• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13-0: Should USA have shown more spostmanship towards Thailand? (Womens World cup)

TacosNSalsa

Ease off the attack? Certainly not. The celebrating though? That one is a bit more complicated for me . It gets to the point where it should be apparent that your team is out classing them by a great degree and it's like what exactly are you celebrating ? You're beating a bunch of scrubs woo wee whoppty doo!! lol..I say just do the Michael Jordan shrug and keep it moving

LBc64fl.gif

Last edited:

Pejo

I hate Brady and the Patriots, but I fucking loved the season that they were running up the score on chumps in the league*. I don't understand the idea of pissing around in the last half of a game so you don't hurt people's feelings. These are paid athletes, not a minor league K-12 team of children. They get paid to be in shape and play a game for entertainment. High scores are entertaining.

Hell, in american football, they even have a nickname for stalling the last portion of the game so as not to run up the score, it's called "garbage time". That should tell you something.

*To be fair, I also had both Brady and Randy Moss in that same year in fantasy football

Americans athletes are only seen as such when they win, otherwise they're lynched for not doing the Star-Spangled Banner proud lol.

John Day

So that’s how the world of competitive aports is now?

This doesn’t mean anything, don’t make it be something that isn’t.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Not sure where else to ask this, but is there anywhere where we can watch the games after they have aired on TV?

TrainedRage

Banned
Why keep the starters in though? That's dumb as hell.
Injuries or catching a card isn't worth going from 7-0 to 13-0

Clearly they have no sportsWOMANship

DiscoJer

Just a quick look at their Wikipedia page shows that they once beat Laos 14-1 and were once beaten by North Korea 0-15

So...this doesn't seem like a big deal either way.

manner

Neo Member
They'd have been considered unprofessional if they had eased off. It's elite, competitive sport, so what the WNT did was not off the mark. :)

CDiggity

Several players scored their first goals in that match, and that milestone should be celebrated, but otherwise this was a team who were already a 5 goal favorite going into the match and had a moneyline of -5000, meaning you would have to bet $5000 on a US win in order to make $100.

As far as I know the only real story going into this match was that if it wasn't a blowout, then it would be a disappointment for USA. From what I can tell, a lot of the goals came from Thailand poorly marking US players on defense so it's not like there was something to overcome.

People can do what they wan't as long as they don't intentional disrespect others, but I certainly wouldn't have acted that way were I in their shoes as there was no real reason to.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
No. They're playing in the world cup, not vs their older siblings.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

I went in expecting a chuckle...I nearly died of laughter this was beyond hilarious, some of those bloopers are some other shit.
Thats for putting me in a good mood.

On Topic
If they qualified for the World Cup they should know the level of competition to expect....NO MERCY!
Maybe they need fewer teams in the World Cup so this sort of thing doesnt happen...let only the nations that can hold their own play....double digit goals in football doesnt make sense.

Alx

Playing at your highest level even when you don't need to is the true sportsmanship. It shows respect of your opponent, charity/pity doesn't because it is insulting the other team.
The losing team can always give up if they don't want to feel humiliated. Or they can show sportsmanship too and keep fighting even if the match is already lost.

'Going easy on the other team' is for when your school goes up against a school for the handicapped. When two nations send their best athletes onto the world stage it's take no prisoners.

highrider

Banned
I’m not a soccer guy but I assume it’s like any other sport where there is a point where it’s out of reach and one team is clearly dominating. I think the sportsmanlike thing to do is put in the second string and let them have a go. If they are still beating them badly with the second string that’s just the breaks. Sometimes your team isn’t good enough.

Top Bottom