• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That is goddamn ridiculous. They must just be adding all the season pass content, but hopefully games don't start doing this if those are a general glimpse at the size.

Wait...so when you put a disk in it downloads the game from the store instead of installing the disk version? Presumably to get the latest version of the game I guess?

Also there's no way to cancel the update and just play the game?

No, it downloads the patch before the install. People have been saying DR3 + Ryse specifically took a long time to install as they both have large patches.

It's mostly dumb as it doesn't notify of the patch(or the percent that's at), it's not until the thing jumps to 1% and starts moving that you know it finished. Same with people saying it's getting hung at a certain percent, it seems to add on to the intial install so a 100% finish will drop to say a 95% when a patch hits, making it seem like it almost got finished but it actually just started there.

Xanathus

If you disconnect your internet connection in the middle of the patch download, does it allow you to continue playing? If not, doesn't this effectively mean that the game has always online DRM?

That is goddamn ridiculous. They must just be adding all the season pass content, but hopefully games don't start doing this if those are a general glimpse at the size.

No, it downloads the patch before the install. People have been saying DR3 + Ryse specifically took a long time to install as they both have large patches.

It's mostly dumb as it doesn't notify of the patch(or the percent that's at), it's not until the thing jumps to 1% and starts moving that you know it finished. Same with people saying it's getting hung at a certain percent, it seems to add on to the intial install so a 100% finish will drop to say a 95% when a patch hits, making it seem like it almost got finished but it actually just started there.

Ryse has a 3GB patch, went through it the end of last week. Much better then I expected it to be, definitely better then reviews made it out to be. I enjoyed it more then ACIV: Black Flag, I felt that was more of trudge to get through. The story was kind of dull and didn't move the actual story along that much (and didn't make you emotionally attached to any of it's main characters).

hawk2025

Finished downloading the patch and started playing.

Don't worry, folks, the features you know and love like the Sharpening Filter and loading textures are still there! :)

sigh.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Oh weird. This seems so backwards compared to the 360.

And this is why limiting patch sizes is a good thing Microsoft. Dear lord. If you dont give studios a reason to limit their patches, they wont bother as time == money. Why the hell they removed it when it worked so incredibly well with the 360 is a clue to me. Who was complaining about the small patch sizes before?

That's a pretty silly high amount of gigabitities. Seems to be a trend with all next gen games though that they are bloated as fuck with stuff they could easily have compressed without a noticeable difference, personally I worry more about hard disc space in the future than the bandwidth.

It's not really limiting the amount of GBs for patches so much as making it a mandatory thing that users will have to update the game before play, and an update that puts the DLC in your game when you may not want it, at that.

Are we sure that it isn't overwriting pre-existing hard drive space taken up by Dead Rising 3, as opposed to filling your hard drive with a full 13GB of additional data on top of the initial install?

Tagg9

I've noticed the same thing on PS4 unfortunately. There was a DC Universe patch at 8GB+, and other games had patches around 2GB (Killzone, I think?).

MCD

And this is why limiting patch sizes is a good thing Microsoft. Dear lord. If you dont give studios a reason to limit their patches, they wont bother as time == money. Why the hell they removed it when it worked so incredibly well with the 360 is a clue to me. Who was complaining about the small patch sizes before?

Yes, there should be a limit.

maybe 3 or 5 gig but not 13.

MS please.

I've noticed the same thing on PS4 unfortunately. There was a DC Universe patch at 8GB+, and other games had patches around 2GB (Killzone, I think?).

DC Universe is pretty large, but it has been out for years now. Killzone's patches are like MBs, the latest one being 311MB.

Like people are saying here, not even the PC platform reaches patches higher than 10GB usually.

Montresor

Last-gen: Microsoft has too many restrictions. I am absolutely outraged that <NO NAME INDIE DEVELOPER> had to pay $10,000 to patch his game!!!

Current-gen: Microsoft doesn't have enough restrictions! Let's re-implement paid patches and reduce patch sizes!!!

Last-gen: Microsoft has too many restrictions. I am absolutely outraged that <NO NAME INDIE DEVELOPER> had to pay $10,000 to patch his game!!!

Current-gen: Microsoft doesn't have enough restrictions! Let's re-implement paid patches and reduce patch sizes!!!

Nice strawman. Almost as good as the other guy, but not quite there yet. Too obvious.

Teddified

Are we sure that it isn't overwriting pre-existing hard drive space taken up by Dead Rising 3, as opposed to filling your hard drive with a full 13GB of additional data on top of the initial install?

Can you even check the size of games/installs on XBO? I seem to remember that there isn't a data management system yet.

beast786

you don't have to defend so aggressively bro. at least read the thread first.

ieatzombies

The DC Universe patch on for the PS4 was just over 5GB afaik.

DC Universe is pretty large, but it has been out for years now. Killzone's patches are like MBs, the latest one being 311MB.

Like people are saying here, not even the PC platform reaches patches higher than 10GB usually.
Was just about to chime in to say this. The PS4 patches has been nowhere near that size. Wonder what the deal is. Also curious to find out if the procedure is just overwriting the past install and patch as opposed to adding it to the hardrive.

nasanu

Banned
Not sure why people would complain about this, they don't give you a patch that size for the fun of it. It has to be textures and video/audio, stuff that will improve the game.

Would you all rather than just abandon the game and move on?

VanWinkle

What.

beast786

Not sure why people would complain about this, they don't give you a patch that size for the fun of it. It has to be textures and video/audio, stuff that will improve the game.

well. it would be nice to actually know what the patch was about.

Was just about to chime in to say this. The PS4 patches has been nowhere near that size. Wonder what the deal is.

That isn't to say it couldn't happen elsewhere. But I'm pretty sure I was able to play Killzone without having to update it.

Had to wait for my girlfriend to come home so I could use her phone's internet to take on the update.

It's probably preparation for the DLC. Why? Because when someone rolls out a huge patch like that, especially Capcom, they love to hype it up. There's no indication as to what the patch contains or what it's fixing. "Stability issues" means jack shit when we have no idea what it's applied to.

That goes out to all of you damn developers. You gotta lemme know what bugs you squashed.

Top Bottom