• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 year-old girl raped by 26 men, court rules that she 'consented'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fury rages over rape case in Turkey

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 ANKARA - Hürriyet Daily News

Government ministers and deputies from opposition parties all joined an outcry regarding a court decision that lowers the sentence for 26 suspects who were tried for allegedly raping a 13 year old girl. Family and Social Policies Minister Fatma Şahin called the ruling ‘unacceptable and worrying,’ in a written statement.

Government ministers and opposition members have joined an outcry over a verdict by the Supreme Court of Appeals that ruled the 13-year-old victim in an alleged rape case had consented to sex with 26 suspects.

Family and Social Policies Minister Fatma Şahin called the ruling “unacceptable and worrying,” in a written statement issued Tuesday after the Supreme Court of Appeals recently upheld the ruling of a local court in the southeastern province of Mardin to sentence the suspects to the minimum penalty.

“A child’s consent is not looked after [when investigating a criminal] act committed against a minor who is categorized as being incapable of understanding the meaning and consequences of the deed [in question],” Şahin said.

The victim, identified only by her initials N.Ç., met the female suspects T. and E., also identified only by their initials, in 2002, after which time the two women facilitated the victim’s having intercourse with 26 individuals in exchange for money.

“A judiciary that is incapable of upholding the rights of a 13-year-old child entertains no capacity whatsoever to uphold the Constitution,” wrote Education Minister Ömer Çelik on Twitter on Tuesday.

The 26 suspects charged with having intercourse with the victim included soldiers, civil servants, shopkeepers and teachers.

Speaking during a visit to Azerbaijan yesterday, Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin said the controversy arose from the fact that the case pertained to offenses committed in 2002, before a penal code reform introduced tougher provisions in 2005. “Similar rulings will be out of the question from now on,” he said.

The Supreme Court of Appeals issued a statement, saying that it would withhold comment on the case because it “would harm the principles of a fair trial as judicial processes have not yet been completed in all respects.”

Minister Şahin said amendments in a draft bill currently in the making would eliminate any remaining loopholes that allow for mitigated sentences for child abusers.

The head of Parliament’s Gender Equality Commission, Binnaz Toprak, said “public sentiment must raise its voice” against the ruling. Her fellow Republican People’s Party (CHP) lawmaker Aylin Nazlıaka said N.Ç., who is now 20, had earned a high school degree through home study, had a part-time job and aspired to earn a degree in law or communications.

Sebahat Tuncel of the Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) joined the condemnations, labeling the ruling as a “crime against humanity.”

In a related development, Şahin said a 30-article draft bill that would also introduce tougher measures to prevent violence against women would be submitted to the Cabinet this week. “We will be using technology. If an [abusive] husband returns home despite court restrictions and poses a risk to a woman’s life, then a signal system will be activated. We’ve put technical pursuit into the bill,” she said at a meeting of Parliament’s Planning and Budget Commission.
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=fury-rages-over-rape-case-2011-11-02

faridmon

Turkey? Isn't those things haram there. Forget about raping (which is bloody horrible, pricks) but even having sex with that sort of Age?

Bloody hell, I hope they all die in fire.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
The victim, identified only by her initials N.Ç., met the female suspects T. and E., also identified only by their initials, in 2002, after which time the two women facilitated the victim’s having intercourse with 26 individuals in exchange for money.

She did it for money, so I can sort of see where they're coming from with the verdict, but holy hell, it's still illegal as hell.

Azih

Seems like they're saying the law was fucked in 2002 and their Supreme Court of Appeals stuck to the letter of that law which has since been changed.

Ducarmel

Its unfortunate they did not have the proper laws to get these guys back when they were charged. There must be some charges they can just tack on to fuck these guys over.

YNkfR.png

Barrett2

So in Turkey a 13 year old girl could consent to participating in (i) invalid contracts (ii) prostitution (iii) statutory rape?

Stay classy, Turkey.

This sentence is laughably vague. Did the two women facilitate pimping the girl out in exchange for the two women to be paid, or did they pimp the girl out in exchange for the girl to be paid? This wouldn't be a meaningful legal distinction in the US at least, but damn, learn how to write, people..

artist

Banned
Soldiers? Yup ..

The Crimson Blur said:
How the hell did this even happen? How do 26 men get together to rape one 12 year-old?

Wtf?
Read it completely. It seems like the victim was exploited for money .. Really pathetic, I dont even want to know what other kinds of exploitation goes around in 3rd world countries.

Ducarmel

lawblob said:
So in Turkey a 13 year old girl could consent to participating in (i) invalid contracts (ii) prostitution (iii) statutory rape?

Stay classy, Turkey.
They did not have any laws protecting children from this when the rape happened. When they finally fixed it, they tried to use these new laws on the rapist but because the crime was committed before they made the new laws these rapist won the appeal

Barrett2

Ducarmel said:
They did not have any laws protecting children from this., when the rape happened. When they finally fixed it, they tried to use these new laws on the rapist but because the crime was committed before they made the new laws these rapist won the appeal

The notion that any organized government and nation with electricity and running water would go until 2005 before drafting statutory rape and child prostitution laws is beyond insane.
KuGsj.gif

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
GAF it's time to stop posting these. And not because you guys aren't entertained (morbid curiosity?) by this sickness, but because it's bad for business.

I mean, if the keywords in thread titles are enough to get evilore to ban drug discussion and hot women threads, well...I can imagine GoogleAds will have an issue with these as well. Just a thought.

FlyingTeacup said:
haha? what happened?
It was this thread and probably this post:

Sennorin said:
I think the problem with CP is (and I´m only assuming that, since I´m obviously not going to check if true) that it´s all violent rape. So any pedophile who downloads CP is committing a crime, not only because of the underage-thing, but because of supporting the act of rape (or, sigh, "rape-rape"). Which separates them from those pedophiles that would ideally have a peaceful, loving relationship with a kid, not one based upon violence.

Gaborn

lawblob said:
The notion that any organized government and nation with electricity and running water would go until 2005 before drafting statutory rape and child prostitution laws is beyond insane.

agreed completely.

Gaborn

AbsoluteZero said:
Consensual or not, having sex with a 12-year old is fairly messed up, I don't care what society you live in.

I'm not sure that a 12 year old can consent. Certainly LEGALLY they cannot in Turkey or the US.

bestami

I heard on yesterdays news that goverment was changing some stuff about some law so that people were involved would get proper punishment for their crimes.

This was pretty big since when this case was first revealed almost a year ago. And people are still very upset about this. I would be suprised if these people wouldn't get what they deserve.

Kinyou

Bisnic said:
What's with GAF and young girls being abused by older men lately?
Hey, earlier, we had a ton of "young boys getting abused by older girls" threads, gotta keep the balance.

irfan said:
Read it completely. It seems like the victim was exploited for money .. Really pathetic, I dont even want to know what other kinds of exploitation goes around in 3rd world countries.

Ah, I see now. I had initially thought the 26 men raped her all at once. It appears two women, named "T" and "E" in the article, sold the girl to various men as a prostitute.

I wonder what charges the two women will get, because I think they are the most immoral of all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom