• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels Aegis Rim sales top 200,000 in Japan

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

13-Sentinels_09-05-21-600x867.jpg

I really wish this game would have sold better in west, its my favourite game of all time in last generation.

McCheese

Great game, glad I picked up a physical copy of it. The tower defence stuff was way too easy and ended up just being a chore, but the visual novel side of things was amazing.

It sold "ok" in the west based on their expectations, if you really want to pour one out for something feel bad for Sakura Wars, which had a way higher budget and sold a fraction of what this did. Both are amazing games for anyone one the fence, last year was pretty nuts for great visual novels; but it's pretty obvious why it's rare given nobody bloody buys them in the West even when they get good review scores.

Last edited:
Fantastic gem of a game, it's definitely in my top 3 of best games from last gen as well alongside Bloodborne and Spiritfarer.

I even got one of my mates to reluctantly buy a copy last year and he ended up enjoying it a lot, even though he'd never played a VN before. We got to discuss the story over some beers and honestly it just made me love the game even more. I'll always support Vanillaware; I hope they stay around for a long time.

Manji Uzuki

This game its pure gold, I hope more people gets to play it. From its visual design, to the music, the story...its all great.

Even the combats (which are tje weakestpart) ended up being interesting. I'm usually not really into this kind of visual novel experiences but enjoyed every single second of this

So, should I get it ? know nothing about it
I think everyone should try it! There's some caveats, though: first, the game is very "anime-like". To put it simply -- everything from the art style to the story is very reminiscent of Japanese animation and if you're one of those people who find that sort of thing repulsive, you definitely won't enjoy this game.

Second, you should know the game has a pretty unique progression structure: you have a menu for the RTS combat missions (which I found to be quite easy even in the hardest of difficulties, although enjoyable) and a separate one for the story portion of the game (which plays like a sidescrolling visual novel or a simple adventure game, which is where the true meat of the game is). The story is very carefully crafted and is most definitely one of the craziest and most satisfying ones to see unravel in all of gaming, IMO. It left me thinking about it long after I finished playing it.

Overall, if you can stomach some classic anime tropes here and there, and you don't care for sub-par combat, give it a go. It's definitely worth the price of admission just to experience the beautiful graphics, fantastic voice-acting (at least the JPN dub), and incredible story.

EDIT: Oh, and the OST is full of bangers as well! Artistically I can't really point out anything that stands out as being shite, and as a product I think it's definitely worth its cost.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
In my opinion you absolutely should but the game is niche, I would say see some impression and reviews and decide for yourself.
I think everyone should try it! There's some caveats, though: first, the game is very "anime-like". To put it simply -- everything from the art style to the story is very reminiscent of Japanese animation and if you're one of those people who find that sort of thing repulsive, you definitely won't enjoy this game.

Second, you should know the game has a pretty unique progression structure: you have a menu for the RTS combat missions (which I found to be quite easy even in the hardest of difficulties, although enjoyable) and a separate one for the story portion of the game (which plays like a sidescrolling visual novel or a simple adventure game, which is where the true meat of the game is). The story is very carefully crafted and is most definitely one of the craziest and most satisfying ones to see unravel in all of gaming, IMO. It left me thinking about it long after I finished playing it.

Overall, if you can stomach some classic anime tropes here and there, and you don't care for sub-par combat, give it a go. It's definitely worth the price of admission just to experience the beautiful graphics, fantastic voice-acting (at least the JPN dub), and incredible story.

EDIT: Oh, and the OST is full of bangers as well! Artistically I can't really point out anything that stands out as being shite, and as a product I think it's definitely worth its cost.

Definitely will give it a try thanks

Reactions: Isa

yurinka

Maybe you haven’t noticed but Vanillaware doesn’t make sequels.
I don't give a fuck if they didn't make a sequel before, I want a sequel of Dragon's Crown 2 with watermelons sized sorceress. As the new (fictional) Vanillaware CEO I demand them to make a sequel! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Danjin44

I don't give a fuck if they didn't make a sequel before, I want a sequel of Dragon's Crown 2 with watermelons sized witch.
Then I'm sorry you are going to be disappointed but I personally love that, they make new game with each project which honestly very refreshing in sea of sequels.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
Nice to see, I only wish it did better. I'd also love to see it get ported to more platforms so more people could experience this gem. Incredible storytelling and wonderful characters. I loved every second of it, and the battles were very fun too. I really wish Atlus would port more of their incredible library to other platforms, I already double and triple dipped on some of their titles in the past, and I'd do it again for Switch, Xbox, PC. Man the colors, vibe and style of this game is soooo good.

Can't wait to see what they do next. I agree about Sakura Wars. Damn fine game with some laugh out loud moments.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The approach for the story with all its characters definitely made a lot of fun and felt fresh and together with the RTS gameplay came together as a unique game.

Glad that there is a place for such games. More people should give it a chance.

Danjin44

The approach for the story with all its characters definitely made a lot of fun and felt fresh and together with the RTS gameplay came together as a unique game.

Glad that there is a place for such games. More people should give it a chance.
What impressed me is telling that type of story and the way told it is not easy and I bet George Kamitani and his team worked their ass off to make it happen.

SinDelta

13 Sentinals is one of the greatest games ever made, a ode to many amazing 50s-90s blockbuster movies and a stark contrast to how absolutely terrible Hollywood has been with their blockbusters since the early 2000s.

Last edited:

Pejo

This game, and frankly the whole Vanillaware lineup would find a ton of fans on PC. I keep holding out hope that as Sony keeps shitting on Japan, more companies will move into that space.

Danjin44

This game, and frankly the whole Vanillaware lineup would find a ton of fans on PC. I keep holding out hope that as Sony keeps shitting on Japan, more companies will move into that space.
Agree with you, I would say PC and Nintendo players are much more open to VN/Adventure games like this more than Playstation and Xbox players.

Last edited:

Danjin44

It is. Its one of those games you have to talk someone into playing, and then when they play it they come back and tell you about it as if you never tried it lol
Its type of game that only worth of mouth will help people get in to the game. Even Japan this game wasn't doing too well either until word of mouth helped boots the sales.

Faithless83

Banned
It is. Its one of those games you have to talk someone into playing, and then when they play it they come back and tell you about it as if you never tried it lol
Due to adult life I hardly go on long gaming sessions anymore. This game made me pull some late nights and I've kept trying to figure it out what was going on.
I've been gaming since late 80's and no game story made me say "WTF?!?!" so many times in front of my tv before.

Amazing game from an amazing studio. I wish they had the budget for a triple-A version of this. The combat portion grew on me over time, but I wish I've set the game to hard the first time around.

ranmafan

Well deserved, in fact it deserves more copies sold. I really hope one day the game gets the respect it deserves from the larger audience. Amazing story. The fact it wasn’t even nominated for any western game awards for best narrative that I can think of was an insult.
Fantastic game and a fantastic story.

killatopak

Gold Member
George Kamitani is definitely up there with the directors I consider great and I would consider him an auteur with the amount of dedication he put out for this title. He really pushed this game through by sheer will.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
This game being PS4 exclusive is definitely hindering it's sales potential greatly. It'd do even better on other platforms, especially in Japan where Sony's presence is crashing hard.

Danjin44

This game being PS4 exclusive is definitely hindering it's sales potential greatly. It'd do even better on other platforms, especially in Japan where Sony's presence is crashing hard.
Unfortunately I have to agree, they current playstation players in west are much more in to AAA western games, while true audience for this game can be found in Switch and PC owners.

George Kamitani is definitely up there with the directors I consider great and I would consider him an auteur with the amount of dedication he put out for this title. He really pushed this game through by sheer will.
I found new respect for Kamitani after playing this game, it wasn't easy to make story like and make it work and he and his team pulled it off beautifully.

The fact it wasn’t even nominated for any western game awards for best narrative that I can think of was an insult.
Because those awards shows are popularity contest.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
What impressed me is telling that type of story and the way told it is not easy and I bet George Kamitani and his team worked their ass off to make it happen.
Wasn't there an interview where he said he doesn't want to do it again because it was so complicated? Not sure anymore.

bender

What time is it?
It's one of the most visually stunning games I've ever seen. The cast and story are great so far. The "game" part is a tad on the weak side. Easily my favorite Vanillaware offering.

Top Bottom