• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 best video game movies of all time

Cato

Banned
The DOOM movie.
Sure it was not exactly great but it did represent the actual game reasonably faithfully.
A marine, too angry to die, just killing deamons. That is all.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

The Spirits Within at number 1? Lmfao everybody knows it should be Alone in the Dark at the top spot.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Literally not one single video game movie is actually a good movie. We just give them passes for not sucking quite as hard as most.

If you're gonna do this you need to rank them by how fun they are regardless of quality, and MK takes the top spot.

Cato

Banned
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Come on, RDR2 is basically a western, but RDR2 sucks as a game.
TGTBTU is a western too and it rocks.

Good God! that's a horrible list, This writer don't know her video game movies from her elbow. (As mentioned in the post above me) Not that there has ever been a "good" movie based on Video games.. But I would still put MK and MK Annihilation in the first two spots respectively, Pikachu I guess belongs on the list, I haven't seen Warcraft, but I trust that it belongs there, first Resident Evil as well, sure, why not... Was the latest Tomb Raider any good? It cannot possible be good, since I honestly cannot remember if I saw it or not, and apparently it just came out about two years ago! Where is one of Angelina Jolie Tomb Raiders? Hitman Agent 47? What about Whalberg's Max Payne? I also remember enjoying Aaron Paul's Need for Speed that came out few years ago, it was a very simple, straight forward, chase (fugitive on the run) film, with great performances by Aaron Paul, Micheal Keaton and the hot chick Aaron Paul is running away with. Yeah , that's a bad list.

PocoJoe

Banned
The DOOM movie.
Sure it was not exactly great but it did represent the actual game reasonably faithfully.
A marine, too angry to die, just killing deamons. That is all.

DOOM is actually great action movie. Maybe people take it too seriously, dunno.

I watch it 1-2 times/year and always fun to see it.

Soldiers, monsters, space = epic.

Resident evil saga is also good, not perfect but again if watching too seriously, maybe that is a problem.

I would add doom as 1# then resident evils+silent hill and mortal kombat + tomb raider movies

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Kojima game.

tenor.gif

I quite liked Detective Pikachu and Wreck It Ralph.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
DOOM is actually great action movie. Maybe people take it too seriously, dunno.

I watch it 1-2 times/year and always fun to see it.

*snip*

I don't think I hate myself enough to do this.

Silent Hill still probably takes the cake as best adaptation. They really fucked up the sequel though.

Last edited:

Cravis

My first thought was there isn’t even 10 decent game adaptations much less 10 to make a “best of list.”

When I got to Prince of Persia on the list and the first thing the writer mentioned was whitewashing I noped out and didn’t bother to finish reading.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Final Fantasy as number 1?! Fuck you

Even thou Detective Pikachu is really great, it's kinda weird at the same time. So Mortal Kombat, even with no gore, worked better. Also, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa's Shang Tsung was the best choice of cast ever

Psykodad

Banned
The Spirits Within wasn't that bad, it was just a shit FF-movie. Lol

My top 5* would probably be:

1 - FF VII Advent Children (but only because FFVII)
2 - Silent Hill
3 - World of Warcraft (but never played WoW, so that probably helps)
4 - Mortal Kombat (because nostalgia)
5 - Tomb Raider (because Angelina Jolie)

* I can set the bar rather low if I feel like it

SCB3

My first thought was there isn’t even 10 decent game adaptations much less 10 to make a “best of list.”

When I got to Prince of Persia on the list and the first thing the writer mentioned was whitewashing I noped out and didn’t bother to finish reading.

I kinda agree though, PoP was a fun film but Jake Gyllenhall is quite clearly a white american! Ben Kingsley though was great, I remember Disney thought this was the replacement for Pirates theough

Still most of that list is good, Rachet and Clank is a great film, though Assassins Creed is bad, like laughingly bad, theres no plot at all

Forget adaptations, the best game movies are those inspired by games, not trying to do the artistic equivelelant of shoving a square peg into a round hole.

Edge of Tomorrow, Hardcore Henry, eXistenZ, now those are great video game movies.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Mortal Kombat is by far the best videogame movie, period. Recreates the spirit of the game perfectly, doesn't try to include some serious bullshit drama to justify siliness of the original product.
The same goes for DOOM Annihilation. Very gamey movie with pretty much no explanation. They even got explosives barrels :D

Is Max Payne any good? I got that at Goodwill years ago and still haven't watched it.

Very meh, not memorable at all.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The list kinda starts and ends with mk1 and street fighter, and they are both in the "soo bad it's good" category.

Warcraft movie was very nice but i'm not a fan of the saga.
Also dead or alive for the pussy.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

THE SPIRITS WITHIN?!

4bgF9Hx.gif

That was one of the most boring pieces of crap I've had to sit through for 2 hours. I only paid for it to watch the Spider-Man trailer.

Nymphae

Banned
If you're gonna do this you need to rank them by how fun they are regardless of quality, and MK takes the top spot

It still cracks me up that we can say "I thoroughly enjoy this and it's almost universally viewed as a fun movie and is pretty faithful to the source material.....but it's also objectively bad."

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It still cracks me up that we can say "I thoroughly enjoy this and it's almost universally viewed as a fun movie and is pretty faithful to the source material.....but it's also objectively bad."

Freddy Got Fingered is always my go-to for this, being simultaneously one of the worst and one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ugh. terrible list. i remember seeing that Final Fantasy movie in theater and being incredibly disappointed.

Super Mario Bros. The Movie is vastly underrated. i thought it was weird as a kid but on rewatch it is just so much fun. not only for the camp but for the incredible casting. Dennis Hopper and Bob Hoskins people!!!

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Freddy Got Fingered is always my go-to for this, being simultaneously one of the worst and one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

I have just grown sick of the film school obsession with objective categorization of things as good or bad according to some film nut's ideas of what cinema is. Like a good percentage of stuff that is praised as the best examples of cinema bore the shit out of me. I'll take MK over The Killing Fields any day, I actually walked out of that movie. Is it an objectively good movie? Maybe? I don't know or care, what I do know is I walked out of it and have watched MK like 10 times. Am I an idiot? Maybe.

Last edited:

Cravis

Forgot to mention:

Alone in the Dark is arguably the worst movie I've ever seen.
The only thing I remember about this terrible movie is the scene in the dark with the metal music where you couldn’t see shit just the terribly computer generated muzzle flashes of the guns.

AV

I have just grown sick of the film school obsession with objective categorization of things as good or bad according to some film nut's ideas of what cinema is. Like a good percentage of stuff that is praised as the best examples of cinema bore the shit out of me. I'll take MK over The Killing Fields any day, I actually walked out of that movie. Is it an objectively good movie? Maybe? I don't know or care, what I do know is I walked out of it and have watched MK like 10 times. Am I an idiot? Maybe.

I get what you mean, but I think there are objective truths to some of these things - I can appreciate that Citizen Kane is spectacularly well shot, but it does bore me to watch.

Conversely (and in game terms) I'm an avid Classic WoW player, it's maybe my favourite game ever despite it being deeply flawed.

Hinedorf

Banned
This list is one hell of a confirmation that all video game movies are horrible.

I would personally pick Ready Player One though it's sort of it's own thing and not based of a specific video game, far and away the most complete movie

Nymphae

Banned
I get what you mean, but I think there are objective truths to some of these things - I can appreciate that Citizen Kane is spectacularly well shot, but it does bore me to watch.

For sure, but it's this ultimate summation of a thing as Good or Bad that irks me, you yourself have admitted that MK needs to be placed into the objectively bad camp, despite the near universal praise for the overall experience itself. It absolutely has a lot of elements one could be critical of, but I think the ultimate determining factor in whether or not something is "good or bad", is simply how you felt about time you spent.

AV

I think the ultimate determining factor in whether or not something is "good or bad", is simply how you felt about time you spent.

Can't quite agree; films like The Room are enjoyed by people purely because they're so bad. That's obviously not the case with MK, but how cheesy, janky and campy it is definitely contributes to people loving it, even though they're not necessarily good qualities.

Nymphae

Banned
Can't quite agree; films like The Room are enjoyed by people purely because they're so bad.

I guess I just start to wonder why we still feel the need to stipulate something is bad despite enjoying the experience. I try not to do this anymore and if I enjoyed something I'm like "yeah that was good"

AV

I guess I just start to wonder why we still feel the need to stipulate something is bad despite enjoying the experience. I try not to do this anymore and if I enjoyed something I'm like "yeah that was good"

I think sometimes it can emphasise how much you enjoyed a thing; "despite some obvious flaws I really enjoyed it" sounds like you appreciated something more than just "I really enjoyed it". Maybe. Dunno.

stranno

Where is my Uwe Boi?

51UaCZE.gif

I mean, look at that stunt mat included in the cut, those stroboscopic House of the Dead 2 gameplay segments.. AAA direction skills right there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom