• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100 Small things in Zelda BotW that will blow your mind - IGN

jmizzal

Might be some spoilers

I thought this might be a nice thread, I played over 50 hours and the first part of the list bolded are things I didnt know about lol

1) If you throw a rusty weapon at some Octoroks, they will suck it up and spit back out a cleaned, new weapon.

2) You can survive in cold environments without elixirs or warm clothes just by equipping a Fire Rod or a torch.

3) The temperature in the desert is lower in the shade than it is in the sun.

4) Killing animals in very hot or very cold climates will give you meat that's already cooked or chilled instead of raw meat.

5) If you use boulders, Cryonis, or other tricks to lift or dislodge an old rusted guardian you'll find more ancient materials underneath it.

6) If you befriend dogs at stables they'll sometimes lead you to buried treasure chests.

7) If you feed your horse an Endura Carrot it will have more dash charges when you mount it.

8) You can ride a bear. And a moose. And a deer.

9) You can (very briefly) mount and ride a Lynel. They don't like it very much.

10) You can ride an enemy's skeletal undead horse.

The rest at the link
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03...a-breath-of-the-wild-that-will-blow-your-mind

ryushe

1) If you throw a rusty weapon at some Octoroks, they will suck it up and spit back out a cleaned, new weapon.

2) You can survive in cold environments without elixirs or warm clothes just by equipping a Fire Rod or a torch.
Wait, wut?

-shadow-

Some are interesting. But doesn't the game actually tell you that you can use a (fire) rod to keep warm in cold environments?

jrush64

Banned
This game man

12) Link has a custom flexing idle animation if he doesn’t have a shirt equipped.

$

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The fuck there are skeletal undead horses in this???

70+ hours played and I haven't seen that.

There's a quest for taking a pic of it. You can try to ride it back to the stables but the guy there freaks out and refuses to register it because he's worried it will eat the other horses.

The horse is very well behaved though!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I thought the raw meat cooking on the ground on Death Mountain was a really cool touch. Any time I would kill animals in the area their remains would conveniently cook for me right away.

Somnid

The warmth point generalizes. Flame weapons also give you a heat boost, ice weapons can cool you down in hot climates.

There's a quest for taking a pic of it. You can try to ride it back to the stables but the guy there freaks out and refuses to register it because he's worried it will eat the other horses.

The horse is very well behaved though!

I actually did this last night! Was really sad when I couldn't board it. Didn't know there was a quest for taking a pic of it though...glad I snapped a shot!

Griss

This is what happens when a game is delayed this long despite having an all-star team developing it.

It ends up polished to the highest of quality, with touches that scream 'labour of love' bursting from every pore.

The delays were torture, but my god were they worth it in the end.

The fuck there are skeletal undead horses in this???

70+ hours played and I haven't seen that.

I found my first one in the top left of the map, by one of the mazes, I forget the area name.

I was so close to getting to a stable before dawn but didn't make it in time, so it disintegrated. No idea if you can actually board them at the stable though, probably not.

EDIT: Ah, answered above.

RagnarokX

I'm surprised people don't figure this out. I also like to drop all of my fire weapons around ice to melt it faster instead of wasting the durability or building a fire.

Sendou

So much just works. Like if you want campsite during rain you have to go under a tree to be able to light it up.

Caelus

I'm surprised people don't figure this out. I also like to drop all of my fire weapons around ice to melt it faster instead of wasting the durability or building a fire.

Fuck! That would've been useful at the Hebra Tower. You continue to earn your tag.

Soroc

LOL I usually build a campfire next to them to melt them. Didn't even think about dropping my fire weapons instead!

13ruce

Banned
Holy Shit all those tiny details this is why it's a 10/10 people.

I knew most but learned like 25+ new things!

What's surprising is most of those are communicated to the player, directly or indirectly. You can discover it on your own or learn it when the game wants you to. Say, the rusty weapon trick. There's a rock on death mountain with a line of rusty weapons leading to an octorok.

BashNasty

I've played this game for over 90 hours and been all over the map, and I've never seen a bear.

Where do you find bears?

spekkeh

Banned
Goddamn so many fire arrows wasted.

28) Cooking during a blood moon creates “critical success” super-strong foods.
Why did I never think of trying this out?

The elemental effect of dropping a weapon works with any type, too.

You can skip an entire puzzle in one of the dungeons by just putting two lightning weapons in the right place.

Mega

Banned
Wait, wut?

Yup.

I went up Mt Lanaryu with only the warm doublet from the start of the game. Wasn't enough and I didn't come with enough warming elixirs. In desperation and remembering being warm at campfires on the Great Plateau, I equipped a flamesword from my inventory and it got me through the mission. I still do this when I'm in snowy high altitudes since I haven't yet found other warm equips.

I'm surprised you can ride a moose. That's the huge one with the enormous antlers, right? Because I put on my full stealth equip, took a stealth potion and approached one very slowly and couldn't do it...? I know you can ride an elk.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
40) You can shoot an electric arrow into a body of water to kill all the fish swimming in the area. They’ll float to the surface.

That seems like a fairly obvious thing I didn't think to try.

Pinky

Banned
This is what happens when a game is delayed this long despite having an all-star team developing it.

It ends up polished to the highest of quality, with touches that scream 'labour of love' bursting from every pore.

The delays were torture, but my god were they worth it in the end.

Well said! It was very much worth the wait.

Yup.

I went up Mt Lanaryu with only the warm doublet from the start of the game. Wasn't enough and I didn't come with enough warming elixirs. In desperation and remembering being warm at campfires on the Great Plateau, I equipped a flamesword from my inventory and it got me through the mission. I still do this when I'm in snowy high altitudes since I haven't yet found other warm equips.
Warm doublet + spicy food also works.

For high-level resistance, you can just double up on low-level resistance things.

Top Bottom