• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

132 Japanese game creators and personalities choose Ghost of Tsushima as their GOTY (Famitsu)

Mabdia

Japanese does prizes right! Amazing game, amazing cast, amazing art, amazing product. One of the best games from Sony this entire gen.

This, Gravity Rush and Days Gone are the best that Sony delivered this gen.

Royal-Slime

Banned
Japanese like graphics as much as any other audience. It's a game with good graphics and made by foreigners with some respect to Japanese culture, has a little bit of Japanese charm to it that you would see in a J. game.

And there you go. Ghost of Tsushima is good but it's absolutely in no damn way better than Animal Crossing or Final Fantasy. If Japanese will continue this *** they'll eventually loose their best franchises. But then again, there's not many companies left that make very good Japanese games anyway: Capcom is essentially aiming to be even more Western-oriented (if the leaks are true), Square Enix and Atlus/SEGA so far are the only strong companies left.

rolandss

My personal GOTY too, and favourite game on the PS4 period, followed closely by RDR2. Great cap off to the generation, well deserved Sucker Punch. I'm really looking forward to an inevitable PS5 sequel.

Woopah

Aahhh Famitsu, a totally unbiased gaming magazine /s
The list was from games that developers picked. The games weren't picked by Famitsu themselves.
Japanese like graphics as much as any other audience. It's a game with good graphics and made by foreigners with some respect to Japanese culture, has a little bit of Japanese charm to it that you would see in a J. game.

And there you go. Ghost of Tsushima is good but it's absolutely in no damn way better than Animal Crossing or Final Fantasy. If Japanese will continue this *** they'll eventually loose their best franchises. But then again, there's not many companies left that make very good Japanese games anyway: Capcom is essentially aiming to be even more Western-oriented (if the leaks are true), Square Enix and Atlus/SEGA so far are the only strong companies left.
I don't think the industry is in that bad a shape. On top of the publishers your mentioned, Nintendo, Koei Tecmo, Marvelous and Capcom all seem to be doing pretty well.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Who knows WTF you said
gay GIF

Duchess

Still not played Ghost; saving it for the PS5.

I remember when the game launched and you had a bunch of lunatics calling it cultural appropriation (these fuckwits will jump on anything, it seems). Well, the Japanese love it. How about that?

v_iHuGi

Banned
In term of production value it's certainly an AAA for western market but for Japanese market it's a niche.
Top 10 best selling games of 2020(Famitsu)
  1. NSW: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) - 6.175.256
  2. NSW: Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) - 1.474.151
  3. NSW: Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co) - 935.105
  4. PS4: Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square Enix) - 932.821
  5. NSW: Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 755.084
  6. NSW: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) - 685.525
  7. NSW: Smash Ultimate (Nintendo) - 473.460
  8. NSW: Minecraft (Microsoft) - 473.358
  9. NSW: Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) - 455.474
  10. NSW: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo) - 427.367

i bet it´s above 1/2 of these with Digital.

You remind me of that dude who ranted about Parasite beating out Joker for Best Picture. Similar path of logic.

Bit_Reactor

Ghost of Tsushima was one of my favorite games this year. The MP update being free and more supernatural was also awesome.

I think the most play time my PS4/5 got so far is Spiderman and GoT so this is nice to see after a bunch of people fear mongered that it was fetishizing samurai and stuff.

Wished it'd won GOTY more often but I hope the game gets a sequel. About to start my NG+ playthrough on PS5.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Japan aren't at the forefront of the industry anymore because they've lost sight as to what made them the leaders in the first place. How many of the giant cultural icons from Japan are there these days? Megaman is gone, Dante (Devil May Cry) is currently stuck in Limbo because Capcom wanted to "westernize" one of their most popular game series in the west, Silent Hill is capoopsky, Metal Gear Solid is up for debate as to it's future. Heck, Nintendo and Square Enix didn't even want to release Bravely Default stateside because they didn't think it would sell, and it ended up tripling the Japanese Sales in the first week. They responded with "We didn't think you wanted games like this anymore".

Not to mention the Japanese Market went from putting out the highest quality, most polished games like Street Fighter II to releasing Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter IV ULTRA Edition, Street Fighter IV SUPER Edition, Street Fighter IV SUPER ULTRA Edition, Street Fighter IV SUPER ULTRA DELUXE EDITION MAN!. The blatant cash grab just to remain competitive in their games is sleazy business practice, and it's part of why Nintendo is the only Japanese company that doesn't have bad PR right now (Though the Youtubers understandably dislike them).

Also, make no mistake that VR Headsets are coming, but they are still a LOOOOONG way off before they replace consoles. A) The technology only really works in either specifically built arenas or giant treadmill sized peripherals (Per person), B) It is a lot harder to have friends over to play with VR Headsets than it is a controller and TV, and C) It's still expensive as hell. Add to the fact that not everyone is going to go for it and Consoles aren't going away any time soon.

Last edited:

Woopah

Japan aren't at the forefront of the industry anymore because they've lost sight as to what made them the leaders in the first place. How many of the giant cultural icons from Japan are there these days? Megaman is gone, Dante (Devil May Cry) is currently stuck in Limbo because Capcom wanted to "westernize" one of their most popular game series in the west, Silent Hill is capoopsky, Metal Gear Solid is up for debate as to it's future. Heck, Nintendo and Square Enix didn't even want to release Bravely Default stateside because they didn't think it would sell, and it ended up tripling the Japanese Sales in the first week. They responded with "We didn't think you wanted games like this anymore".

Not to mention the Japanese Market went from putting out the highest quality, most polished games like Street Fighter II to releasing Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter IV ULTRA Edition, Street Fighter IV SUPER Edition, Street Fighter IV SUPER ULTRA Edition, Street Fighter IV SUPER ULTRA DELUXE EDITION MAN!. The blatant cash grab just to remain competitive in their games is sleazy business practice, and it's part of why Nintendo is the only Japanese company that doesn't have bad PR right now (Though the Youtubers understandably dislike them).

Also, make no mistake that VR Headsets are coming, but they are still a LOOOOONG way off before they replace consoles. A) The technology only really works in either specifically built arenas or giant treadmill sized peripherals (Per person), B) It is a lot harder to have friends over to play with VR Headsets than it is a controller and TV, and C) It's still expensive as hell. Add to the fact that not everyone is going to go for it and Consoles aren't going away any time soon.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. My counterpoint is that these things are not Japan-specific.

Declining IP - Yes Megaman and Metal Gear aren't as big as they once were (I don't agree about DMC, we got a successful game in the franchise not too long ago, plus I'm sure we'll get a DMC6 once Dragon's Dogma 2 is done.)

But there are plenty of Western franchises that have declined. Rayman, Prince of Persia, Medal of Honour, Guitar Hero, Spyro, Tony Hawk's. These franchises only live on in remakes and spin offs.

At the same time, there are many Japanese franchises that continue to do well both critically and commercially (Monster Hunter, Mario, Persona, Resident Evil, Zelda etc.)

Blatant cash grabs - Again not Japan-specific. What Capcom does with Street Fighter is bad, but I don't think it's worse than the loot boxes, microtransactions and XP boosts we see in many western titles.

Some publishers are doing better than others, but overall I think the Japanese gaming industry is in a pretty good place right now.

I agree with everything you said about VR, but not sure how it links to the wider discussion

I remember when the game launched and you had a bunch of lunatics calling it cultural appropriation (these fuckwits will jump on anything, it seems). Well, the Japanese love it. How about that?
They probably should have talked to some Japanese people first but then you can't get those lovely retweets and internet pats on the backs. Even Yakuza's director marveled at Jin saying he was in awe and loved the design of the character because he's just a dude. He looks normal and he could never get away with that in Japan because the market wants handsome or beautiful lead characters.

sainraja

The game is very well put together so it deserves it. The voice acting in the game isn't too bad either (it's not like naughtydogs but it is good enough.) What I really love though, is how it controls! And the combat. They nailed it there.

Wvrs

I bought this on release and have barely touched it since, I'm maybe 5 hours deep.

Please convince me to love it, GAF.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

I remember some dumbwit on Twitter trying to peddle this and apparently her being half Japanese mattered more on this issue than the entire nation of Nippon.

“I feel someone appropriated half my heritage” lol the times we live in.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Absolutely loved this game and it was the first big title I finished on the PS5.
132 people chose correctly.
The culturial appropriation thing is a joke. It seems like Sucker Punch took a lot of time and care to get it right.

Boss Mog

Another reason GoT should be GotY above TLOU2 is that Sucker Punch actually went and bumped the game to 60fps on PS5, Naughty Dog, on the other hand can't be bothered it seems, or maybe they plan on selling a "remaster" down the line.

Meesh

Its seriously killing me that I haven't been able to play this yet. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it.

Top Bottom