• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (ATLUS | VanilaWare) TGS 2017 Trailer

Huh, didn't expect a text-heavy adventure game. Intrigued to see Vanillaware's take on that. That little snippet of gameplay looked a bit odd though

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
2kXkJAa.png
F5GibJa.png
south-park-s05e11c09-yns90.jpg

Desi

I hope that one scene with all the lasers was not how the battle portion of the gameplay is handled. If so, I'm out.

muteki

Looks amazing, art is great.

Could be or have some stategy elements? I wasn't really expecting a mech action game to begin with.

Of course! That's is exactly what I'm getting at. Like, the male gaze is not the main problem here.

Certainly we all here would prefer them to just be clothed, but the fact remains that our view of the male character looks up at them, framing them as modest and almost heroic, whereas our view of the female character looks down on her, accentuates the bent over position, and has her looking back at the camera making the same basic position into a much more submissive pose. That's the male gaze. Honestly, on some level it might be better to just show her bare breasts if she could look as capable and dignified as the male character! haha

But yes, clothes would help.

Looks great. The whole naked piloting thing I feel is fine, it really is not sexual in the slightest. It does seem unnecessary unless there is plot reasons why (I expect that reason to be quite dumb). I will not be shocked if it is censored for the west.

Kanann

Certainly we all here would prefer them to just be clothed, but the fact remains that our view of the male character looks up at them, framing them as modest and almost heroic, whereas our view of the female character looks down on her, accentuates the bent over position, and has her looking back at the camera making the same basic position into a much more submissive pose. That's the male gaze. Honestly, on some level it might be better to just show her bare breasts if she could look as capable and dignified as the male character! haha

But yes, clothes would help.

Nah, they just choose that angle to show her curve and that B, sexy as hell.
Male character was a mistreat here, no ass, no abs.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It is from Vanillaware, who love complex systems and have built them into all their games. Why are you immediately assuming, with a mere second of footage, that suddenly they'd have thrown all that away?

I obviously expect some kind of mecha combat and gameplay, but i'm worried because in the case of Dragon's Crown we got this trailer at it announcement 2 years before the release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efFfQme3MYY
http://gematsu.com/2011/06/dragons-crown-announced-for-ps3-vita

you can already see all the gameplay there.

In the case of 13 sentinels we got this 2 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_RfdxpVOU
http://gematsu.com/2015/09/vanillaware-announces-13-sentinels-aegis-rim-ps4-ps-vita

and now we got the tgs 2017 trailer one year before the release and we still haven't seen the gameplay, at least not the one we expect, we are making assumptions but we don't even know the genre, it could even be a sort of VN.

Ultimadrago

Lots of walking. Some bare-naked shots.

I'll hear you out, Vanillaware. I'm really hoping the top-down city shot isn't the whole of the combat though.

Quixzlizx

I'm not going to get too hype until the game is closer to an actual release date

Vanillaware has been on a roll lately, though.

Zukkoyaki

Seems like a visual novel with some kind of strategy game component. We could really use a nice gameplay trailer or at least a solid written breakdown of what this game really is.

kewlmyc

Yeah, I got that vibe too, though this won't be nearly as depressing. Also, why is everyone piloting these mechs naked?

"Why is this game overly sexualized for seemingly no reason?"

The answer is always "because Vanillaware." They make good games at least.

duckroll

and now we got the tgs 2017 trailer one year before the release and we still haven't seen the gameplay, at least not the one we expect, we are making assumptions but we don't even know the genre, it could even be a sort of VN.

We do now: http://13sar.jp/

It says "Dramatic Adventure" so it's definitely a 2D sidescrolling story adventure game rather than an action or RPG game. Which means we have been seeing actual representative gameplay since the first trailer - we play different characters, walk around, and talk to people and trigger events.

It says "Dramatic Adventure" so it's definitely a 2D sidescrolling story adventure game rather than an action or RPG game. Which means we have been seeing actual representative gameplay since the first trailer - we play different characters, walk around, and talk to people and trigger events.

So I was right when during Sony's E3 press conference
I said one of the characters abilities was walking
(☝︎ ՞ਊ ՞)☝︎

I love Kamitani and his art. I love naked men and women. I love the look of this game. I love everything about this.

Cannot wait to try it out.

This looks fucking cool and I look forward to whatever VW puts out. I am quite disappointed that an HD definitive version of Muramasa was never announced since that was my favorite game from them while Odin Sphere was released and they just announced Dragons Crown. Seems like they skipped over Muramasa for some strange reason as it was highly regarded. Would double dip in a heart beat to play it on the PS4.

Dascu

This is sounding a lot less interesting, if it indeed has only minimal (or no) gameplay other than walking and talking.

Leynos

Naked children, and a visual novel? Well, I guess that this one won't be added to the backlog.

Whompa02

So what's the actual gameplay?

Running from left to right and then bouncing into some sort of isometric RPG for combat? What is this?

Art looks great but the trailer does nothing for me for the actual game part...partially because I'm just confused at what you're actually doing.

Looks gorgeous as expected and dripping with atmosphere. Between this and Dragons Crown pro it's been a damned good TGS for me so far!

ZoronMaro

Damn this art and atmophere are all really good, even by Vanillaware standards, and most of the character designs seem to be moderately distinct and cool. I'm actually super excited that it's not an action RPG with overly complex systems, I loved their story telling with in Odin Sphere with mutiple protagonists and I hope this is an extension on that. And maybe we'll get a more refined GrimGrimoire for our small slices of gameplay? That'd be ace.

Also I'm assuming all the people upset about naked mech piloting have never played/looked at any Vanillaware game before. Semi-realistic setting means they can't get away with outlandish
even though their cool
designs, but Kamitani is still going to Kamitani

Dice//

Banned

Re: Male Gaze= More the problem is this being a cheap excuse to get a bunch of naked characters for arbitrary fiction reasons instead of some sort of EVA-plug-suit (which allowed a lot more fun and creativity with a real outfit that complimented character designs).

Anyways, gorgeous trailer otherwise with a really intriguing take on the mechs-meets-highschool idea.

Top Bottom