• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim |OT| It feels chilly inside the cockpit!

reinking

Gold Member
I played to about 25-30% and felt I got a bit off track when I first started. I moved that save to the cloud and started over. I can't believe I missed a few things early on )story-wise. I think I will continue my re-start instead of going back to the cloud save. Fantastic game.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Vanillaware always has a distinct, pleasing art style, but I've always found the gameplay of their games a little lacking. I put a good amount of time into dragon crown and Odin sphere. My favorite is probably muramasa, but even that title didn't have the best gameplay. This game of course looks great visually and the premise is cool but after skimming the thread and a few trailers I kept wondering were the gameplay was. I finally found it and all I can think is... really? Maybe I just didn't find the right videos, but that battle system looks a bit bland compared to the rest of the game. Anyone got a video that will help convince me otherwise? What am I missing here?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Vanillaware always has a distinct, pleasing art style, but I've always found the gameplay of their games a little lacking. I put a good amount of time into dragon crown and Odin sphere. My favorite is probably muramasa, but even that title didn't have the best gameplay. This game of course looks great visually and the premise is cool but after skimming the thread and a few trailers I kept wondering were the gameplay was. I finally found it and all I can think is... really? Maybe I just didn't find the right videos, but that battle system looks a bit bland compared to the rest of the game. Anyone got a video that will help convince me otherwise? What am I missing here?
Its RTS game, and in my opinion despite its simple design the battles is pretty fun, with that being said just like Zero Escape series, the big selling of this game is the story.

manfestival

I had to take a small break from the game and getting back into it finally since I do not plan on playing Cyberpunk for a minute. My goodness this game and its well... not gonna say for spoiler reasons but these revelations. Can't wait till I get an idea of what is going on with the full story cause... this be wild trying to wrap my head around this stuff without all the pieces

SinDelta

I'm a little surprised by the popularity ranking revealed on the 1 year anniversary streaming.

RNlR1r5.jpg

I mean Shinonome? Seriously? She was way on the bottom of the list - whiny, super unfriendly, having to take the pills every few steps...
(although her storyline had more twists and more interesting investigation branches)

Sure, she is by far the one of the best character to have on the battle, mainly because of her double sentry gun ability, and apparently her Japanese VA, Saori Hayami is pretty well known...

It was pretty surprising to see Hijiyama being the #2 too. I also liked Natsuno, so I'm okay with her being #3 - but hoped Nenji (#8) would be higher, but Okino being #4.... interesting.

(And Yakisoba Pan was #30. lol)

And I approve of this: Best Start button location... Shiori Fuyusaka. :D

7hGTb5G.jpg
I think Shinonome is a loose Rei expy. Covered in bandages. That and her ghostlike pale apperence.

Having completed several of the character stories, gotta say the story is pretty crazy.

Last edited:

spectyre

I played for a few days and took a break from it. Game wasn't clicking with me. I came back to it after a week or 2 and I got hooked pretty good. Got the plat last week.

manfestival

I absolutely love the fact that the title screen changes based on your progress through the story. Booted the game up this time and there was all of this singing.
Gonna try to knock out a huge chunk of this game. Super into Shu Amiguchi's storyline at the moment.

manfestival

So the gameplay combat eventually grew on me. I guess there is something really nice about seeing a bunch of numbers appear on the screen and then getting S at the end of the mission. I got a few people at 100% now. Can't wait to see how this story unravels.

Danjin44

So the gameplay combat eventually grew on me. I guess there is something really nice about seeing a bunch of numbers appear on the screen and then getting S at the end of the mission. I got a few people at 100% now. Can't wait to see how this story unravels.
Despite of simple visuals in combat section, it actually pretty fun and weapon sound and explosion is pretty satisfying.

Last edited:

manfestival

Despite of simple visuals in combat section, it actually pretty fun and weapon sound and explosion is pretty satisfying.
Yep and something satisfying about hitting some units with the demolisher blade then watching them go flying back and BOOM. I eventually got over it since I play so many games in that genre and eventually ones like SRW I get to a point where I skip the animations and look to see how much damage I did only.

SinDelta

Just finished it.

13 Sentinels is perhaps the ultimate example of the saying - "Always backup your data."
It is also one of the grandest works of science fiction I've ever encountered.
Maxed out demolisher blade, interceptors, super heavy missiles and MRLS are insane and fun.
Saw a blue feather for the Valkyrie brand. Got chills.
First glimpse of new Earth looks extremely similar to the world of Erion from Odin Sphere.
Have not seen such a happy ending since The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Link to the Past where a universal scale magical force was involved.

Last edited:

manfestival

Just finished the game. What a journey.

That final battle. WHOA NELLY. My ps4 was hurting but my goodness. I have never experienced a battle like that. That ending was way happier than I was expecting. Somebody told me that they cried like 4 times during the story but I can only think of like one time and that was when BJ sacrificed himself that made me remotely sad.

Danjin44

Just finished the game. What a journey.

That final battle. WHOA NELLY. My ps4 was hurting but my goodness. I have never experienced a battle like that. That ending was way happier than I was expecting. Somebody told me that they cried like 4 times during the story but I can only think of like one time and that was when BJ sacrificed himself that made me remotely sad.
I find the ending of 13 Sentinels heart warming, especially the epilogue.....really, really enjoyed it.

Danjin44

Oh yeah for sure. It was really nice how they handled the epilogue.

Dat Yakushiji post pod scene with Juro.
I especially liked Nenji Ogata, Takemi and his gang threat him but Nenji missed them so much that he emotionally said “bring it on”.

Last edited:
Got the game but my PS4 won't read the disc. Maybe its such an obscure weebshit game that even the machine that prints the discs doesn't care.

Too bad I'm not gonna repurchase it. I wish they put download codes in the box.

I just cleared Kurabe’s storyline...holy shit. I think this game just moved Ghost Of Tsushima down to number two game of the year for me. The story is real tricky at first; in fact it’s batshit insane, but I’m having fun slowly piecing it together. Nearly done with Adventure mode(90 percent or so) but I enjoy the combat segments as well. So satisfying laying down 4+ sentries and getting easy s ranks, lol. Amazing visuals and sound too👌

Danjin44

I just cleared Kurabe’s storyline...holy shit. I think this game just moved Ghost Of Tsushima down to number two game of the year for me. The story is real tricky at first; in fact it’s batshit insane, but I’m having fun slowly piecing it together. Nearly done with Adventure mode(90 percent or so) but I enjoy the combat segments as well. So satisfying laying down 4+ sentries and getting easy s ranks, lol. Amazing visuals and sound too👌
On the surface the combat is not all that flashy but once you get in to it, its very satisfying.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
This would be my GotY if it weren't for but a few others, but it is exceptional. I try not to think about it 'cause I miss the characters and wish there was more that I could explore in their universe. I can't imagine the work they had to do to keep track of everything in the story to keep it together. Its really nice in how it leaves a bit up to the player to piece things together without patronizing them. Also the art is stellar, gorgeous from beginning to end, the acting great(I played in Jp dub) and the combat really fun. Can't wait for Vanillaware's next game!

Naibel

And I'm gonna add my voice to this concert of praises by saying this is the greatest game I've played this year. The plot is utterly bonkers and confusing at first but the way every piece of the puzzle just fit at the end is a mark of storytelling genius. I also had a very hard time trying to get the link between the combat segments and the story ones, but even that gets explained near the end ! It was so awesome ! Speaking of which, the combat gameplay was so addictive and engrossing I went for the S rank and the bonus targets every time.

A love letter to the SF and cyberpunk genres and a title that has the hallmarks of a cult classic. Simply mindblowing, well done Vanillaware :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'll try to find some spoiler-free review, cause that sounds interesting enough.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Finding a physical copy of this game is proving to be much harder than I thought. Here in Spain it's sold out everywhere, and people are asking +100€ for sealed copies.

Has the game sold really that well? Or was the production of physical copies really that small?

ps: based SEGA finally translating their games to spanish. Was surprised with P5R and Yakuza 7, but I was not expecting such a niche title as this one to be translated too.

Naibel

Finding a physical copy of this game is proving to be much harder than I thought. Here in Spain it's sold out everywhere, and people are asking +100€ for sealed copies.

Has the game sold really that well? Or was the production of physical copies really that small?

ps: based SEGA finally translating their games to spanish. Was surprised with P5R and Yakuza 7, but I was not expecting such a niche title as this one to be translated too.
100€, lol wut ? Here in France, it's on Amazon for 55€ and I still saw copies on multiples video game shops just last week. I suppose Spain got screwed when it came to stock and people at Sega thought "Hey, France is Weebtopia, let's give them more copies !" I dunno :messenger_downcast_sweat: but plz don't buy a copy for such a ridiculous price.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This is mostly due making very little physical copy of the game.
Guess they didn't wanted to take risks with such a niche game, but man, it really sucks. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

100€, lol wut ? Here in France, it's on Amazon for 55€ and I still saw copies on multiples video game shops just last week. I suppose Spain got screwed when it came to stock and people at Sega thought "Hey, France is Weebtopia, let's give them more copies !" I dunno :messenger_downcast_sweat: but plz don't buy a copy for such a ridiculous price.
Yep, on Amazon it's from 70+10 for sending it, and 110, and all of those are from third parties sellers. I've also looked on some second hand apps and it's the same. Damn weebs scalping the goods. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And no don't worry, I don't mind people scalping things to make some money, but I wont be the one paying those prices. At the worst case I'll just buy it digital.

TheMan

Dont' know how I feel about this one. I'm technically still in the tutorial i guess even though I've been introduced to like 6 storylines far. The story is alright but overall this feels like a gussied up visual novel with passable mech sequences that regrettably, inexplicably, don't show the mechs.

Danjin44

Dont' know how I feel about this one. I'm technically still in the tutorial i guess even though I've been introduced to like 6 storylines far. The story is alright but overall this feels like a gussied up visual novel with passable mech sequences that regrettably, inexplicably, don't show the mechs.
You are in prologue, once thats over you get to choose which character play as and when you want to do the battles.

In my personal opinion, disputes visual design in battle section it’s pretty fun especially later on.

borborygmus

What kind of game is this? Is this like a Telltale game?

TBH it's mostly a VN that sets the stage for some pretty simple RTS gameplay. I found it to be engrossing the way a really good show would be.

If you really don't like anime you probably won't like this.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Just imagine every sci fi troupe told in a great way.
It’s not too anime, but you do have to deal with it a little bit.
What kind of anime tropes? Is it the power of friendship maximum happiness type? Or is it just some booba here and there?

TintoConCasera

The game involves (mostly) school-aged teens, so there are a lot of nods to gakusei (学生) // school drama tropes: delinquent girl, track club, etc.

That said, the game is amazing. Absolutely transcendental. Play it.
Oh well, that doesn't bother me at all. I even find that kinda nostalgic, brings me back to the highschool days.

Raven117

Gold Member
What kind of anime tropes? Is it the power of friendship maximum happiness type? Or is it just some booba here and there?
I was more talking about scifi tropes. Some booba, a little fan service, but nothing out of control.

Nah, not really through the power of friendship stuff. They do come together, but its not like the whole in unison "yeah! I love you guys, lets get the bad dude!" kinda stuff. Come to think of it. Im not sure some even like each other.

TintoConCasera

I was more talking about scifi tropes. Some booba, a little fan service, but nothing out of control.

Nah, not really through the power of friendship stuff. They do come together, but its not like the whole in unison "yeah! I love you guys, lets get the bad dude!" kinda stuff. Come to think of it. Im not sure some even like each other.
Oh thanks. As much as I love SMT I really hated Apocalypse because of the cast of happy girls that care more about the cock of the MC that the fucking apocalypse that was going on.

You guys have sold me on the game, so it better be good. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Raven117

Gold Member
Oh thanks. As much as I love SMT I really hated Apocalypse because of the cast of happy girls that care more about the cock of the MC that the fucking apocalypse that was going on.

You guys have sold me on the game, so it better be good. :messenger_squinting_tongue:
There is some of that. Let’s be clear. But there is enough other stuff going on that you may find it interesting.

Valonquar

Just finished up the game with all trophies collected. Went through about 50 stages of Area 04 before reading it is basically endless (9999 waves)

It was an enjoyable game, with beautiful art. I wouldn't say it was GOAT or anything, but it was good. I liked Stien's Gate way more for story, and Danganropa more for gameplay gimmicks. Still, if you like Visual Novels at all, this is a top tier VN.

I feel like what they did with
the time travel not really being time travel but teleporting to a different area that was built to resemble a specific time period to be a bit well.... natively retarded.

Danjin44

I feel like what they did with
the time travel not really being time travel but teleporting to a different area that was built to resemble a specific time period to be a bit well.... natively retarded.
Why!? I actually really like that twist and I like how Miura read Japanese history book and saw nothing about Kaiju ever attacking Japan back in 1945, it was nice foreshadowing about true nature of the "time travel".

Last edited:
Top Bottom