joy though. The transformed Sonic Transformed sequel was also decent, but it didn't click for me (excellent music mind), TSR should in no way be even close to the top, very meh sequel. I didn't particularly like any of the Mario Kart sequels for whatever reason. No other Kart racers have remotely interested me, although I did enjoy Sonic R, but I wouldn't classify it as a Kart racer personally.

For obvious reasons my ideal Kart racer would include the best aspects of all three games I mentioned. The perfect drifting, speed and music of Sonic racing games, great roster of Mario Kart and all round great presentation and the hub and story of Diddy, not to mention the three different vehicle types (attempted in Sonic Transformed, but just not as fun an implementation imho).

Top Bottom