• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13-0: Should USA have shown more spostmanship towards Thailand? (Womens World cup)

i get its a group stage and you want goals for the differential tie breaking, but imo they really shoulda eased off the attack button in the final 1/4 of the match. You dont need to score a 13th goal in the 88th minute....whats worse is how enthusiastically they celebreated after each goal even though it was goal 10, 11, 12, etc.... if you score at that point just accept it and reset the kickoff.

What are your thoughts

Atrus

Gold Member
Any goal is a goal. There are similar drubbings in the men’s game, notably with the much less skilled middle-east/Asian nations. (Germany vs Saudi Arabia)

It’ll get better with time. The gap between the first world women and others is probably larger in women’s soccer but it should be less of a problem with time.

-hal-

I'm pretty sure if I were playing against a team like that, I wouldn't want them clowning around and not playing hard because my team was too bad to stop them.

I'm a very competitive person and if I'm getting my ass kicked in something I'd rather have a jeering, taunting opponent than someone who wants to play nice, shake my hand and tell me what a great game I played (when I didn't).

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If I'm taking competition seriously and getting my ass kicked, I want them to go ahead and keep kicking my ass so I can observe how they do it.

kiiltz

Yes. Germany stopped celebrating after what, the 4th or 5th goal against Brazil?

Football celebrations are exaggerative enough as it is and who the fuck enjoys slaughtering the other team anyhow. It's the close games that people fondly remember, not the one sided embarrassments.

Soccer isn't the type of game where a team can usually come back from being down 3-4 scores, especially in the final minutes. Taking the pedal off the gas and showing some mercy can be understandable.

Now, if it's the NFL or NBA where you can be down multiple scores and suddenly go on a streak and take it back, it's different. But Soccer? Nah, you should play nice once the point gap is beyond winnable for the opposing team.

Mohonky

Didn't see the game unfortunately, but no, in the event of a tie situation somewhere you go by Goal Difference, so you want as many as you can get. The celebrating after X amount is probably a bit much but they did nothing wrong

Nothing wrong. If anything deliberately letting go of obvious chances or anything of that sort would be a bigger embarrassment. Play hard until the game ends, whether you're up 20 or down 20, and take the next game as it comes.

BunzLee

Wouldn't it have been a bigger disrespect to go easy on them after being much stronger so obviously? I wouldn't have wanted any mercy or pity from my opponent, that would have been a much bigger slap in the face IMHO.

llien

It's a competitive sport, it would feel insulting to the viewer, if they'd "spare" the opponent.

PS
And, wow, someone is watching it.

farmerboy

No. Its the World Cup. You dont flirt with form, if you can score you bloody better well score.

Overzealous and disrepectful celebrations? Thats a different story.

Dontero

Banned
Tell that to guys who scored 5 goals to 0 and in the end lost 5-6.
It is football. There are 2 nets and one ball and absolutely anything can happen.

Secondly if oposing team would give me easy time i would be pissed because as player i would spend weeks preparing my best and in the end enemy players wouldn't give me right to play at my best.

Last edited:

Makariel

I didn't even know there was a world cup on.

Just watched the highlights on the BBC sports channel. The Thai defense looked terrible (absolutely no spatial awareness) and my uncle in his wheelchair would have made a better goalkeeper than they had. In the highlights didn't show any of that "excessive" and "disgusting" (according to the Daily Mail :messenger_tears_of_joy: ) celebrations, so can't comment on that.

Saruhashi

Banned
i get its a group stage and you want goals for the differential tie breaking, but imo they really shoulda eased off the attack button in the final 1/4 of the match. You dont need to score a 13th goal in the 88th minute....whats worse is how enthusiastically they celebreated after each goal even though it was goal 10, 11, 12, etc.... if you score at that point just accept it and reset the kickoff.

What are your thoughts

Depends. If they are fully celebrating goals 10, 11, 12 etc then I would say it's bad form.

You can ease off the gas a bit sure but it's not like you can deliberately miss clear goal scoring opportunities.

I would say if you are still giving 100% and trying to hammer the other team and it's not some big rivalry then that's not in the spirit of fair play.
If you are fully celebrating goals at 10-0 etc then that's shitty behavior.

I'd rather see my team slow the pace down and maybe try a few new ideas and if we get more goals then great.
I wouldn't want them to just stop trying or to miss obvious chances out of kindness.

Just drop it down a few gears and see out the match in a relaxed manner.

I don't know, to me it's kind of disrespectful to not give your best effort in a true competition - I find it to be condescending. Sure it sucks to be on the receiving end of a beat-down, but it would be worse to feel coddled by your superior opponent.

But I certainly wouldn't celebrate past a certain point. What is there to celebrate? You've already established dominance. It's just business at that point. It's like an adult celebrating defeating a child. It looks silly.

NickFire

This is competition at the highest level. You play hard until the game ends. If the score is embarrassing that is the loser's fault, not the winner's.

This is competition at the highest level. You play hard until the game ends. If the score is embarrassing that is the loser's fault, not the winner's.

Yeah, but this kinda feels equivalent to in college football, Bama beating University of the Incarnate Word 84-0 and then group celebrating in the end zone after scoring again with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

typically if youre decimating an opposing team, you play your subs, try different strategies/formations, and lift your foot off the pedal maybe 10%.

excessive scoring and celebrating just delays ending the game, which everyone just wants to be over.

you can stay competitive and run the the score up while still doing it professionally and tastefully.

Last edited:

NickFire

Yeah, but this kinda feels equivalent to in college football, Bama beating University of the Incarnate Word 84-0 and then group celebrating in the end zone after scoring again with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.
Not to me. I'm pretty sure points have a relationship to tie breaking, and the competition isn't over. So every minute and point matters.

Not to me. I'm pretty sure points have a relationship to tie breaking, and the competition isn't over. So every minute and point matters.

right, this is the sole counter argument, which to me is just.

I think I really only have a problem with their celebrations and scoring so close to the end around goal 11/12..

i mean they still need to ensure enough goals that hopefully sweden cant touch them... but if US could score 10... who knows maybe sweden can score 11. so no one really knows the sweet spot or if you even should stop the scoring... i mainly think that celebrating after maybe goal 5 is just crass

NickFire

right, this is the sole counter argument, which to me is just.

I think I really only have a problem with their celebrations and scoring so close to the end around goal 11/12..

i mean they still need to ensure enough goals that hopefully sweden cant touch them... but if US could score 10... who knows maybe sweden can score 11. so no one really knows the sweet spot or if you even should stop the scoring... i mainly think that celebrating after maybe goal 5 is just crass
I understand your point about celebrating late into the game. But I still give them a pass because I can't fathom the adrenaline and emotion running through them when they score in such an elite and high level competition. I'd definitely quietly encourage them to tamper them down if I was the coach, but would still publicly support them regardless and would never hold it against them.

lock2k

Banned
Are you serious OP? It's a competitive sport..show no mercy.
1000x1000.jpg

manfestival

Americans on the world stage have a reputation to uphold. This is fine and non news. MOVE ALONG FOLKS, NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Top Bottom