• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

Amir0x

Banned
I have posted it a few times, a few pages back.
It's a compatibility patch that includes the Episode 1 of the season pass DLC which is released tomorrow.
Has new story and character, new weapons, new vehicles and new costumes.

Oh thank you, sorry you had to repeat yourself. Makes sense, although weird everyone apparently has to download it :p

jorma

is now taking requests
I'm assuming no... only because the content remains locked unless you purchase it.

So my argument is that the content is delivered and thus the consumers "to use, deal with, or dispose of the goods as if they were an unconditional gift to him"

Sort of like delivering a locked box filled with potatoes and storing it in my basement just in case i want to buy the padlock key in order to unlock the content.
IRL i can clearly break the lock and eat those yummy potatoes because they were gifted to me according to the law.

Oh well. :)

Paz

Hrm. So this leads me to a question - if this is indeed DLC, wouldn't it be considered "unsolicited goods", and thus already legally owned by the recipient? At least in UK and other EU countries with similar legislation?

Does this apply to all on-disc dlc as well?

The practice of making all users download the DLC even if they don't own it is a common one, that way everyone has the same version of the game even if some content is gated. Of course those DLC patches being 13GB have not been the standard :p

Since nobody know what's included in this thing it's mostly a moot discussion, I really hope they justify such an insanely large amount of patches though (16GB in total?) because data caps are still a very real thing for most of the world.

Oh thank you, sorry you had to repeat yourself. Makes sense, although weird everyone apparently has to download it :p

I don't mind repeating it, things go fast on GAF.
I suppose it's the other side of the coin, imagine you paid $30 for dlc pack and then found out you couldn't play online with anyone, even your friends all because they didn't buy it.
I suppose they could fragment the community with people who own it and not but that would ruin the matchmaking they have in place.

While I can't imagine any plausible explanation for using 13GB for an update than a horribly ineffective structure of the application or some really fundamental problem that requires a clean sweep, I do find it hilarious that people in a gaming forum on the internet are worried that 13GB kills their download cap.

We already had this conversation about next-gen consoles and their reliance on internet, someone from MS got fired even, do we have to have it again?

Brashnir

You think Microsoft would have figured out incremental patching by now, so you don't have to download the whole f'in game every time. Reminds me of PS3 system updates.. lol.

Do they even release patch notes for things like this?

The did figure it out, in like 2005. Then Xbox One came along along and they just said, "fuck it."

jorma

is now taking requests
Does this apply to all on-disc dlc as well?

There's a case for that too i guess, but it's not really an unsolicited good since you did buy the disc.

The practice of making all users download the DLC even if they don't own it is a common one, that way everyone has the same version of the game even if some content is gated. Of course those DLC patches being 13GB have not been the standard :p

Shouldn't really matter since all of the exceptions are clearly stated in the law. I guess it could end up an exception if someone managed to unlock the DLC without paying for it and it became a lawsuit. Or if someone with too miuch spare time tried to sue for the key :)

Gwanatu T

Did anyone check to see if it fixed the sharpening filter?

It doesn't seem like it to me, the trees still look terrible against the sky. It looks like the zombies you kill in an area are more persistent though, I don't remember this happening before:
qbcdt.jpg

I haven't played the game in 2 days, and that's apparently what I killed last time right outside of the garage. I'll keep playing and see what I can find.

Dead Man

While I can't imagine any plausible explanation for using 13GB for an update than a horribly ineffective structure of the application or some really fundamental problem that requires a clean sweep, I do find it hilarious that people in a gaming forum on the internet are worried that 13GB kills their download cap.

So, you don't understand how most of the world works, do you?

Camilos

Banned
13GB! Do they not realize that we Canadians have internet speeds and bandwidth limits that are still stuck in 1998.

Caayn

Maybe the update is 13GB only if you haven't retrieved the previous patch already ? That would fit with 6GB ~= 50% of 13GB.
As far as I know the progress that's already made directly after you agree with the download is the current install of the game.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
maybe they're updating the game to 1080p and the patch is so big because of all the extra pixels they had to add to the screen

flkraven

What the shit? This generation is going to fuck my bandwith cap. Can someone at Microsoft or Sony talk with with Canadian ISPs?

Jacobi

Banned
Eh, sounds pretty bad that the DLC wastes 13 GB on your HDD even if you don't buy it... I hope this doesn't become too common, or HDD's will get full too soon

wrog

I downloaded this patch hoping it will fix my glitched blueprints (never got carts & beer hat for upgrading Smarts) but I'm still stuck at 96...

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
If the update is so big because of possible assets being replaced, does the 13GB add to the current size of DR3, or are they less than the sum of their parts?

Son Of D

Is it possible that the patch downloads the content to your system, and when you actually "purchase" the DLC through the store, it's merely an unlock key?

A fair few games do that. LBP does that with the costumes and level packs. Playstation All Stars did that with the character, costume and level packs. I think someone here mentioned that Battlefield does that as well.

With multiplayer game DLC, it's usually already on the disc (like what Capcom did with Street Fighter, MvC3 and SFxT) or comes in a mandatory patch. Soul Calibur 5 and MK9 had compatibility packs to download I believe, which messed things up if someone didn't get them.

SoyTits

Banned
God damn, this is some bullshit.

Going to leave my Xbox disconnected from the network when I'm not using it from now on.

Holy shit. How long does it take to download and install?

At least its fixing a whole bunch of stuff, right?
It is fixing a whole bunch of stuff, right?

Top Bottom