• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years ago, Sonic joined Super Smash Bros. Brawl

sonic.jpg

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/sonic.html

Yepper. October 10th, 2007 was a huge day for Nintendo fans. It was the moment so many had long waited for. After years of hoaxes, flash videos, you name it, it was now a reality; Mario would be facing Sonic in the then newest Super Smash Bros.

It was also the day/event where Monster Hunter 3 was announced to be a Wii exclusive, no longer even releasing on the PS3. Like I said, it was a huge day for Nintendo fans. :)

Here's the original thread where it all happened 10 years ago!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197522

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Truth be told I was afraid they'd put more than one Sonic character, thankfully 4 showed that third parties only get one guest star.

10 years!!!

I was HYPED for this. I was addicted to the Smash Dojo updates... and they mostly sucked. When I saw this, every time I woke up early to see what was on the site was made worth it.

It was insane.

SoulUnison

Banned
Sonic feels so half-assed in Smash, and how brilliantly they handled Mega Man only makes it more apparent.

I'm a massive Sonic fan and this was the most hype part of Brawl for me, but he's just not fun to play as and his moveset feels like it came from someone who played maybe one Sonic game a long time ago.

Why are his Down+B and Side+B almost exactly the same? Sonic has so many games to mine a moveset from! Hell, his Side+B should/could have been a rip-off of Fox's, seeing as "Light Speed Dash/Attack" is something the character has literally had.

I always felt that Sonic should have been "Sonic & Tails," with Tails following Sonic around Ice Climbers style and flying back onto the stage to rejoin Sonic after 15-20 seconds should he be killed, Sonic 2 style.
Up+B would be Air Lift, and it'd be unavailable if Tails wasn't present, making protecting your 'lil buddy a gameplay mechanic.

Trrzs

It's fun to see some of the first posts in that thread begging Nintendo for a voicechat option, 10 years later, here we are asking the same thing lol. About the thread, I'm glad Sonic joined Smash, opened the gate to see more third party characters, now we can play as Bayonetta and Cloud, mind blowing.

10 years since 10/10, wow... Man I'll never forget that day. It was the peak of an already insane hype cycle. Pre-Brawl days were something I will never, ever forget. I used to wake up to check the dojo and do other shit (like play games) at 5AM before school every morning and I woke everybody else up in the house because of how much I just couldn't believe it.

...Though the game getting delayed the exact same day was pretty crushing. But hey, still had Galaxy that Christmas, so I took it!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's fun to see some of the first posts in that thread begging Nintendo for a voicechat option, 10 years later, here we are asking the same thing lol. About the thread, I'm glad Sonic joined Smash, opened the gate to see more third party characters, now we can play as Bayonetta and Cloud, mind blowing.

Man, imagine showing 4's complete roster back during Brawl hype days.

I was so damn excited when this was announced. I was in highschool and was a huge fan of Sonic (I still am a fan, just not as unhinged) but I was disappointed with the end result. Sonic has barely any moves from his games outside of the spindash, homing attack, and a few animations from Sonic the Fighters. Would have loved to see moves related to Sonic Battle, Heroes, and other games.

Edit: Found this post from the 10 year old thread.

HOLY CRAP I JUST SHIT MY PANTS

GET THE POOPER SCOOPER

NEO0MJ

I remember how Nintendo snuch a delay to release with his announcement.

Sonic feels so half-assed in Smash, and how brilliantly they handled Mega Man only makes it more apparent.

Wasn't Sonic a late addition to the game that forced the team to drop work on Mewtwo and some clones? Sega took their time thinking over adding him to the game or not. It's why his story role was so small.

This update made me salty that day. Not a fan of both Sonic and third parties in Smash... But at least he has a cool movese- wait, everything he does is turning into spinballs.

Wasn't Sonic a late addition to the game that forced the team to drop work on Mewtwo and some clones? Sega took their time thinking over adding him to the game or not. It's why his story role was so small.

Yeah, Sonic wasn't part of the original development plan. I don't know if he really affected anyone else though. Mewtwo and the other Forbidden 7 not being in subspace means they probably weren't high priority to begin with. Sonic, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were all the last characters to be finished and Sakurai has implied the last three were all "low-priority" characters that they managed to squeeze in toward the end of development.

What a day. Homeroom. 10th grade. Had Smash Dojo opening up as a present tab on my Laptop. That morning was literally shocking. I never thought it could be possible. My friends were just as enraptured by that trailer. Unforgettable. What a day...

mindsale

I grew up in the age of Sonic and this was novel but not mind-blowing.

It was like Marlon Brando's cameos later in life when he was just a burnt-out caricature of his former glory.

Bubble

Neo Member
What a terrible day that was, and it sucks that all future Smash games will have Sonic in them. What a thrash character.

Balb

Was really cool back in the day. I hope there are more crossover games in the future. Not sure why they had to stop at Olympics (and Smash).

Lmao, one of the first posts in that 10 year old thread

"I want voicechat, Nintendo. Do you hear me?VOICECHAT!!! >:^("

And look what voucechat solution we have now 10 years later. :D

DMONKUMA

I'd be honest and say that was the main reason why I wanted brawl. Was really pumped that sonic would be in the game.

Also feels weird that it's been 10 years, I was in 7th grade when this came out.

Tagyhag

Damn, I remember being very hyped reading that at the Dojo right before school.

Daily Dojo updates were so good.

I went absolutely NUTZ back when he was first announced for Brawl, and the introduction video with the (admittedly, very cheesy) "Live and Learn" theme nearly made my head explode.
I think I was a high school freshman at the time, so I wasn't really allowed to stay up all night yet; I'd often build up a ton of hype thinking about the possibilities of the next dojo update while lying in bed.
My step dad said it sounded like I won the superbowl or something that morning. lol

While I do wish they'd give him a different side-B special (the fire shield dash attack, the blue tornado from Heroes, the light speed dash from the Adventure games, boost from Rush/Unleashed, the windmill kick from Sonic Battle, etc. take your pick SSB devs), I actually really enjoy using him and get a kick out of the fact that the vast majority of his normal attacks are lifted straight from the very obscure "Sonic the Fighters".
Also, playing mind games with the spind-dash and comboing with it is especially fun. I'm honestly surprised by how much control is given to the player with the spin-dash but it makes a lot of sense, it's sonic's signature ability. Of course he would use it to quickly lead into other attacks.

Mr Swine

Banned
Wow, ten years already? Wish they put in Dr Eggman in Brawl of WiiU/3DS Smash games. I really hope they will add him in he next Smash game.

I want Dr Eggman Final Smash be the Death Egg Robot!

GamerJM

Banned
This was one of the hypest things ever. Not long before this announcement my parents told me that they were taking me to the E For All Expo on our trip to southern California. Then days after that they announced that Brawl would be playable there. Then they announced that Sonic was going to be in the game and he was going to be playable in the build that they had at the expo. 13-year-old me was running wild with excitement.

ChrisD

Hypest announcement for Brawl was a decade ago.
The only thing that can make me feel more mind blown and lost will be when Brawl's release hits a decade old.

Gradon

As a Sonic fan at 13 years old I think I was running around the walls with excitement, I remember freaking out with my Sonic buds and it was just an amazing announcement for us.

Not

Banned
Ten years ago, I was 15, a sophomore in high school. My mom was trying to move us out of Oregon to Southern California, and we were living with my grandmother in Hermosa Beach. (It only lasted a little over 3 months. We moved back. It was weird.)

I was on my way to school in the morning when the news hit. Broke my mind.

I went to E for All that year in LA too! Got to play Brawl for the first time. Lost everytime. I met Mike Damiani in line there-- I had been following his Zelda Headquarters site (this was before his stint at Gametrailers) and I was kinda starstruck. I tried out Sonic and didn't do very well so I went back to Fox. Getting used to those sideways Wiimotes was a pain!

Still have at least one of the free shirts they were giving out! Did anybody else go that year?

NEO0MJ

Yeah, Sonic wasn't part of the original development plan. I don't know if he really affected anyone else though. Mewtwo and the other Forbidden 7 not being in subspace means they probably weren't high priority to begin with. Sonic, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf were all the last characters to be finished and Sakurai has implied the last three were all "low-priority" characters that they managed to squeeze in toward the end of development.

I have no doubt in my mind that if Sonic wasn't added Mewtwo would have made it in, especially since it seemed more work was done for him in comparison to the other cut characters.
But yeah not all clones we're gonna make it. Before the advent of DLC there are always characters getting chopped before fighting games are released. Even in the original SF IV Deejay and T Hawk were going to added but had to be cut. They made it back in the expansion, though.

Man, 2007 was when I transferred colleges for my third year of college, met most of my current friends, got back into videogames after a year hiatus, and I remember vividly attending the local Modern Warfare 2 and Super Smash Bros Brawl midnight launches at the only GameStop in my college town that was located in the local mall with the aforementioned friends (who had become my roommates)... Huge lines that wrapped all the way around the line for both, absolutely the biggest midnight launches I ever attended. Lots of drunken Rock Band was happening all the time, too.

Hard to believe that was already 10 years ago. I feel like it was just a few years ago.

Now I barely get to see those friends because of adult responsibilities, both games ended up personally disappointing in hindsight (ended up playing each for only like two weeks before dropping them), GameStop is no longer in that mall -- in fact that mall has completely renovated and is completely different, GameStop is barely even relevant at all anymore (I ended up working for GameStop for almost 3 years after college, too!), and, well... 2017 is insanely good for games, generally speaking (the loot box creep is starting to bug me now that it's fall and major publishers are all on-boarding with it, though).

And yes, I do remember specifically being pumped for Sonic's appearance in Smash. It was an insanely hype announcement. Was Snake announced yet, or was he after Sonic..? Because I lost my mind at both announcements.

Yeah that was great. I was extremely disappointed by the delay but I loved Sonic's introduction to the series, a bit of a shame he did next to nothing in the Subspace Emissary though.

Yeah that was great. I was extremely disappointed by the delay but I loved Sonic's introduction to the series, a bit of a shame he did next to nothing in the Subspace Emissary though.

He kind of did too much.

I know he appeared for like ten seconds at the end but in those ten seconds his blitzes the final boss doing permanent damage.

Would have rather someone was about to be hit by any energy beam and Sonic with his speed gets that character out of the way.

Top Bottom