• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 hour train ride tomorrow. What DS game to get?

Reilly

It's between Contra 4, Pokemon Diamond, and DQM: Joker.

The Best Buy in my area is pretty much sold out of everything else (downtown Manhattan).

Looking for a good story game rather than a puzzle game.

Mr.City

I can only recommend Pokemon Diamond since I've never played the other two. However, if you're looking for a good story, might I recommend a Phoenix Wright game?

Reilly

Crushed said:
Yeah, Contra 4 sounds like the ticket.
Well, I mean a game with a story, rather than a puzzle game (like Picross)

Mr.City said:
I can only recommend Pokemon Diamond since I've never played the other two. However, if you're looking for a good story, might I recommend a Phoenix Wright game?

Sold out.

I still haven't bought NSMB. Can that be lengthy?

Assuming you're a completist who enjoys grinding, Pokemon can make your 12 hour train ride gleefully melt away. Bonus: You can also read a book and listen to an ipod while doing this.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Advance Wars, Lunar Knights or either Castlevania (shut up Crushed, Metroidvania is fine too!)

Or how about Puzzle Quest...story based puzzle game?

Grab a copy of Brain Age somewhere and play the Sudoku portion. None of those have good stories nor will they last 12 hours.

edit: I mean you'll get bored of the RPG's and Contra isn't exactly great storytelling.

Andy787

Banned
Reilly said:
It's between Contra 4, Pokemon Diamond, and DQM: Joker.

The Best Buy in my area is pretty much sold out of everything else (downtown Manhattan).

Looking for a good story game rather than a puzzle game.
I think your choices match your interest perfectly. Any of them will be much more a story game than a puzzle game. I recommend choosing one of them.

Or read a book. Some books have good stories.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'd go for Pokemon, Contra IV is amazing and all, but I think 12 hours of that would fry my brains (maybe I am just not made of enough mans). Pokemon is also great if you plan on playing the meta-game afterwards.

Kuran

Banned
Etrian Odyssey :p

According to my calculations, the average person playing Contra 4 for the first time on a 12 hour train ride with Normal difficulty... will restart the first level roughly 360 times, this is without using any credits.

I didn't take into account how long it would take for the player to discover that he/she has the ability to switch weapons with the L key.

Contra 4 is awesome, but it makes me feel old.. :(

Adumaha said:
I'd go for Pokemon, Contra IV is amazing and all, but I think 12 hours of that would fry my brains (maybe I am just not made of enough mans). Pokemon is also great if you plan on playing the meta-game afterwards.
Don't want to derail the thread but, is T-tar still running shit in D/P? Been a while since I've been playing seriously.

12 hours of Contra 4 will make you mad. But it's the good kind of mad (like the same kind of mad you get from God Hand).

12 hours...

It's times like that you wish they'd released Disgaea DS already.

I'd say Pokemon was a good choice. Also worth popping Elite Beat Agents into your bag.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
viewtiful_dru said:
Don't want to derail the thread but, is T-tar still running shit in D/P? Been a while since I've been playing seriously.

12 hours of Contra 4 will make you mad. But it's the good kind of mad (like the same kind of mad you get from God Hand).

T-tar? Not really. Mostly I see Garchomps, since they're ridiculously powerful, but easily counterable. I mostly play with my friends though.

Reilly

Slavik81 said:
Phoenix Wright.
I'd be all over PW if they had any copies left. I'm telling you. The downtown Manhattan BB has nothing left. I can only go to BB because I have a gift card there that I want to use.

C4, Pokemon, DQM:J, and NSMB are the only good games they have left.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Reilly said:
I'd be all over PW if they had any copies left. I'm telling you. The downtown Manhattan BB has nothing left. I can only go to BB because I have a gift card there that I want to use.

You should get Sprung for $2. Its story is really really funny. But yeah, if they have Advanced Wars that is a time killer but a good time killer.

Slavik81

Reilly said:

I'd say Pokemon Diamond, then. Contra is more of a short-burst sort of game because of it's roots in the arcade. Great game, but I couldn't imagine playing it for more than a couple hours without getting burned out.

I also highly recommend sleeping.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Reilly said:

Heads = Contra 4
Tails = NSMB
Lands on its side = Two copies of Contra 4

This will keep you busy for a month while supplying a wonderful story.

advance-wars-dual-strike-20050614045631330-000.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
contra 4 and nothing else except maybe advance wars, but only with contra 4

eznark

Banned
Kuran said:
Etrian Odyssey :p

According to my calculations, the average person playing Contra 4 for the first time on a 12 hour train ride with Normal difficulty... will restart the first level roughly 360 times, this is without using any credits.

I didn't take into account how long it would take for the player to discover that he/she has the ability to switch weapons with the L key.

Contra 4 is awesome, but it makes me feel old.. :(

I think I restarted it 360 times on my 30 minute rail commute into Boston when I first picked it up.

I haven't played Joker, but if you want a game to eat time, Pokeman is the ticket.

Pokemon is kinda boring for me. Also, a "good story game" it is not.

Phoenix Wright for the story unless you've played it already.

Alpha_eX

Contra won't last you 12 hours.

Go for Phoenix Wright 1, 2 and 3

EDIT: Out of the 3 you said, Pokemon Diamond or DQJ will last longer.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Wander the carriages and find a pretty girl to talk to.

Don't talk to her about DS games or GAF.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I've been playing Warhammer 40K Squad Command on PSP. Assuming the differences are minimal, I'd recommend that.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Fire Emblem(both)
Front Mission First
Advance Wars II
Etrian Odyssey

Buy a PSP and Jeanne d'Arc or Disgaea.

Woo-Fu

Banned
suicideeyes said:
Where in downtown manhattan do you live that's totally inaccessible to all other stores?

Battery Park City, perhaps, if he is afraid of crossing the West Side Highway during rush hour(and who isn't, lol). Gotta go to the pedestrian overpass at either end.

You're aware that there are two other Best Buy's kinda in your area, right (44th and 5th & Colombus Circle, which is a new one)?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
You want EBA.

Your preferences dont matter, buy EBA and you'll be praying for the train to break down so you get another 10 hours.

Top Bottom