• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

It's really weird how all Xbox owners seem to have crappy internet connections, but PlayStation owners have the best connections going.

Big patches appear for Xbox games "oh my god, what are they thinking. There goes my monthly cap..etc etc"

PSN+ has free games every month (some of which are huge) "PS+ is the best service ever, I love it"

Bandwidth and game download sizes never seem to get bitched about in the PSN thread.

unwritt3n

Banned
Time for me to disable auto updates. I only have 50Gb per month. That's sucks if its dlc, coz I don't fken want it. Should only download if I buy it

Either it's a huge content addition or they packaged their files like imbeciles.

Well, it's for the DLC.

It's a huge annoyance if you aren't going to buy the DLC. If you are, then this is good news, but it's imposed and silly when you don't plan to.

It's really weird how all Xbox owners seem to have crappy internet connections, but PlayStation owners have the best connections going.

Big patches appear for Xbox games "oh my god, what are they thinking. There goes my monthly cap..etc etc"

PSN+ has free games every month (some of which are huge) "PS+ is the best service ever, I love it"

Bandwidth and game download sizes never seem to get bitched about in the PSN thread.

Sweeping generalizations, small sample size, and just outright ignoring the constant threads that do complain about Sony' service, you are comparing an update for DLC versus free games.

But hey, keep on truckin'.

hawk2025

Surely you understand the difference between a free game a person chooses to download, and a patch that adds wanted or unwanted DLC to a game...

Right?

Persona7

Banned
5 years ago this would have been insane. I remember 1GB PS3 and 360 demos taking FOREVER to download on my 6mbps connection. That was the fastest speed available at the time. I remember downloading the demo for "The Darkness" and it took about 9 hours.

Luckily I get 105mbps with the same cable connection now.

FluxWaveZ

Man, that's some masterful false equivalence right there.

hawk2025

5 years ago this would have been insane. I remember 1GB demos taking FOREVER to download on my 6mbps connection. That was the fastest speed available at the time.

Luckily I get 105mbps with the same cable connection now.

I remember being amazed while downloading Siren Blood Curse. Felt it was a massive, unprecedented thing.

...that was 7GB :p

calder

Ah that's good. I was confused for a minute, maybe thinking of the complaints about not being able to see free disk space.

This is still annoying for ppl who keep games on their system as a matter of course, but I'm of the sort who goes and removes games after a couple of months if I'm not actively playing it. I expect a lot of this from most devs with large games tbh. I have a dozen games on Steam I don't play much getting hefty updates I don't notice I'm sure. I haven't started Dota since The International, I should probably uninstall that. ;p

CLEEK

There's a world of difference between optionally downloading free games (on a service you have optionally signed up for, and knowing the size of games you'll be downloading) to a mandatory patch of a game you might well have bought at retail.

Next gen or not, 13GB is insane. Nearly 3 DVDs worth of data. Unless they have redone a significant chunk of the game's art assets, I have no idea how it could be that big.

Mikey Jr.

What are you talking about?

PSN+ games are optional downloads.

This is a forced patch for a game that adds DLC, whether you have it or not.

You don't see the difference?

StarWarsNoMoon.jpg

That's no update . . . It's a full game!

Crazy though. I wonder if someone hit the wrong button and deployed the entire game data instead of just an update.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Unless this is a huge HD texture pack+graphical upgrade, which the game sorely needs, this is insane.

hawk2025

I'm at 95% but I don't understand why someone with a cap on their data would have automatic downloads allowed in the 1st place.

Someone with a cap on their data is also likely to have a slower internet connection. It would be a pretty terrible experience to have to wait hours on end before you could play any time you want to play a game and a patch is available.

That would be so wrong. Forcing you to download everything you will probably never need and buy? Which maniac would allow this?

It's been done with a few games before, but mostly for online play games where content parity is important, or really old games like Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds.
I don't recall seeing it in a while, actually.

haha, you can't even fit that on a standard 360 HDD.

Can't believe they're gonna force everyone to download this so they can stealth release the DLC that's clearly encoded within. Typical Capcom.

mobius006

There's a world of difference between optionally downloading free games (on a service you have optionally signed up for, and knowing the size of games you'll be downloading) to a mandatory patch of a game you might well have bought at retail.

Next gen or not, 13GB is insane. Nearly 3 DVDs worth of data. Unless they have redone a significant chunk of the game's art assets, I have no idea how it could be that big.
Ummm more like 1.5 DVDs but whos counting... ;)

Silky

Banned
Someone with a cap on their data is also likely to have a slower internet connection. It would be a pretty terrible experience to have to wait hours on end before you could play any time you want to play a game and a patch is available.

I have a pretty speedy connection I would consider (~70mbps) and I have a 300GB bandwith cap because comcast hates the south for some odd reason.

lmao

Shin-Ra

Why would you live there?

This is truly master tier. *tear*

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
One thing I really appreciate about PS4 is that every software / title update I've downloaded has some notes attached to it letting me know what has changed. It's so good.

PS3 could do it in later years, just no one used it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, went to start the update/install and it was already completed on my Bone, just installing it now. That's neat it did it before I even launched the game. Wonder when the update dropped in earnest?

nib95

Banned

Just so you realise, the file sizes for those "free" games on PS4…

Contrast – 2.3GB
Flower – 1.8GB
War Thunder - 5.8GB
Resogun – 460.8MB
Warframe – 4.2GB

Dead Rising 3 Update - 13GB

Yea….

hawk2025

Well, went to start the update/install and it was already completed on my Bone, just installing it now. That's neat it did it before I even launched the game. Wonder when the update dropped in earnest?

The Xbox One says "Installing" even when it's actually downloading something.

_hekk05

Banned
Code:
System changes

- System stability has been improved.

Didn't DR3 have a hefty, several GB sized day one patch as well?

Is that all the patch does? 13 Gigs is way too much for just stability improvements.
Maybe they included an upscaler and fixed the horrendous crushed blacks.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy crap. I think the biggest single file I've ever downloaded was around 7GB. This would take me nearly 5 hours on my connection.

For those using Auto-on for automatic update installs, you should check your download total for the last two months. A friend of mine was over 100 GB only two weeks into January.

CLEEK

The information option in Vita game bubbles show you the cumulative patch notes as well. Lovely feature. Patch notes should be mandatory for all software updates, regardless of platform.

Is that all the patch does? 13 Gigs is way too much for just stability improvements.
Maybe they included an upscaler and fixed the horrendous crushed blacks.

I was joking. That was a common patch note for sizeable PS3 firmware updates.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Xbox One says "Installing" even when it's actually downloading something.

I know, it started at 99% installing then was done. I'd like to look and see but I'm sure it's just DLC content, no new textures and whatnot, I'm sure.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The information option in Vita game bubbles show you the cumulative patch notes as well. Lovely feature. Patch notes should be mandatory for all software updates, regardless of platform.

I was joking. That was a common patch note for sizeable PS3 firmware updates.
PS4 does this as well. It's really nice as long as the devs actually write something more than "Improved Stability"

Top Bottom