• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

Nemesis_

Yes, but it's kind of a crummy thing to do when the DLC is this huge :(

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending it. It's very very annoying - especially here in Australia where some people still have metered internet.

I did buy the season pass though
flame shield activate
so I'm going to just download it anyway.

But it is really, really ridiculous that others who have no intention of buying it have to install so much data. It's so big.

I honestly thought MS had it right with Gen7. They've taken a massive step back with regards to their patching protocols.

Orayn

Is this some kind of Unreal 3-like fuckery where they have to re-bake a ton of assets if they make some random little change? Jesus Christ.

hawk2025

Bandwith-restricted gamers:

ehCNstu.jpg

That's actually more efficient by allowing the service do it itself with every DLC release. Less work for both the publisher, developer and gamer. Steam and Origin does it.

Great for them -- I don't want 13GB of my Hard Drive going to a game that I'm over and done with.

How big is the game as is? And is this an increase to the size you need to have reserved for anybody who plays the game from here on out?

Or does this replace some files so that your game data is still close to the original install size?

Chanser

Everytime a new patch came out for Super Monday Night Combat, they force you to download the whole game again. Thankfully that is no longer the case.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
This is just a theory, but the achievement list was also recently updated with all of the remaining expansion packs achievements that are included with the season pass.

Is it possible that the patch downloads the content to your system, and when you actually "purchase" the DLC through the store, it's merely an unlock key?

I believe they did a similar thing with RE5 Versus on the PS3.

Just a thought.

Oh that just takes it to a whole new level, doesn't it?

Can you imagine if Rock Band was like that? They would just pre-emptively upload every single song they release for DLC to your console, but you can only use the ones you paid for. Madness.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's actually more efficient by allowing the service do it itself with every DLC release. Less work for both the publisher, developer and gamer. Steam and Origin does it.

It's not really a feature: some publishers opt to include DLC content in patches, other don't. That's all there is to it. Didn't Microsoft impose a size limit on patches with the X360? I'd assume that's why we're only now (seemingly) seeing Capcom adopt adopt the former with DR3.

Cartman86

Banned
Great for them -- I don't want 13GB of my Hard Drive going to a game that I'm over and done with.

1. Presumably when you uninstall the game (like Steam) the update will not download?
2. If Microsoft did it correctly (not a guarantee) then once the hard drive becomes full it should delete that data?

Nemesis_

I tried to find the downloadable content in Smartglass but I had no luck (my intention was to see what the filesize of each expansion was).

I guess MS expects us to own no more than 8 games for The One™ throughout the entire generation then?

That 500GB is gonna fill up mighty fast.

As someone with a cap and not unlimited bandwidth this is the thing that i HATE about "next gen"

2 gb patch here, 3 gb patch there and it all adds up, unless they are updating entire art assets i dont understand how a simple code patch can be so large.

13gb is just insane

calder

Honest questions: you can delete games from your XBO right? Like if you bought it digitally you can either remove the game when you're done or at least tell it to not auto update* if you font play it anymore, correct? I recall some complaints about disc space back at launch but I don't recall the details. Bad enough downloading a giant DLC laden patch for a game you aren't actively playing from a bandwidth perspective.

* presumes auto updating is a thing of course

Silky

Banned

. . . . .

then. . . .

don't update it???? like lol this is obviously intended for people who're still playing the game. what's your argument?

hawk2025

Honest questions: you can delete games from your XBO right? Like if you bought it digitally you can either remove the game when you're done or at least tell it to not auto update* if you font play it anymore, correct? I recall some complaints about disc space back at launch but I don't recall the details. Bad enough downloading a giant DLC laden patch for a game you aren't actively playing from a bandwidth perspective.

* presumes auto updating is a thing of course

You can delete it, and I'm assuming that will keep the auto updates from happening.

...but then, if I want to play the base game again, I have to sit through the 20-30 minutes of installation before doing so -- AND the 13GB patch.

Sorry, this is just not acceptable as a DLC patch. Again, assuming this is a DLC patch. For all I know, it will be a beautiful thing that makes the game look great and adds a ton of free content.

I'll let you know in... about an hour, most likely :p

ascii42

If it's the DLC why the fuck are people who didn't buy it forced to download it?!

I don't know anything about the DLC for this game so I can't speak for it, but sometimes it's necessary in games with online multiplayer, depending on the content. Say you are playing a racing game online. If you are playing against somebody who has bought a DLC car, the data for that car needs to be on your system for your system to be able to render it, whether you've bought it or not. Same goes for things like costumes. That's why the LittleBigPlanet games have a billion patches.

Top Bottom