• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Monkeys | Unmake History - Fridays on Syfy |OT|

delta25

Banned
From what I can tell it does not follow any of Terry Gilliam' style in terms of aesthetics and designs from the movie so thats an automatic pass for me.

GavinUK86

From what I can tell it does not follow any of Terry Gilliam' style in terms of aesthetics and designs from the movie so thats an automatic pass for me.

Nope. Nothing Terry Gilliam about it. I don't think that's a negative thing though. I like seeing other peoples takes on stuff.

I created an OT here if anyone want's to jump ship.

Syncytia

I'll give it a few more episodes before a final judgement, but the first didn't really hook me. Interesting conceptually, but I don't feel compelled to watch it.

dehm

Neo Member
Great film, definitely one of pitt's best performances. I can only hope the series will live up to the film's message.

Tokubetsu

So far I'm sold. My expectations were on the floor after Helix but this was really solid. Glad to see some Nikita alumn and to hear theres some TSCC staffers bts as well.

Always down for more kirk acevedo as well

GavinUK86

0wK6ZO8.png

Time traveller James Cole (Aaron Stanford) travels from the year 2043 to the present day in order to stop the release of a deadly virus by the enigmatic organisation known as "Army of the Twelve Monkeys".

That virus, in Cole's original timeline, caused the death of 93.6% of the world population.

Cole will be helped by the brilliant virologist Cassandra Railly (Amanda Schull) and a math genius with mental issues, Jennifer Goines (Emily Hampshire).

dpBWdK5.png
gamVTrg.png
E47V1c8.png
RdYJKWW.png

nnXMVzQ.png
EWttgHM.png
VYyn1tn.png

Official site: http://www.syfy.com/12monkeys

Trailer 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZNcVYqnCFw
Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihbMJbqYWbw

Wag

Thanks for the OT.

I watched the pilot today, was impressed, much better than the average SyFy TV series. I'll probably stick with it for a while.

GavinUK86 - thanks for making a proper OT for this.

I merged the two threads so that the discussion from last night is included as well. Hope that isn't too much of a problem. If you need anything else (title changes, etc...) just let me know via PM.

Well that's odd, now my OT is half way through page 2.
Yeah, I thought it would've put your post at the top since I picked yours as the destination thread, but it still put them in chronological order. Oh well, I guess some weird time issues are appropriate for this OT. :p If it bothers you, just let me know and I'll deal with it.

jwk94

So Birkhoff is going to save the world and Brad Pitt is now a woman? ;)

Pilot was ok, but second episode was kinda slow and boring. And how long are they planning on hiding the fact that
Jones is future Cassie?

Why would
She be future Cassie? She was just as shocked by the 12 monkeys message as everyone else was

GavinUK86

GavinUK86 - thanks for making a proper OT for this.

I merged the two threads so that the discussion from last night is included as well. Hope that isn't too much of a problem. If you need anything else (title changes, etc...) just let me know via PM.

Yeah, I thought it would've put your post at the top since I picked yours as the destination thread, but it still put them in chronological order. Oh well, I guess some weird time issues are appropriate for this OT. :p If it bothers you, just let me know and I'll deal with it.

Eh, it's fine. Maybe getting the info stuff in the first post might be better. Up to you. Thanks man.

Tizoc

Wow a TV show about that movie? Interesting to see if
they'll actually manage to stop the virus from spreading

Tokubetsu

Nice work, buddy. Weird that it's accredited to me? That is weird.

I liked the episode quite a bit actually. Two leads have great chemistry. Always liked Aaron Stanford. Curious to see where this goes.

Is this a mini-series or an ongoing?

13 episode season iirc so I'm pretty sure it's ongoing.

Denton

Seen first two episodes. The atmosphere and quirkiness of original film is nowhere to be seen, as expected, but I still liked it a lot. The story has a lot of potential and I like both leads a lot.

GavinUK86

so after seeing episode two i can say i really like where they're going with it.

(spoilers from that episode)
so jones isn't future cassie, that's good, she could be a relative. that's still possible even though i don't think she is.

i really like jennifer goines. she's not as bat shit crazy as brad pitt was but just the right amount of crazy. emily hampshire has pretty good on screen presence. couldn't take my eyes off her during her and cole's scenes.

the pallid man is really creepy and it's interesting to see the twelve monkeys actually being the bad guys in this.

it'll be really interesting to see how cole's timeline works now he's been in 1987 and had a fight with pallid man and gave him that scar at some point in time yet he hasn't done any of it yet.

i think they've been really smart in switching the story up from the film. no one wants a rehash of what most of us have seen. it's definitely in their favour.

apparently this did start out as a non-twelve monkeys time travel story called splinter anyway. you can see other elements retrofitted into this. anyway, great start. i hope they get the viewers.

Killzig

Yikes. This was fucking rancid trash.

Yeah, really don't like either lead and the generic boyfriend they saddled the doctor with really struck all the wrong notes for me. It felt like they lifted that opening scene from I Saw the Devil without an ounce of the talent or tension. Rancid trash might be too much, but this doesn't rise above the usual SyFy channel crap.

jb1234

The second episode is better than the first, which helps. Some great atmosphere and performances.

(I've never seen the movie so I'm not constantly comparing the two.)

mid83

I'm curious enough to keep watching for a few more episodes at least.

Any word on the ratings from Friday night?

RS4-

There's enough to keep me watching. I guess it helps that I haven't seen the movie in over 5 years.

Chris R

I'm not going to say this is great TV but at least it's watchable.

Just hope the series has some kind of concrete plan in place for a two or three season run to completion.

Ricker

Liking it so far...I thought it was just for a joke that they sent him in 2006 instead of 2015 again, but it was nice to see how they actually tied that up with the story later on...so the writing is not so bad.

GavinUK86

Liking it so far...I thought it was just for a joke that they sent him in 2006 instead of 2015 again, but it was nice to see how they actually tied that up with the story later on...so the writing is not so bad.

i thought it was quite apt that they sent him to korea what with all the interview fuss

PepperedHam

I liked how they tied that together too.

Really enjoyable episode yet again. Always happy to have some kinda time travel/timeline stuff to watch even if it isn't the best TV ever made. I hope this does well in the ratings and sticks around for a couple of seasons.

And also, this guy seemingly pops up in every damn thing I watch:
kirk.jpg

GavinUK86

this weeks was good one. really enjoyed seeing cassandra during the time cole left and reappeared at the hotel.

nice to finally see how cole gave the pallid man the scar too. i liked that it was cole who killed henri. good ol' time travel huh.

Gibbo

Love a good time travel series (RIP Journeyman), and this has been decent-good so far. I have never watched the movie so ive went into this with zero expectations.

I didn't realize there was an OT. I like this series. Good cast. I hope it gets a little weirder, but it seems like it's on the right track. Weird how I like a lot of SyFy series, but their movies usually suck.

One nitpick I have with this and many in-the-future shows. There's been an apocalyptic plague/war/zombie/virus/flood/etc. The "bad guys" all smoke cigarettes. People are nigh-cannibalistic, but there's an inexhaustible supply of Marlboros, in perfect condition. And nobody treats them like they're valuable.

Backlogger

The same day #'s haven't been great, but the dvr numbers are supposedly great.

That's because it's Friday night. I would imagine most people in the target demographic are not at home when it's on. I usually watch it same day but later at night

wildfire

Banned
How are they making a TV series about changing history from a movie whose premise is that you can't change history?

Well it seems they might be headed in that direction even though the pilot suggested otherwise.

So far this has been enjoyable. I'm sort of dreading how they'll handle "present day" events because even a roaming mongol horde over millennium ago knew it was better to have smaller groups pay taxes in food. None of the survivors are capable of farming yet?

I really liked how they handled this episode but I'm hoping they do address the idea of the challenges of rebuilding civilization instead of just having this random barbarian horde at their gates.

Love a good time travel series (RIP Journeyman), and this has been decent-good so far. I have never watched the movie so ive went into this with zero expectations.

You love a good time travel series, but you haven't checked out one of the best time travel movies of all time? You really need to correct that.

I am really enjoying this show. I watch very very little tv these days and this is one of the few that I have dvr'd to watch when the kiddo and wife are asleep. I miss the sci-fi serial dramas and perhaps on Syfy, this one won't be canceled as if were on the big 4.

I do like that it's doing its own thing compared to the movie. Really nice that they are expanding the outside world in the show present.

If I were Cole and knew I would eventually travel to 1987, I would probably be a bit cavalier on things, since I obviously I would survive anything to make that 1987 trip.

The reason I loved the original 12 Monkeys was because the time travel aspects made sense. In this one they establish that if they change the past enough the post-apocalyptic future will cease to exist and with it Cole will also pop out of existence. But that would mean Cole never went back in time to change anything, right?

That would either mean 2014 changes too (and the past to accommodate everything ahead of it) or... ah, to hell with it. I can't be bothered thinking about that stuff.

Top Bottom