• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

132 Japanese game creators and personalities choose Ghost of Tsushima as their GOTY (Famitsu)

Bryank75

Banned

Top 5 in order

Ghost of Tsushima
Animal Crossing: New Horizon
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

THEAP99

Banned
So deserved.

Still salty it got robbed at the TGAs
It had the lowest critic score out of any of the nominations at TGA and you should be happy it even got nominated. It is not surprise to anyone it did not win considering 90% of it is decided by critics.

Sony is never lacking in AAA japanese exclusives :^)
In term of production value it's certainly an AAA for western market but for Japanese market it's a niche.
Top 10 best selling games of 2020(Famitsu)
  1. NSW: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) - 6.175.256
  2. NSW: Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) - 1.474.151
  3. NSW: Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co) - 935.105
  4. PS4: Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square Enix) - 932.821
  5. NSW: Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 755.084
  6. NSW: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - 685.525
  7. NSW: Smash Ultimate (Nintendo) - 473.460
  8. NSW: Minecraft (Microsoft) - 473.358
  9. NSW: Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) - 455.474
  10. NSW: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo) - 427.367

THEAP99

Banned
Critics, you say?

So... robbed? :messenger_winking:
No, not robbed. The awards have always been decided by critics. For the game to have been robbed, one of two things would've had to happen:

- The awards are decided by fans
- Ghost of Tsushima have a higher critic rating since launch that's comparable to the other games nominated

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
No, not robbed. The awards have always been decided by critics. For the game to have been robbed, one of two things would've had to happen:

- Ghost of Tsushima have a higher critic rating since launch that's comparable to the other games nominated

I'm heavily impliying critics underscored it and so the same critics didn't give it the goty at the tgas.

Yoboman

Finally picking this one up for Christmas

Open world games generally aren't my cup of tea so hopefully it lives up to the hype

Vick

clapping-crowd-applause.gif

Based Japan.

I'm roughly at 15 hours of play time and man. The combat. The skill tree.
Just wait till you unlock Surging Strikes..

top-10-entrantes-catalanes.gif

ZehDon

Gold Member
Congratulations to SuckerPunch for winning these smaller awards at least
Maybe this will make Sony invest in japanese type of games since everyone is scared they're always ignoring japan
It had the lowest critic score out of any of the nominations at TGA and you should be happy it even got nominated. It is not surprise to anyone it did not win considering 90% of it is decided by critics.

that does not mean it was robbed.
Six posts on the first page patronising the developer, the game, and its fans. Pace yourself.

Fredrik

Yeah I’m surprised people don’t realize what kind of underdog Ghost was at TGA, it did lots of things right but check this list and keep scrolling down until you find Ghost, currently sits at #96 based on the critics score.

carlosrox

Banned
I still really wanna try this game out and it's apparent improvement on PS5 make it even more tempting.

Backlog is just too massive, there's too many damn games to play.

Boss Mog

You mean the woke critics, who don't even play games, didn't give a game with no black people or trans people a high score? Well I, for one, am shocked! Good thing nobody gives a shit what woke critics say except salty social justice warriors then. What matters is what gamers think and when you look at the user scores on metacritic it's pretty clear what gamers think of both GoT and TLOU2 and it's why GoT won the people's voice TGA.

kyussman

Are the loonies over at Resetera still outraged that a western dev took on a Japanese tale like this.......despite everyone in Japan saying it was fantastic.....probably,lol.

Dammit is this the best game ever or a by the numbers standard open world formula game but in a feudal Japan setting?

I can't get a straight answer out of you people

(shakes and slaps GAF)

In term of production value it's certainly an AAA for western market but for Japanese market it's a niche.
Top 10 best selling games of 2020(Famitsu)
  1. NSW: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) - 6.175.256
  2. NSW: Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) - 1.474.151
  3. NSW: Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co) - 935.105
  4. PS4: Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square Enix) - 932.821
  5. NSW: Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 755.084
  6. NSW: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - 685.525
  7. NSW: Smash Ultimate (Nintendo) - 473.460
  8. NSW: Minecraft (Microsoft) - 473.358
  9. NSW: Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) - 455.474
  10. NSW: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo) - 427.367
You can't be serious : GoT Is probably number 11 in that list with over 405.000 copia sold and It would be possibly some position higher if Famitsu had a more complete accounting of Digital Sales. It's the second best selling Ps game of the year, after FFVII remake. How Is this niche ?

Azurro

Banned

Oh, it's ok, that will get rectified in the sequel, they'll add a trans black samurai that is banished from xer bigoted village, some bigot sushi, an ugly lesbian samurai to replace Jin and say fuck you to the patriarchy and it will get all the awards. Easy peasy. ;)

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Maybe this will make Sony invest in japanese type of games since everyone is scared they're always ignoring japan

"Japanese creators praising a Japanese game"
cover1.jpg

I agree tho, fire Druckmann and replace him with tenfold of Japanese devs instead.

Top Bottom