• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films to See In April (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you against people watching a fun popcorn flick?

I gave the trailer to a guy at work and he got pretty angry. It's because of people like you that these people are rich. I NEVER thought I would get a response like that from him. He loves stuff like LotR, Hobbit, Game of Thrones. It was really weird.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I gave the trailer to a guy at work and he got pretty angry. It's because of people like you that these people are rich. I NEVER thought I would get a response like that from him. He loves stuff like LotR, Hobbit, Game of Thrones. It was really weird.
Pardon?

Avengers, Lost River, and Furious 7 will finally bring me into paying to see movies again. Haven't gone since Guardians of the Galaxy.

Go see Ex Machina. Finally, non-UK people get to see easily the most confident sci fi film of the year. Not enough people are praising just beyond the themes and acting, the visual FX (Double Negative, got an Oscar on Interstellar) on Ava.

Ex-Machina%20%20big_0.jpg

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Probably Clouds of Sils Maria, Ex Machina, About Elly (probably at home since I have been sitting on a copy for like 5 years), Ned Rifle, 5 to 7, and maybe Furious 7 in IMAX while drunk or high.

i'll watch half of that list by the end of the year. but fast 7 in theaters this month.

actually maybe ex machina too, that will probably get a wide release here.

amaretto

I actually want to see Ex Machina and Lost River the most out of these.

Also, I'm finally approved to post so hello, GAF!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lost River definitely. The Water Diviner probably. Furious 7 maybe. From a cursory glance it seems nothing else I'm interested in is releasing here this month (well, LR isn't, either, but at least I can jump through some hoops to buy it from Amazon).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
don't watch Water Diviner. It's a ridiculous serie of trite tropes, even worse than Australia (the movie, not the country). Reminded me of Corelli's Mandolin at times, which was not a good thing at all

BEtween those ten I'd want to see either Furious 7 or Ex Machina.

Furious 7 because I fucking love action movie like that no matter what. And Ex Machina to scratch my sci-fi itch.

Where's Avengers?

Yup, the only one I'm going to the cinema for, is Avengers: Age of Ultron on April 23.

It doesn't open in the U.S. until May 1st.

Really looking forward to Water Diviner.

Also interested in Clouds of Sils Maria. That's the movie Stewart won the award for, right? Really intrigued to see how good she is and if it's a career defining performance...

Yep, first American actress to do so. It's quite good.

8 films that you will not ever have access to, and two films that are super popular. Just click on the link.

We do not want to be the Pitchfork of film, but we totally want to be the Pitchfork of film.

It is not about enjoying film, it is about dying while watching said fim

I have no idea what this means, really. But I simply pick the films that I can A) verify I love. B) look the most promising. I take no account into the budget of it. As for the "8 films you will not ever have access to," that simply isn't true. 3 will be on VOD, 1 will get one of the biggest releases of the year, and at least 2-3 should expand to most markets.

How scary/chilling is True Story? Interested in it but I tend to be squeamish. Thanks!

I would say virtually none of it is "squeamish," it's more about a psychological mindgame. The actual tone of it is fairly audience-friendly. The only disturbing section is the crimes by James Franco's character, but it's more the idea behind it than anything you see on screen.

Is that a remake of Cleo from 5 to 7?

I actually asked the director this and he had never seen it. Having seen both films, no, definitely not.

Isn't Iris available for people with Netflix (or one of the streaming services) already?

Not yet and I don't believe it's going to VOD immediately.

Please, don't watch Furious 7. Unless you feel like watching it because of Paul Walker and the homage they made.

As someone who generally dislikes most blockbusters, I had an insane amount of fun with Furious 7.

Isn't Clouds of Sils Maria on VOD and Blu ray already?

Not legally in the United States.

maxcriden

I would say virtually none of it is "squeamish," it's more about a psychological mindgame. The actual tone of it is fairly audience-friendly. The only disturbing section is the crimes by James Franco's character, but it's more the idea behind it than anything you see on screen.

That's very helpful. Thank you!

BTW, any idea if Kumiko might get a wider release, and if not, if a DVD/digital release would be in the cards soon-ish?

maxcriden

It's slowly expanding, doubt it'll go very wide. Usually digital release is about 3 months from now.

Sounds good. I wasn't sure if it might be one of those indies that gets an early digital release to drive buzz a bit. Really eager to see that one. Anyway, thanks!

linsivvi

8 films that you will not ever have access to, and two films that are super popular. Just click on the link.

We do not want to be the Pitchfork of film, but we totally want to be the Pitchfork of film.

Do us a favor and don't ever come back to his threads then.

Expendable makes a comprehensive list of films every month, both mainstream and not.

If you just want a list of the top 10 action $100M+ English-only films every month, just go to the box office thread. Don't shit up a very positive and useful thread for the rest of us.

None, they all look like shite.
Why?

Ugh. I was going to respond to this but linsivvi did it better.

Expendable makes a comprehensive list of films every month, both mainstream and not.

If you just want a list of the top 10 action $100M+ English-only films every month, just go to the box office thread. Don't shit up a very positive and useful thread for the rest of us.

Trio of films premiering on 10th April in UK seem interesting.

Jauja
Synopsis: A father and daughter journey from Denmark to an unknown desert that exists in a realm beyond the confines of civilization.
Trailer

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence

Synopsis: A story centered on a pair of traveling salesmen who peddle novelty items.
Trailer

Bypass
Synopsis: Tim is a good kid. Tim is a criminal.
Trailer

Amazon ships internationally and there is nothing "illegal" about buying a DVD from Europe.

Sorry, should have clarified. Until Friday, it has not been released by a U.S. distributor.

8QIck90.gif

How does About Elly stack up against The Past? I enjoyed A Separation a lot but The Past is not too far behind in terms of impact.

A Separation is tops for me, but About Elly is a close second. The Past felt a little too contrived for me, but I still liked it.

Trio of films premiering on 10th April in UK seem interesting.

Jauja
Synopsis: A father and daughter journey from Denmark to an unknown desert that exists in a realm beyond the confines of civilization.
Trailer

A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence

Synopsis: A story centered on a pair of traveling salesmen who peddle novelty items.
Trailer

Bypass
Synopsis: Tim is a good kid. Tim is a criminal.
Trailer

Jauja keeps growing in my mind. Such a great movie. Can not wait to see Pigeon, got a screening next week. Watched Songs from the Second Floor a few months ago, need to watch You, the Living in the next few days.

kch

Ex Machina was supposed to screen on March 20 here in Sweden but was apparently pushed back to an unknown date with no reason given. Sigh!
UK blu-ray release is only a couple of months away though, guess that will do.

Liamario

Banned
Age of Ultron. The TV spots were more enticing than the actual full trailers. In Ireland, so will be seeing it April 24th. Anyone like to babysit?

I already saw Furious 7 (which was great), and am planning to see Ex Machina.

None of the others interest me that much, unless they start getting some great reviews or Oscar buzz.

I already saw Furious 7 (which was great), and am planning to see Ex Machina.

None of the others interest me that much, unless they start getting some great reviews or Oscar buzz.

Clouds of Sils Maria, Ex Machina, Iris and About Elly have all gotten "some great reviews."

Ex Machina is the most alluring film on this list. Particularly after the rave reviews. Any word on a potential VOD release yet? This and It Follows are my two most anticipated films right now so I'm patiently waiting for the VOD releases for both. I take it April 10 refers to Ex Machina's US theatrical release? Not VOD?

Ex Machina is the most alluring film on this list. Particularly after the rave reviews. Any word on a potential VOD release yet? This and It Follows are my two most anticipated films right now so I'm patiently waiting for the VOD releases for both. I take it April 10 refers to Ex Machina's US theatrical release? Not VOD?

VOD release will be in around 3 months.

About Elly is an outstanding film. Recommend seeing it. Would have thought it was on Netflix by now seeing as its years old now.

Hopefully the android doesn't turn into a slasher villain in the third act!

Yes, still bitter about Sunshine.

Man I couldn't make it through Sunshine, maybe I should give it another chance, or maybe not based on what you said?

Is Machina only doing a NY/LA deal tomorrow? Couldn't really find much info on where it's showing.

overcast

Any word on the rollout for Ex Machina? I assume Sils will be very limited.

If they both don't hit locally I'll probably head over to LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom