• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$125 (AUD) for Ratchet & Clank?? WTF. ($97 USD)

Zog

Banned
until they give us a reason to like on PC
What reason have they given on PC?

But I'll gladly pay $75 on day 1 (to own forever) certain must play AAA PS5 games, like GT7 and GoW.
...and that's why they decided to up the price this gen. Also, 'own forever' isn't a thing when there are so many patches. At this point Day 1 patches are the norm, soon physical games may not even be playable without them. They would act like an unlock key.

anyone else find it annoying that insomniac has been spamming tweets telling us to pre-order without even showing new gameplay?
Gamers have conditioned developers to do this because gamers trip over each other to pre-order even at the mere mention of a game title.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

...and that's why they decided to up the price this gen. Also, 'own forever' isn't a thing when there are so many patches. At this point Day 1 patches are the norm, soon physical games may not even be playable without them. They would act like an unlock key.
Haven't bought a physical game since PS3. And I like patches, make the game better over time.

If the game is worth it, I'll pay $75 for 25, 50, even 100+ hours of entertainment. (I replay games over time too.)

I pay like $4 for a fucking cappuccino lol.

And if not, I just wait for a sale. Most games are 25-50% within 6-12 months.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
It's a tone-deaf move buy Jim Ryan, he seems to only have his eyes on profits....

I remember one of the slides from his presentation a few months back highlighted cutting costs and expenses, then this increase to 80 euro in most of the world and 70 dollars in USA. It looks very bad when you stand it against the buzz around Gamepass and it's purported value proposition.

The truth is that Jim is the wrong person to lead PlayStation, communication, events, announcements and strategy has all been very poor since he took over. The brand is so strong, it is just charging on despite his incompetence but he is doing it no favors.

Game prices should be varied.... with 70 being the absolute highest in all territories (70 local currency). Most games should be 55-60.
With remakes and smaller or niche games being 40-50.

Launching Returnal at 80 euro for instance is lining the game up for commercial failure, it's unfair to Housemarque and to customers who want to try to support a new IP.

Seems to be all about pushing prices up and penny-pinching with Ryan.... not a fan at all of his moves so far.

another issue is the $399 ps5de to counter SS. im sure that $399 is the heaviest loss leader amongst the 4 nextgen sku

jim seems conflicted with how to deal with SS. im not sure a $399 sku with raised game prices is my preferred outcome

Last edited:
PS5 Games are already starting to drop,Godfall is already $40 new at bestbuy but still $69.99 on PSN..

I was almost 100% digital last gen and this gen all physical.. Just wait 3-4 months after launch and you can pick up new games well below launch cost or used games even cheaper.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
another issue is the $399 ps5de to counter SS. im sure that $399 is the heaviest loss leader amongst the 4 nextgen sku

jim seems conflicted with how to deal with SS. im not sure a $399 sku with raised game prices is my preferred outcome
Definitely not, games must sell on their merit but at the same time, expecting games to sell no matter what price they are is very foolish.

This higher launch price will train people to wait an buy all their games later and others just won't buy at all cause all the hype will be gone.... all the marketing is focused around launch.

He doesn't seem to have a clue.

I am seeing a load of PSNow ads on Youtube and it seems like he really wants to chase that, mostly because Xbox are doing their gamepass thing. But he has no real vision, no feeling for the industry, no enthusiasm it seems...
Just a bog standard salesman, trying to turn a buck.

longdi

Banned
Definitely not, games must sell on their merit but at the same time, expecting games to sell no matter what price they are is very foolish.

This higher launch price will train people to wait an buy all their games later and others just won't buy at all cause all the hype will be gone.... all the marketing is focused around launch.

He doesn't seem to have a clue.

I am seeing a load of PSNow ads on Youtube and it seems like he really wants to chase that, mostly because Xbox are doing their gamepass thing. But he has no real vision, no feeling for the industry, no enthusiasm it seems...
Just a bog standard salesman, trying to turn a buck.

i just find him old school, a dinosaur who has been too comfortable with SCEE uncontested lead in EU

Bryank75

Banned
i just find him old school, a dinosaur who has been too comfortable with SCEE uncontested lead in EU
Jack Tretton was probably the best, House was good too and Kaz of course.

Shu would be great but I think he isn't up for that stress.

Justin9mm

Australian. The new rep is $125 for PS5 games but if you buy physical disc they sell for $110 at stores
Yep, that's why I don't buy 'new release' digital games.

JB has it for $109 at the moment but I have a good feeling that will drop before release day to $99.. If we are lucky even $89!

Really? Games are significantly cheaper on PC store fronts. Even first day of release you can always find it discounted somewhere. There’s no comparison.
Do you have an example of this? I know that physical copies of PS4 games were always cheaper than the digital version in Australia.

TexMex

Do you have an example of this? I know that physical copies of PS4 games were always cheaper than the digital version in Australia.

what? That’s exactly what I said, physical is regularly the same price or better than digital on consoles, and people should avoid digital until that is reversed.

dDoc

It is a $10 bump. I'm surprised the $60 price point has lasted as long as it has, frankly. 15 years is a long time for prices to stay exactly the same.

And the video game industry still grew in leaps and bounds. Add to that the paid addons, dlc and MTX and they're making handsome profits.

But corps will be corps and always drive for more profits. Can't blame consumers if they opt for sales/better deals then.

Topher

Gold Member
And the video game industry still grew in leaps and bounds. Add to that the paid addons, dlc and MTX and they're making handsome profits.

But corps will be corps and always drive for more profits. Can't blame consumers if they opt for sales/better deals then.

I think a big part of the problem is the slim margins retailers are getting. Amazon used to give a 20% discount on preorders, but no longer. Best Buy shuttered their game discount program entirely. I was reading that this is especially true in Australia where taxes, regulations, etc. are cutting into those margins even more. And as much as everyone loves physical game media and all the benefits it brings, as long as publishers have money tied up in physical inventory they are going to be slow to discount digital.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

And they will always claim in their PR to gamers that dev costs are so high, they are broke. But then when quarterly earnings come out, they brag about record profit and profit margins from giant digital sales and less and less physical packaged games at shelf.

dDoc

And they will always claim in their PR to gamers that dev costs are so high, they are broke. But then when quarterly earnings come out, they brag about record profit and profit margins from giant digital sales and less and less physical packaged games at shelf.

Game industry is booming. That's why people on forums defending sleazy corps (who don't give a single eff about them and will try and vacuum every last penny from their pockets) always make me laugh.

Zog

Banned
as long as publishers have money tied up in physical inventory they are going to be slow to discount digital.
That explains the PSN sales....oh wait, no it doesn't. I haven't bought anything on PSN for full price is longer than I can remember.

Top Bottom