• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In September (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Oh god are some of you in the last dozen posts or so actually legitimately thinking Bucky Larson looks awesome or has my sarcasm detector not yet turned on for the day

Saw a sneak preview of Warrior last night and holy shit it was great. I highly recommend it.

I'm also really hyped for Drive.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, is that Ryan Gosling about to strangle a guy with murder gloves?
Awesome.

big ander said:
Oh god are some of you in the last dozen posts or so actually legitimately thinking Bucky Larson looks awesome or has my sarcasm detector not yet turned on for the day

Not only is it broken it may not exist.

big ander

CaptYamato said:
Not only is it broken it may not exist.
I was in on everyone joking around before but then there were two posts saying it would be good...I dunno I didn't really sleep last night

icarus-daedelus said:
God damn Warrior just looks generic as hell. I can't get excited about it no matter how great the performances are alleged to be. Like, I can't count how many times I've seen this movie before.

It's a sports movie. They peaked at Mighty Ducks.

kaskade

Most of the movies on the list were under my radar, but I watched a few trailers and they look pretty damn good. Contagion looks up my alley. I find those pandemic movies scare the shit out of me. They have that it's kind of possible thing going on.

Blader

Going to a screening of Warrior tonight, looking forward to it.

Update: Saw it, loved it. And if this movie was any indication (and if anyone still isn't convinced), Hardy is going to fucking KILL as Bane. What a goddamn animal!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
REALLY interested in seeing Limelight... maybe we can get a documentary about Twilo, the most legendary club in NYC history, in the future? (I can dream, can't I)

v0yce

icarus-daedelus said:
God damn Warrior just looks generic as hell. I can't get excited about it no matter how great the performances are alleged to be. Like, I can't count how many times I've seen this movie before.

Plus they seem to reveal so much of the plot in the trailer. This trend really needs to stop. (i know it won't) I can only assume the final match is a pretty big part of the story. Why spoil that in the trailer?

Drive and Moneyball for me. Can't wait. Probably Contagion too if reviews are solid. Trailer seems tired and dull but in Soderbergh I trust.

HiResDes said:
Raging Bull exists, guys
You know how Blade Runner and 2001 are so above other Sci-fi flicks that they don't count? Because it isn't fair. That's what Raging Bull is to sports movies.

Seanspeed

Banned
I dont get excited about movies too much lately, but I'm pretty stoked about Conatagion and Warrior. Even if they just turn out 'good' rather than 'great', I'll be happy.

I love a good boxing movie. Most movies about sports tend to be generic and somewhat cheesy, but there's still some that stand out. Cinderella Man is a fantastic example. Nothing really original or anything, just fantastically executed. Warrior looks like it could be another solid boxing movie. I'm excited.

And boy, I'll watch most any disaster movie(though I refused to watch 2012). I dont know why, but I love 'power-of-nature-threatens-feeble-human-beings' stories. I even watched, and somewhat enjoyed, Supervolcano that was on the SciFi network or something. Shit's crazy. And yea, microscopic germs that will kill the entire human race(or at least cripple civizilation) is pretty awesome stuff, too. And how many good actors are in it? They cant have ALL have signed on to a bad movie, right? I'm especially excited about this one. I think Inception was the last movie I was this excited to see.

brianjones said:
i dont even really consider raging bull a sports movie

i guess cause its so untraditional

I really wouldn't call it a sports movie either. It's more of a drama that happens to be about a boxer. I think the way it ends
(with him becoming a total fuck up hosting some seedy parlor show, totally removed from the boxing arena)
really solidifies that the focus is on the character, not any sort of glorification of the sport of boxing. Even the fights that do occur are meant to show Jake LaMotta's obstinance and other character traits much moreso than to look cool or be, as tired a phrase as this is, "epic."

Blader

Seanspeed said:
I love a good boxing movie. Most movies about sports tend to be generic and somewhat cheesy, but there's still some that stand out. Cinderella Man is a fantastic example. Nothing really original or anything, just fantastically executed. Warrior looks like it could be another solid boxing movie. I'm excited.

As a sucker for good sports movies (and totally ambivalent to how cliched the genre is), I loved Warrior, so you'll probably like it too.

Blader5489 said:
As a sucker for good sports movies (and totally ambivalent to how cliched the genre is), I loved Warrior, so you'll probably like it too.

As someone who ISN'T a sucker for a good sports movie, I was surprised how much I enjoyed Warrior too.

overcast

Moneyball is continuing to get impressive reviews. I'll still wait for it to come out in blu.

Can't wait for 50/50, only 10 more days for that one.

Expendable. said:
I just copy and paste descriptions from IMDb.

Yeah, but average score is 7.2/10, which I would say is fitting for the film.

Yeah, that 100% just means you'd have a hard time not enjoying it, not that it is the greatest movie ever.

GCX

How is it possible that I've seen Tucker and Dale vs. Evil on DVD two months ago?

I guess it was released in Europe super early or something?

GCX said:
How is it possible that I've seen Tucker and Dale vs. Evil on DVD two months ago?

I guess it was released in Europe super early or something?

Yeah, it took forever to release it officially here in the US. It premiered way back at Sundance 2010.

I caught Tucker & Dale vs. Evil on tv last night and to my surprise it was actually pretty funny and entertaining. After seeing the trailer initially I thought it wouldn't deliver in the comedy department, but the movie definitely had it's share of good laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom