• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

101st Indianapolis 500 - May 28th |OT| We Got Bigger Crowds than Trump's Inauguration

Yeah, I must admit I was actually tuning in because Alonso was participating. Don't know what happened that made him step away from F1, but just his name made me remember to tune in.

Kind of unusual to see a rookie designation next to his name though, haha

He stepped away from F1 for this race, because his Honda-powered McLaren is unreliable and the engine tends to blow up all the time. If the car lasts an entire race, it tends to be incredibly slow, because Honda is down on power to prevent reliability issues.

He wanted to take a break from all this, after two previous horrible seasons with the same issues and still no improvement. Only to have his Honda engine blow up in this race, too.

DD

Road Atlanta > Road America

Imma let you finish, but Sebring owns

A pity ISC owns it now...

No way! :p

Just noticed the podium: Japan, Brazil, United Arab Emirates.

The world is beating America at their own game! But seriously, I like having this diverse a field in IndyCar. I hope it changes the perception of IndyCar just being some weird American thing.
Man, I remember when Brazil had like 10 drivers or something like that on the grid. It was huge here, not like F1 because of Senna and all that, but it was huge nonetheless. Now we have only two 42 year olds. =/

DD

Great circuit yes. But will never be safe enough for F1.

I think it is the opposite of that, to be honest. It believe that RA is probably the easiest track to be made suitable for F1 without having to change it too much. Of course, these four escape areas need to be increased...

ZzaJfKX.jpg

They'll need to build new grandstands, now hospitality zones, new pits, etc. But in terms of F1 safety standards, the modifications should be just a few, I think. But it would produce amazing races, with three 1 km flatout zones.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I think it is the opposite of that, to be honest. It believe that RA is probably the easiest track to be made suitable for F1 without having to change it too much. Of course, these four escape areas need to be increased...

ZzaJfKX.jpg

They'll need to build new grandstands, now hospitality zones, new pits, etc. But in terms of F1 safety standards, the modifications should be just a few, I think. But it would produce amazing races, with three 1 km flatout zones.
I think they'll need to make a huge run off area at the kink after the carousel. Something similar to 130R. When a car loses it there it's going be massive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA_2xgQ6PvI&t=13s

DD

I think they'll need to make a huge run off area at the kink after the carousel. Something similar to 130R. When a car loses it there it's going be massive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA_2xgQ6PvI&t=13s

You're right, and there's a road right above blocking this possibility (the same problem with the Tamburello turn in Imola, with a river right beside it). :p

Pehaps they could remove the kink (like I did in orange), make a chicane (like they did in Imola) or use the alternative route made already (in blue).

zovvlpl.jpg

foltzie1

I'm still surprised that F1 and Indy couldn't come to terms with having the US Grand Prix in Indy.

Assuming it was ran now I think it wouldn't have left since Indy is now co-promoting musical acts on site which draws another 20-30K on site, which wasn't a thing with the US Grand Prix was previously ran.

Mastah

BT Sport/ESPN aired the race exclusively live from 16:30 to 21:30. The complete broadcast, including studio build-up and post-race reaction, averaged 129k (0.91%) across the five-hour time slot.

The peak audience though came at 20:30 as Alonso’s Andretti Autosport car retired from the race, with 203k (1.15%) watching. An audience of 191k (1.04%) watched Takuma Sato’s victory at 20:55, so encouragingly the extra viewers stuck around for the conclusion of the race.

Last year’s Indianapolis 500 averaged just 12k (0.09%) on BT Sport 1, peaking with 31k (0.16%). In percentage terms, that is a year on year increase of 975 percent based on the average, and an increase of 555 percent based on the peak figure!

https://f1broadcasting.co/2017/05/29/alonsos-indy-500-exploit-peaks-with-203000-viewers/

Nice.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
when Castroneves took that runoff on the inside he passed over a kinda speedbump on that place that made the car jump and lose some rear bodywork

Ahh. So that's why he lost his back right air flare. Or whatever the hell it's called.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Lets hope that with Liberty stepping in Tilke will see a severe downtick on business from FOM in the future.
I'd rather not see that risk be taken.

Alonso won rookie of the year, btw, even though Ed Jones finished third. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom