• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$130m Loss Expected for Epic Games Store Exclusives in First Wave

junguler

Banned
Enlight us please.
i'm happy to, here an old post of mine from june 2rd this year
spying on people's computers and steam friend list without disclosing it.
taking huge amount of system resources just to run the inferior launcher.
taking games hostage from pc gamers who don't want to use their shitty launchers and forcing them to wait 6 months to a year to get to play them.
forcing kickstarted games to not release on steam despite promises of steam version.
buying easy anti cheat and make it not work on linux anymore.
not having basic store features that other store fronts have had for years.
taking apple to court for not giving them complete access to their own store.
list goes on and on ...

This is why epic is needed. To make sure, steam doesn't get complicit.
The word you're looking for is complacement. And as far as complacency is concerned, I don't think you should be placing your faith in a competitor that has taken nearly three years and counting to implement a fucking shopping cart.

Epic might be a joke now, but honestly they are much better than steam lately. We don't even have valve games these days, aside of VR game.
And what Epic games do we have, aside from Fortnite? In case you've forgotten, they cancelled all the other games they were working on the minute Fortnite became a success. All they have done since is shop around for high profile games already in development and offer to cover potential losses with Fortnite money in return for exclusivity. There are no third party exclusives on the EGS that would not exist without Epic's funding.

Sgt.Asher

I haven't opened the epic launcher in over a year, i only got it because bordlerlands 3 and outerworlds came with my cpu. Since both of those games were massive disappointments i saw no need to go back.

kingfey

Banned
The word you're looking for is complacement. And as far as complacency is concerned, I don't think you should be placing your faith in a competitor that has taken nearly three years and counting to implement a fucking shopping cart.

And what Epic games do we have, aside from Fortnite? In case you've forgotten, they cancelled all the other games they were working on the minute Fortnite became a success. All they have done since is shop around for high profile games already in development and offer to cover potential losses with Fortnite money in return for exclusivity. There are no third party exclusives on the EGS that would not exist without Epic's funding.
What other games did steam made, other than half lyfe vr game, which majority of steam players don't play it, due to it being a vr game.

Exclusivity deal is the same thing Playstation is doing to xbox. Make their platform attractive. If you are ok with Playstation doing that, then you have no room to complain about epic doing it.

Epic fully supports fortnite. Does valve support CS, like epic is doing to fortnite?

If you cant see epic hardworking, with these movies, I doubt you will care about their store. Those 3 years, they managed to make gtav free for everyone on pc. Helped new users build up a library of games.

As for shopping cart, I can't excuse them that.

As for their games, they are doing tons of adds on for fortnite. We are getting a freaking pop star in a video game. Ariana grande is rumored to be coming to fortnite.

kingfey

Banned
The games on Steam are not exclusive. Read the thread.

What exactly is Epic doing that is better than Steam in your opinion? What functionality are you getting on the EGS that Steam doesn't have?
Most of steam games, can't be found on other stores on pc. That is a form of exclusive. Same as how persona is exclusive to Playstation, despite Playstation not paying any exclusive money, or timed exclusive.

For epic, free games, and support for their games. Aside of steam, valve has nothing really, while epic has UE5.

GHG

Gold Member
Most of steam games, can't be found on other stores on pc. That is a form of exclusive. Same as how persona is exclusive to Playstation, despite Playstation not paying any exclusive money, or timed exclusive.

For epic, free games, and support for their games. Aside of steam, valve has nothing really, while epic has UE5.

You play UE5? That's a development tool is not relevant to the discussion at hand.

Support for their games? Please tell me what happened to Unreal Tournament 4. Outside of Fortnite they support fuck all whereas Valve has continued to support all of their multiplayer titles over the years.

The "exclusives" (which aren't actually exclusive) are because the developers chose to only release the game on Steam. That's not Valve's fault but more the fault of all the other storefronts on PC for being places that developers/publishers don't even want to bother with for a variety of reasons.

What other games did steam made, other than half lyfe vr game, which majority of steam players don't play it, due to it being a vr game.
Uhh, I don't have a problem with Valve not making any games. You're the one who criticized them for that, and all I did was point out that Epic doesn't have any either.

If you are ok with Playstation doing that, then you have no room to complain about epic doing it.
I'm not. Moneyhatted exclusives are one of the reasons I ditched consoles.

Epic fully supports fortnite. Does valve support CS, like epic is doing to fortnite?
I dunno. What does Epic do for Fortnite that Valve doesn't do for CSGO? Other than whoring the game out to other companies and franchises as an advertising vehicle, I mean.

As for their games, they are doing tons of adds on for fortnite. We are getting a freaking pop star in a video game. Ariana grande is rumored to be coming to fortnite.
Yeah, I don't really see what's so great about that. How does that make the game better? Maybe I need to get in touch with my inner 12 year-old girl.

mckmas8808

Banned
To some degree, it makes you wonder how the business of GamePass is doing (given this news). If it took 200 million subs for Netflix to be in the constant profit, how many will it take EGS and GamePass?

Open platform, but closed minds.

Some clearly believe if you mention PC it means Steam.
Could it, I dunno, possibly have to do with Steam being the only platform currently and historically working to represent, and to make both the customer and developer experience better on, the entire PC platform? With giving the average indie developer the best chance at success on PC, by giving them access to the whole platform and its tools and assets, for $100 and no judgement on the game's quality? With their work for improving visibility for obscure titles, for making sure the platform remains open by funding and contributing to development of Linux software, for constantly being at the forefront of trying to make the entire PC platform better and make it reach wider, something they may be doing for their own sake but that benefits everyone?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Open platform, but closed minds.

Some clearly believe if you mention PC it means Steam.

Not at all. PC gamers have for a long time been dealing with numerous of different launchers without huge issues. It's just been a an annoyance, but these games are usually made by the owners of these different launchers. Epic on the other hand doesn't develop the games, they just pay for exclusivity, forcing people to use their crap launcher. I would be more positive if they just improved their launcher, but years later it's just as bad.

kingfey

Banned
You play UE5? That's a development tool is not relevant to the discussion at hand.

Support for their games? Please tell me what happened to Unreal Tournament 4. Outside of Fortnite they support fuck all whereas Valve has continued to support all of their multiplayer titles over the years.

The "exclusives" (which aren't actually exclusive) are because the developers chose to only release the game on Steam. That's not Valve's fault but more the fault of all the other storefronts on PC for being places that developers/publishers don't even want to bother with for a variety of reasons.
UE5 is for developers. Not for us. But its much important for fututr games, like gears 6.

They still support rocket league.

When the devs choose a platform, its creates an exclusive ground. Persona is the prime example of this. In order to play this game, You must have a playstation console. They did pc recent. Now apply this rule to Steam. Any game the devs puts on that store, wont be available on epic or on other stores, unless the dev decides it. This means, you need to buy the game on steam alone. Publishers putting their game, only on steam, makes steam much bigger. The same reason, why playstation is JRPG home.

When the devs choose a platform, its creates an exclusive ground. Persona is the prime example of this. In order to play this game, You must have a playstation console. They did pc recent. Now apply this rule to Steam. Any game the devs puts on that store, wont be available on epic or on other stores, unless the dev decides it. This means, you need to buy the game on steam alone. Publishers putting their game, only on steam, makes steam much bigger. The same reason, why playstation is JRPG home.
So a developer chooses to sell their game exclusively on Steam not because Valve is paying them money, but because they think it's a good fit. They're free to sell their game on any other store should they ever change their mind.

Two questions:

1) Where is the problem in that scenario?
2) If there is a problem, how does Epic paying developers not to release their games on Steam contribute to solving it?

MMaRsu

Banned

Exclusivity deal is the same thing Playstation is doing to xbox. Make their platform attractive. If you are ok with Playstation doing that, then you have no room to complain about epic doing it.

If you cant see epic hardworking, with these movies, I doubt you will care about their store. Those 3 years, they managed to make gtav free for everyone on pc. Helped new users build up a library of games.

As for shopping cart, I can't excuse them that.

Dude.. how old are you?

MMaRsu

Banned
"They still support Rocket League"

You mean they bought out the company and force you to connect to Epic Games and their shit service/store.

Lmao you cant make this shit up man.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah, since they bought the company out since they cant actually create something popular (outside the lucky hit that was Fortnite, which they basically took whole from pubg anyway)

kingfey

Banned
Yeah, since they bought the company out since they cant actually create something popular (outside the lucky hit that was Fortnite, which they basically took whole from pubg anyway)
You need actual studios to make games. And most of their time is on Unreal Engine. They would need to buy studios to make games. Same as how MS bought Bethesda.

Fortnite should have died long time ago, yet its the most survived BR game. Its all due to the constant support epic is giving the game. And the only game to have 2 Big major exclusive character. Alloy/Kratos and Master chief. As much as people hate it, no one come to close a game like that.

MMaRsu

Banned
Who cares about that shit tho? Literally noone but children.

I can play as Kratos? Wow im sure that will make a difference. Oh wait its just a useless skin.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Wait ... you're upset that some games went to Epic instead of Steam? Who the hell cares about which launcher a game is stored in?

Is this like the PC equivalent of "console wars"?

EGS is barely more than a launcher - meanwhile Steam is basically a feature-rich platform at this point.

Epic isn't attempting to compete by offering a better, or even more convenient, product.

kingfey

Banned
EGS is barely more than a launcher - meanwhile Steam is basically a feature-rich platform at this point.

Epic isn't attempting to compete by offering a better, or even more convenient, product.
They wont be a danger to steam, as long as 3rd party publishers dont put their games on epic. Until those guys start putting their games on epic, Steam would be safe. Once those guys start putting their games on epic, steam would lose some revenue from this action.

kingfey

Banned
why? I love my free Games with Gold / PS+ games on PC :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles:

for real. the Epic store is great for just collecting some free games each week
Plague tale is free tomorrow. While the game is on PS5 with PS+ mandatory, and gamepass on series console. I would gladly take the one epic is offering, since i dont have to pay anything for them.

You need actual studios to make games. And most of their time is on Unreal Engine. They would need to buy studios to make games. Same as how MS bought Bethesda.
Epic is an actual studio, and they have more than enough money to create additional games if they actually wanted to. Thing is, they clearly don't want to.

They actually had two other titles in development when Fortnite took off, but instead of using the money from that game to improve them and get them out faster, they just axed them. All they have done since is take games away from other platforms.

Yeah, they own Rocket League now, and I guess in a way they're "maintaining" it. But that game was already incredibly successful. It was being maintained just fine, and the developer wasn't hurting for money. The buyout had zero upsides for the players, all it did was force those playing on other platforms to install EGS.

Fortnite should have died long time ago, yet its the most survived BR game. Its all due to the constant support epic is giving the game. And the only game to have 2 Big major exclusive character. Alloy/Kratos and Master chief. As much as people hate it, no one come to close a game like that.
Do you not realize that they're not doing that shit for you? They're pimping out the game as an ad platform.

kingfey

Banned
Epic is an actual studio, and they have more than enough money to create additional games if they actually wanted to. Thing is, they clearly don't want to.

They actually had two other titles in development when Fortnite took off, but instead of using the money from that game to improve them and get them out faster, they just axed them. All they have done since is take games away from other platforms.

Yeah, they own Rocket League now, and I guess in a way they're "maintaining" it. But that game was already incredibly successful. It was being maintained just fine, and the developer wasn't hurting for money. The buyout had zero upsides for the players, all it did was force those playing on other platforms to install EGS.

Do you not realize that they're not doing that shit for you? They're pimping out the game as an ad platform.
Its like saying Elderscrolls and Fallout were great, so why did MS bought Bethesda? Business is business. Their 1st priority is their Engine. The UE5 is their bread and butter. Fortninte cost them alot of money to get those content. You dont get all these charecters, without paying insane amount of money.

Epic Games owns video game developers Chair Entertainment, Psyonix and Mediatonic, as well as cloud-based software developer Cloudgine, and operates eponymous sub-studios in Seattle, England, Berlin, Yokohama and Seoul.
That is how many studios epic owns. Epic produced small games. But most of their attention was on their Unreal Engine.

Their cancelled games was paragon, f2p game, and unreal tournament. They still made battle breaker. Its not as successful as fornite though.

Compared to steam, which had portal, left 4 dead, half-life, dota and csgo. Steam had a head start.

In order for epic to catch steam, they will need to buy tons of studios, and have aclaimed games. Good luck defeating portal 2, left4dead2, and half-life though.

junguler

Banned
why? I love my free Games with Gold / PS+ games on PC :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles:

for real. the Epic store is great for just collecting some free games each week
nothing is free tho, you are installing that piece of shit launcher and have to keep using it. i understand if you want to download the games as a fuck you to them but the trojan horse is already on your computer and at that point and there is no telling what kind of information it's collecting. we already know they spied on your steam friend list before, what's stopping them from doing the same thing for other stuff too? they have proved times and times again they are not trust worthy.

kingfey

Banned
nothing is free tho, you are installing that piece of shit launcher and have to keep using it. i understand if you want to download the games as a fuck you to them but the trojan horse is already on your computer and at that point and there is no telling what kind of information it's collecting. we already know they spied on your steam friend list before, what's stopping them from doing the same thing for other stuff too? they have proved times and times again they are not trust worthy.
Steam does that too. Every company does that too. Stop acting like a paranoid. They sell your data. They arent your friend.

Epic is good, when it does its free games, and the 10$ coupon, plus the discount. Bought rd2 very cheap. I got gtav free. Nba21 free. And tomorrow, I will get plague tales for free.

junguler

Banned
Steam does that too. Every company does that too. Stop acting like a paranoid. They sell your data. They arent your friend.

Epic is good, when it does its free games, and the 10$ coupon, plus the discount. Bought rd2 very cheap. I got gtav free. Nba21 free. And tomorrow, I will get plague tales for free.
steam clearly asks for you to accept to send opt in telemetry, it's different from spying without consent and only admitting it after some sweaty neck-beard found out about it on the internet.

kingfey

Banned
steam clearly asks for you to accept to send opt in telemetry, it's different from spying without consent and only admitting it after some sweaty neck-beard found out about it on the internet.
Its like the spy is asking nicely for your information. What stops steam from selling your gameplay habbits? your game sale habits? Also, steam gets constant update nonstop. That should be more worrying than ever.

junguler

Banned
Its like the spy is asking nicely for your information. What stops steam from selling your gameplay habbits? your game sale habits? Also, steam gets constant update nonstop. That should be more worrying than ever.
i don't have any reason not to trust steam, my default state is trusting but when a company is doing shady shit i'll start investigating and yes i'll stop using a product if i know it spies on me. it's one of the reasons i'm using linux and not windows anymore. microsoft is not trust worty, neither is epic.

Its like saying Elderscrolls and Fallout were great, so why did MS bought Bethesda? Business is business.
"Microsoft did it too!" and "Business is business!" aren't arguments.

Their 1st priority is their Engine. The UE5 is their bread and butter.
You couldn't be more wrong.

nOVinNB.png

You dont get all these charecters, without paying insane amount of money.
Are you delusional? Epic aren't paying for these characters. Sony, Microsoft, Wendy's, Ariana Grande management and God knows who else are paying Epic for the right to advertise their products in Fortnite.

Banned

well honestly, they can spy on me all they want, they will be bored to death while I play their games for free lol

They are treating the PC gaming ecosystem as if it's a console one.

If you only sell software there is no need for a loss leader strategy, people will go wherever they see value. They should have spent that money creating value instead of going around moneyhatting a bunch of games thinking people would take kindly to it.
So what about Xbox buying out everything? Buying things out has a time and place. Plenty of Valve fan boys would never give Epic a chance without these exclusives/free games. One could argue customers should stop being so fucking lazy and switch to Epic so developers can use that saved money for more content.

kingfey

Banned
"Microsoft did it too!" and "Business is business!" aren't arguments.
That is how business is. If a business buys a product, that product is theirs. Same as how MS owns Bethesda products.

You couldn't be more wrong.

A big reason Epic attracted $1.25 billion from venture and private equity leaders Kleiner Perkins and KKR is a bet that the gaming engine behind-the-scenes, called the Unreal Engine, that has turned Fortnite into a household name will become critical to technology across many sectors of the economy, from architecture to medical research and car manufacturing.​

“In a way, the Unreal Engine is to Epic Games what AWS is to Amazon. Both companies monetize the proprietary infrastructure used to support their core businesses. Over time, these infrastructure offerings have become core businesses of their own,” said Jud Waite, senior analyst at CB Insights, which studies the start-up marketplace.​

How Epic makes money from other companies​

Today, Epic’s revenue doesn’t come directly from charging other companies to use the Unreal Engine — it is free. Epic takes a 5 percent cut of all gross revenue on applications (primarily games) created using the engine once they make $3,000 per quarter. As an example, Epic is earning money from Fortnite’s main competitor, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, developed by South Korea’s Bluehole using the Unreal Engine. The company has some arrangements with game studios who may pay a custom fee rather than the royalty agreement, though Epic declined to name studios with which it has custom deals.

The standard royalty model makes Unreal more accessible to hobbyists or even enterprise users looking to get started with the engine. In all, more than 7 million people currently license Unreal Engine 4 for both gaming and enterprise use, according to Epic data.

This is what Unreal Engine does to epic. It allows to spread itself wider, due to how many games use the service.

These are the games that use Unreal Engine

These companies have contract with epic, and royalties fees. The more popular the game becomes, the more money epic makes it from.

Are you delusional? Epic aren't paying for these characters. Sony, Microsoft, Wendy's, Ariana Grande management and God knows who else are paying Epic for the right to advertise their products in Fortnite.
This is like saying MS paid Nintendo for Banjo and Steve to be put on Smash bros.

Epic has to pay these companies, and actors the likeness of their characters, and faces. Do you think LeBron James pays Epic to put his face on fortnite? You are seriously delusional.

In order for epic to get deals like these, they have to pay hefty amount of money.

Hell, Sony gave them Aloy and Kratos. How much money do you think they paid to Sony, to get these characters?

This is what Unreal Engine does to epic. It allows to spread itself wider, due to how many games use the service.

These are the games that use Unreal Engine

These companies have contract with epic, and royalties fees. The more popular the game becomes, the more money epic makes it from.
Yes, all of these companies have contracts with Epic, and all of the money Epic makes from these companies is included in the Engine category of that graph I posted. You know, that thin grey line that's absolutely dwarfed by that huge blue bar representing Fortnite revenue?

Unreal Engine isn't what's buttering Epic's bread anymore, and it hasn't been for years.

Do you think LeBron James pays Epic to put his face on fortnite? You are seriously delusional.
No. Nike did. This isn't an ad for LeBron, it's an ad for his sneakers.

In order for epic to get deals like these, they have to pay hefty amount of money.

Hell, Sony gave them Aloy and Kratos. How much money do you think they paid to Sony, to get these characters?
They don't have to pay anything. At best, they'd offer to split the profits.

Now before you respond to this, could you please answer the questions I asked in my earlier post? You've ignored them so far.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They wont be a danger to steam, as long as 3rd party publishers dont put their games on epic. Until those guys start putting their games on epic, Steam would be safe. Once those guys start putting their games on epic, steam would lose some revenue from this action.

Some of the most prolific third party game publishers, such as Ubisoft and 2K, have already struck either timed or as of this moment still exclusive deals with Epic for PC digital distribution. One still cannot purchase The Division 2 on Steam, for example. Borderlands 3 had a about a year of exclusivity on EGS. And so on.

Epic has to pay these companies, and actors the likeness of their characters, and faces. Do you think LeBron James pays Epic to put his face on fortnite? You are seriously delusional.
Do you have any idea how much mass-reach advertisement costs nowadays? An appearance in Fortnite is an event that gets you seen by millions of excitable people with easy access to cash. It's not quite "Superbowl halftime ad" kind of powerful, but it's damn close - and that costs hundreds of thousands to millions per second. So even if an actor or performer would normally be paid to do an appearance, it's a really good question who's paying who in these cases.

160 free games from EGS and haven't installed a single one yet.
wBL77c9.png

Top Bottom