• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

nib95

Banned
Please tell me you're more intelligent than that...

...please.

Seems a lot of people here don't download a lot of PC games. 13GB....ok...shrug.

Entire games are a bit different from updates. But yea, one of my most frustrating Steam experiences ever was with Witcher 2, where each update was basically the whole game size again. Idiotic. I'm glad they've sorted that out now.

Truespeed

Just so you realise, the file sizes for those "free" games on PS4…

Contrast – 2.3GB
Flower – 1.8GB
War Thunder - 5.8GB
Resogun – 460.8MB
Warframe – 4.2GB

Dead Rising 3 Update - 13GB

Yea….

Wow, Resogun is crazy small. They must have taken inspiration from those European procedural demo's that are mere MB's in size :)

G_Berry

Banned
I had to "install" forza again to play it on the weekend for some reason (disk based version). Turns out installing means downloading like 30 gigs. Mad.

Looks like ill have to wait till next month now to play dead rising. Yay.

In future, games that need these massive updates are simply being traded in.

_hekk05

Banned
Please tell me you're more intelligent than that...

...please.

Seems a lot of people here don't download a lot of PC games. 13GB....ok...shrug.

I don't think many PC games have 13 gigs of patches. For the entire game, maybe. Probably even more than that. But for a PATCH??

Edit: And not even DLC too.

NeOak

It's really weird how all Xbox owners seem to have crappy internet connections, but PlayStation owners have the best connections going.

Big patches appear for Xbox games "oh my god, what are they thinking. There goes my monthly cap..etc etc"

PSN+ has free games every month (some of which are huge) "PS+ is the best service ever, I love it"

Bandwidth and game download sizes never seem to get bitched about in the PSN thread.

Dat drive-by fail troll.

The size is insane for a mandatory update.

shandy706

13GB for a patch is huge, even in PC land.

Not in a world of filled Blu-ray discs it's not.

Also, I've downloaded some massive HD texture packs. I expected huge patches this gen. It's a given as games get massive beyond last gen.

Time to let the last gen mentality go. We're going to see some big patches folks.

shandy706

Honey, I WISH this was a 13GB HD texture pack :p

Lol, that would be nice. It is Capcom.

What PC games are spitting out 13GB patches?

How often do you pay attention to the background updates of your Steam library? I've seen some big ones. I already pointed out HD texture packs too.

I'm not saying it was the norm, I'm just saying we're moving towards bigger ones. It's why I'm not even slightly surprised.

Can you name one PC game patch that is more than 13GB? Seriously.

Not my point..seriously. 30 - 50GB installs seem to be headed our way. I've seen plenty of 1-3GB patches on last gen games that were pretty small (DVD size)...nowhere near 30-50GB.

I'm curious as to why we suddenly expect things to not increase (even if it's an expansion or patch)?

Id just cut off the console from the internet. Unless its a update to a game breaking bug, I will never download a 13gb patch.

Even the larger PS3 ones, I just pressed cancel and continued playing. Fuck that shit.

Aaron

I don't think many PC games have 13 gigs of patches. For the entire game, maybe. Probably even more than that. But for a PATCH??

Edit: And not even DLC too.
The vast majority of PC games don't come close to 13gig. Even the AAA titles are usually 4-8 tops.

Also, I've downloaded some massive HD texture packs. I expected huge patches this gen. It's a given as games get massive beyond last gen.

Time to let the last gen mentality go. We're going to see some big patches folks.
Can you name one PC game patch that is more than 13GB? Seriously.

DanielJr82

Are they replacing the whole game with that update or something? That's going to take me a while to download... on my day off too. Fucking A.

nib95

Banned

This is Dead Rising 3 we're talking about. It's one of the most last gen looking games out for next gen….

I had to "install" forza again to play it on the weekend for some reason (disk based version). Turns out installing means downloading like 30 gigs. Mad.

Looks like ill have to wait till next month now to play dead rising. Yay.

In future, games that need these massive updates are simply being traded in.

i seen some video floating around with someone who was complaining about this. he noticed the disc install taking way more time then it should shave and that the router was going crazy. he pulled the ethernet on his XB1 and noticed that the game started to actually install from the disc. this sounds like the same thing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is this Mandatory?

Its not Mandatory right

It's so mandatory that it boots you out of the game to download it.

yeah, i *almost* made a thread about this. i was playing the game, went to the map screen, and was prompted to download the update after being on the screen for about a minute.

the crazy thing is there was no way for me to continue playing without downloading the patch. now, i'm waiting for it to install and i have a good feeling that all of my progress since the last auto-save will be lost once this is done... get your shit together, microsoft!

Lol, that would be nice. It is Capcom.

How often do you pay attention to the background updates of your Steam library? I've seen some big ones. I already pointed out HD texture packs too.

I'm not saying it was the norm, I'm just saying we're moving towards bigger ones. It's why I'm not even slightly surprised.

Well those are on 360 too, BF and Blacklist have them. But they're optional.

If you don't download this, you can't connect to Live when playing the game.

MrBS

This is on top of the 5GB update the other day? We are at the point the updates almost eclipse the size of the game in it's original state. Incredible.

Better start that download when I get home ><

louiedog

The vast majority of PC games don't come close to 13gig. Even the AAA titles are usually 4-8 tops.

Yep. Most games in double digit GB likely have a lot of FMV and if a game has to redownload them as part of a patch someone goofed up the way it's packaged.

I remember downloading Indie Game the Movie from Steam and 20 minutes later having to redownload that entire HD video because they just pushed out a new version with the credits edited. It's one file so there wasn't really another option.

hawk2025

Ouch. I still need to open and play the game, so backed up :( . Is there an intital download install update also for me waiting?

Ha , I so remember that :/

The Xbox One puts everything together in the initial install.

It's going to be a long, long wait for you. I suggest doing it overnight at some point, pop the disc in and leave it there.

Stupid Microsoft publishing these obscenely large patches. Don't they know they can use diff files like Microsoft uses on 360? But, no, they have to be Microsoft and make everyone suffer through these idiotically large patches filled with crap they may not want.

VanWinkle

5 years ago this would have been insane. I remember 1GB PS3 and 360 demos taking FOREVER to download on my 6mbps connection. That was the fastest speed available at the time. I remember downloading the demo for "The Darkness" and it took about 9 hours.

Luckily I get 105mbps with the same cable connection now.

5 years ago? 5 seconds ago this would have been insane.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
i seen some video floating around with someone who was complaining about this. he noticed the disc install taking way more time then it should shave and that the router was going crazy. he pulled the ethernet on his XB1 and noticed that the game started to actually install from the disc. this sounds like the same thing.
Wait...so when you put a disk in it downloads the game from the store instead of installing the disk version? Presumably to get the latest version of the game I guess?

Also there's no way to cancel the update and just play the game?

Truespeed

They're gonna have to do something for folks unlucky enough to have caps.

That's where sponsored downloads come in. The data isn't charged against your monthly cap providing you let them stream Mountain Dew flavored Doritos commercials while downloading.

shaowebb

13gb!?!
KVlBS8d.png

Mooreberg

They are giving DICE some horrible ideas right now.

At that size, I'd hope subsequent pressings of the game disc included the update. 500GB is going to be the new 20GB.

Top Bottom