• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 year-old girl raped by 26 men, court rules that she 'consented'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Disgusting.

That said I HATE when it's called rape due to age.

Having sex with a 12 year old who said yes is horribly disgusting.

Physically forcing a 12 year old to have sex with you is disgusting on the level that I'd be fine with torture followed by execution.

PantherLotus said:
GAF it's time to stop posting these. And not because you guys aren't entertained (morbid curiosity?) by this sickness, but because it's bad for business.

I mean, if the keywords in thread titles are enough to get evilore to ban drug discussion and hot women threads, well...I can imagine GoogleAds will have an issue with these as well. Just a thought.
The number of "negative" stories related to Islam, Muslims or Muslim countries can be pinned down to usually a handful of posters.

Barrett2

Warrior_Keoni said:
How is this even possible? There's no way that girl gave consent. Threats, blackmail, etc all come to mind...

Not to mention that there is also a huge difference between invalidating a minor's consent to something they could otherwise consent to as an adult, i.e.: signing a cell phone contract, versus consenting to a contract that is still invalid as an adult, i.e.: signing a contract to purchase cocaine. Even if she actually consented, free of duress, it shouldn't matter one bit, because she is consenting to illegal activity.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Where is Armageddon? Why isn't it here yet? These people need to be sent straight to hell!

Nymeria88

That is crazy. Even if the girl said she was ok with it for money, 12 years old is not old enough to make that sort of decision. The men should be punished, and she should go to counseling.

Ducarmel

speculawyer said:
Well, I don't know if they still want in but that kind of ruling is not going to help them get into the EU.
Not that I care about these guys, but pertaining to law in general you would be cool if the govt made up laws to to charge you with for things you did before the law was enacted? I assume that's why they won the appeal the law should not go down that road and charge people with things committed before they were enacted.

Barrett2

Sidenote, IIRC, in the US in this kind of situation of a statutory rape charge, the girls' consent is only relevant in determining severity of the charge, i.e.: 1st, 2nd, 3rd degree rape, if she is above a certain age. I believe it's 15 or older in most states. Anything younger than that and it legally doesn't matter in the US if she actually consented, free of duress, or not.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Title says 12, sub-title says 13, and whole article says 13. A few people not reading the OP, it seems.
I found another article saying she was 12, so I was confused for a moment, but it was too late for me to change the title.

LuchaShaq

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
12 year olds cannot consent, so we still call it rape. soz.

Of course they can't consent but if you can't see that there is a monumental difference between the two acts I don't know what to tell you.

Despera

Banned
toxicgonzo said:
Thought this was going to be a news article from Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia doesn't tolerate such crimes. The assholes' heads would be rolling by the time you started reading this article.

Although, marrying a female that's under 9 years of age, against her will, is not considered a crime in Saudi Arabia. Intercourse is allowed regardless of age as long as this child-wife has hit puberty.

Pollux

Mechanical Snowman said:
Title says 12, sub-title says 13, and whole article says 13. A few people not reading the OP, it seems.
And that extra year makes the situation so much better?

bengraven

I...

gTdAt.jpg

Good idea.

Fusebox said:
This changes nothing. Fucking Turkey.
zmoney said:
It was more a general point about how people jump into a thread to be angry at something, without reading the OP. Sorry if I was vague. And nope, you're right, a year's difference at that age wouldn't have made the situation any better.

zmoney said:

Certainly not in this case (AoC is 18 in Turkey last I checked), but the age of consent in some countries is 13...

Anyway, this case is pretty disgusting. Regardless of if she consented, the fact remains that she was essentially pimped out by these two women, which is a crime...

LuchaShaq said:
Disgusting.

That said I HATE when it's called rape due to age.

Having sex with a 12 year old who said yes is horribly disgusting.

Physically forcing a 12 year old to have sex with you is disgusting on the level that I'd be fine with torture followed by execution.
She had sex with 26 guys, for money? I agree, rape is too strong of a word. We add "statutory" at the beginning of it when referring to a consenting child for a reason. Both are horrible, but one is forcing and the other one is...well I'll put it this way, she probably ended up teaching a few of these grown men a thing or two.

Speaking during a visit to Azerbaijan yesterday, Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin said the controversy arose from the fact that the case pertained to offenses committed in 2002, before a penal code reform introduced tougher provisions in 2005. “Similar rulings will be out of the question from now on,” he said.

Yeah, I don't think you can retroactively punish people if there wasn't a law in place when they did it. It sucks but that's how law works.

Kettch

Disgusting verdict by the court. It's good that they're changing the laws at least though, so good for Turkey in general. However barbaric the catalyst, it's still nice to see a country move forward in human rights.

Another thing that stood out to me was the apparent censoring of the suspects names. Wish we had that here, so that people aren't tried by the public.

Remember when someone asked why Turkey wasn't allowed in the European Union in a recent thread? Well, It's because of stuff like this.

Among other things.

Aizu_Itsuko said:
Remember when someone asked why Turkey wasn't allowed in the European Union in a recent thread? Well, It's because of stuff like this.

Among other things.

So a judge following the law is the one of the reasons why they aren't into the EU.

Ridiculous.

It's worth noting that if this had happened in Spain, no-one would have been charged or even arrested as the sex would have been consensual.

Orayn

Speedymanic said:
So a judge following the law is the one of the reasons why they aren't into the EU.

Ridiculous.

It's worth noting that if this had happened in Spain, no-one would have been charged or even arrested as the sex would have been consensual.
Since when is child prostitution legal in Spain? This is news to me.

Orayn said:
Since when is child prostitution legal in Spain? This is news to me.

The fact remains that the sex would have been consensual, the prostitution would be charged (if they were able to prove it), but not the actual act of sex, which is what seems to be angering so many people.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Aizu_Itsuko said:

Among other things.

But nobody in Turkey is justifying this shit. Do people actually read the article? Everybody here is pissed that this could happen this way. I know some of you guys are itching to poop on Turkey first chance you get, but this isn't really one of those cases. It's still a really fucked up situation and I hope they will get what they deserve!

And now isn't really the time to bring up the EU card. After the Greece debacle... Yeah I leave it at that.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
icarus-daedelus said:
Difference between violent and nonviolent sex with a child? Yes. Both rape? Yes.

Don't know why you're getting hung up on that second part.

Actually you're the one getting hung up on the semantic definition of "rape" when you understand and actually seem to agree with the other poster's point in the first place. He obviously understands that it's called rape and pointing that out accomplishes nothing. His point was that it shouldn't be called that because he feels there's a wide difference between the two things.

Title made me think a 12 year old was gang-raped by 26 men at once...

...then I read it was a 13 year old girl prostituting herself 26 times, with the help (?) of two other girls.

Still bad of course, but on a completely different level that makes me not rage as much about the lower sentences. *shrugs*

I don't even have a reaction initially anymore.
I've seen enough threads to know to wait a few pages for things to clear up
Like people thinking she was gang raped by 26 dudes at once turns into statutory rape via prostitution over a period of time

Still sucks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom