• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 minutes of Gears 5 horde escape gameplay

ruvikx

Banned
I'm pretty sure even before Gears 4 came out people were already saying the formula was tired. Then it released and yea.... it was tired.

So... now they are just doing it again. Do you want this series released annually with a roster update? Is that your idea of a sequel?

They haven't attempted anything resembling a refinement of mechanics, advancing their animation system, or seemingly trying anything you could call new. People are down on this because it looks like just another weekend update to Gears 4. The only "new" mechanic is continuous melee swings which looked pretty damn bad the way it was implemented. Thats about as exciting as the slide kick over cover mechanic from Gears 4. Shits weak, try harder Coalition.

Things like:
Add destructible and dynamic cover. Destructible environments period.
Drop roadie running. Its kind of dumb in concept and in balancing what should be bad in this game (running cover to cover). Make players run upright when they decide to be so bold.
Try some new movement and dodge options besides just the roll.
The game should refocus to be about positioning in cover and go back to basics.
Less spam weapons. Each release adds more shit.
Finally.... kill wall bouncing and having your ass gravitate to walls from 5+ feet away. Require player input into general direction to continue into cover once pressed.

Back in my Xbox 360 version of the very first Gears of War game, there was a short note packaged with the game written by Cliff Bleszinski himself in which he outlined the "how, why & when" of the game's design choices & development. He focused specifically on how his team from the offset wanted to pioneer a new cover system unseen at the time in order to create tactical shootouts against the AI. They were creating a war game, basically.

Fast forward nearly 15 years later & the cover system has never changed (sliding to a position yards away) neither has the actual "feel" of the game (or shootouts). It's just "refined" & prettier now. Whilst some decisions such as Gears 4's robot enemies & overuse of turret defence sections against enemy waves are actually worse than anything in the first 2 games. That's just regarding the single player content (& arguably the narrative is way worse now because it added convolutedness to the already nonsensical plot & lost its charming characters as well, i.e. self-aware stereotypes like the original cast have been slowly replaced by literal boring stereotypes.

People making Gears of War need to go back to basics & realize this is a science fiction video game interpretation of warfare. Past, present & future. They need to pull their thumbs out of their butts & give us interactive & destructible environments (not just weaker structural points or conveniently placed explosives either), smarter enemies & a far more dynamic battlefield. That would be an evolution of the franchise in a natural direction based upon its initial premise. I want enemies who respond to player tactics & I want shootouts which evolve in different ways & never really play the same way twice.

Gaf is becoming the old gaf rapdily. Hopefully after e3 it'll clear out from haters.

If people who don't swallow a corporation's marketing & hype without question or ask for something better are labelled "haters", there's something wrong with the market.

pr0cs

I have no interest in Gears gameplay, story, premise, IP.
Thanks, not really sure why you are in this thread then
e26.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Back in my Xbox 360 version of the very first Gears of War game, there was a short note packaged with the game written by Cliff Bleszinski himself in which he outlined the "how, why & when" of the game's design choices & development. He focused specifically on how his team from the offset wanted to pioneer a new cover system unseen at the time in order to create tactical shootouts against the AI. They were creating a war game, basically.

Fast forward nearly 15 years later & the cover system has never changed (sliding to a position yards away) neither has the actual "feel" of the game (or shootouts). It's just "refined" & prettier now. Whilst some decisions such as Gears 4's robot enemies & overuse of turret defence sections against enemy waves are actually worse than anything in the first 2 games. That's just regarding the single player content (& arguably the narrative is way worse now because it added convolutedness to the already nonsensical plot & lost its charming characters as well, i.e. self-aware stereotypes like the original cast have been slowly replaced by literal boring stereotypes.

People making Gears of War need to go back to basics & realize this is a science fiction video game interpretation of warfare. Past, present & future. They need to pull their thumbs out of their butts & give us interactive & destructible environments (not just weaker structural points or conveniently placed explosives either), smarter enemies & a far more dynamic battlefield. That would be an evolution of the franchise in a natural direction based upon its initial premise. I want enemies who respond to player tactics & I want shootouts which evolve in different ways & never really play the same way twice.

If people who don't swallow a corporation's marketing & hype without question or ask for something better are labelled "haters", there's something wrong with the market.

Right because gaf isn't notorious for labeling things as garbage before they even have a chance to come out.

Switch was DOA!!!
Doom 2016 looks like shit!
Xbox one X LITERALLY CAN'T HIT 4K IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!

ruvikx

Banned
Right because gaf isn't notorious for labeling things as garbage before they even have a chance to come out.

Switch was DOA!!!
Doom 2016 looks like shit!
Xbox one X LITERALLY CAN'T HIT 4K IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!

GAF 2016 was a different GAF (whiny SJW's). It's not comparable.

In 2019 we've seen a whole load of less-than-impressive AAA releases over recent years which were hyped by the media & industry during E3. Gears 4 was itself not at all memorable, so it's pretty easy to see "why" Gears 5 doesn't elicit total enthusiasm.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
GAF 2016 was a different GAF (whiny SJW's). It's not comparable.

In 2019 we've seen a whole load of less-than-impressive AAA releases over recent years which were hyped by the media & industry during E3. Gears 4 was itself not at all memorable, so it's pretty easy to see "why" Gears 5 doesn't elicit total enthusiasm.

Gears 4 was divisive on the campaign front but fans of the series had nothing but good things to say about the multiplayer and horde. It was quite memoriable in those regards.

pr0cs

Gears 4 was divisive on the campaign front but fans of the series had nothing but good things to say about the multiplayer and horde. It was quite memoriable in those regards.
The campaign wasn't bad but the first quarter was meh because many of the enemies were dull. It picks up for the latter half but hurt again by the abrupt and too easy ending.
Horde mode was easily the best part of the game and worth the price of entry , especially if you have regular gaming friends. My competitive gaming skills are pretty much shit so coop mode in any game is going to be something I'm interested in.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Sydnee Goodman is a delight :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Game looks good to me too.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Good to see you back here again mate

No it isn’t. It’s just the same consistent people that shits on anything Xbox in every Xbox related thread. Ignore it, not worth the time anyways
Can I get a cheat sheet of who to block lol.

Shmunter

I think the elephant in the room is the original Gears Of War, and the conundrum of how do you improve on perfection.

Altering things seems to be change for changes sakes, not improvements.

Seemingly the studio responsible doesn’t have the talent and vision to show us something that we haven’t thought off yet, and therefore are stuck in a perpetual cycle of mediocrity.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The campaign wasn't bad but the first quarter was meh because many of the enemies were dull. It picks up for the latter half but hurt again by the abrupt and too easy ending.
Horde mode was easily the best part of the game and worth the price of entry , especially if you have regular gaming friends. My competitive gaming skills are pretty much shit so coop mode in any game is going to be something I'm interested in.

Campaign was definitely in the weaker part of the series.

pr0cs

Campaign was definitely in the weaker part of the series.
They were always going to have a difficult time with restarting the series gears 3 finished with much of the storylines wrapped up. The books the same way so their reboot was always going to feel premature.
Personally I thinkthey should have gone a different direction with more human on human, stranded vs cog with the occasion lambent/grub thrown in to keep things fresh.
I didn't hate the story or characters in gears4 but much of it felt off because how nicely 3 finished.

Yeah that's pretty disappointing.
I realised I was burnt out on Gears half way through 4. I was hoping that 5 would pull me back in but it def won't based on this gameplay.
Most changes they have done are in campaign. Multiplayer they play safe mostly.

Also do u want them to change third person view to first person.? What else they can do?. If they change too much then you lose hardcore and if you don't then arm chair game designers on forums jump in and start crapping the game by saying, "oh nothing new in game".

Do u have ideas that make Gears completely fresh? They already making it semi open world with some rpg elements in campaign.

Haters of the series will continue to hate no matter what they do.

Uncharted 4 did literally nothing except making levels open and adding rope to swing around. Rest everything was same with prettier graphics. But Gears goes under strict scrutiny for being a Xbox game lol. You all bunch of hypocrite who just hate Gears and who will also not gonna play it in FIrst place or maybe you will through Game Pass just to shit on it.

Last edited:
Looks awesome to me. What are people expecting? It looks like Gears. :messenger_confused:
It's getting hate for being a Xbox tittle.

ND did literally nothing new UC series except making levels larger and prettier but no one complaints. They defend it by saying but story so good nd all forgetting the fact gameplay comes first and what new they did in gameplay except refining and making world prettier.

Gears has set formula which is loved by fans especially in multiplayer. Changing it is risky.

Campaign is where changes will happen.

ruvikx

Banned
I think the elephant in the room is the original Gears Of War, and the conundrum of how do you improve on perfection.

Shooters (whether first or first person) have been repeating the exact same formula for over a decade. Same AI, same cover systems, same everything to varying degrees of "samey". The question should always be "how do we put warfare in a game format?". The answers to that question can & should take the developers to places which make the original Gears look far from perfect.

Give me war against locusts in a brutal, tactical & exciting way. If I see footage of cringe wannabe hipster characters wisecracking whilst sliding from cover to cover & fighting the exact same shootouts as Gears 1 in prettier environments, I switch off.

Uncharted 4 did literally nothing except making levels open and adding rope to swing around. Rest everything was same with prettier graphics. But Gears goes under strict scrutiny for being a Xbox game lol. You all bunch of hypocrite who just hate Gears and who will also not gonna play it in FIrst place or maybe you will through Game Pass just to shit on it.

Uncharted 4 gets loads of hate, at least far more than the ps3 titles certainly. FYI the main reason I'd consider it a bad Uncharted is because of the overly long slow sections where nothing happens. It did do some stuff right though, such as the stealth where Drake could enter into combat, flee & resume stealthy killing again in the same set piece.

The first 3 didn't have that. So that was at least new & more dynamic as far as the combat was concerned. It's problems were elsewhere.

DanielsM

Banned
I could see it going one of two ways: 1.) keep it pretty traditional or 2.) start a major overhaul of what GoW is as far as game mechanics

I think the problem with this is nothing really looks good other than the image quality is nice. The game play looks boring, the game mode real bad to me, the character design continues to go down the crapper, some of the weapon designs are even bad, the enemies don't particularly look good, but the environment is not bad though.

Give me a choice, either:

1.) GoW 5 on PS4/5

or

2.) Remasters of GoW1-3 and Judgment on PS4/5

I'll take #2.

Ravi_elite

Banned
As much as I agree with the fact that this "Escape" gameplay is generic as hell and looks pretty much like Gears 4.5 and even though we have yet to see the competitive multiplayer itself...reading through these comments really makes me think that almost none of you here truly know what makes gears "gears"... The lot of you saying " this is just gears over and over again"...the first gears of war was " center screen shooting" with also the "backpacking" mechanic as after gears 1 they switched it to "out of the Barrell" shooting.... It was brought back in judgement... And again taken out in GEARS UE... The movement compared to gears 1 , 2 , and judgement and UE compared to Gears 4 are completely different and if anything was a de-evolution of it's mechanics...so for anyone here to state "this is just basic gears" ..you really might want to research the differences in all of the gears of wars first... Gears1 ftw... Gears UE died extremely fast due to the drastic changes compared to it's original counterpart

Riven326

Banned
Yeah, i can't get over the fact that gears 5 looks like gears 1 with better graphics...
Same animation. Same shooting, same enemy reaction, etc.

I sincerely hope that the campaign can change my mind but i have almost no trust in this...
It looks exactly the same. It's been 13 years and they haven't even bothered to improve the animations or add any kind of vertical gameplay to change things up. Even Tomb Raider is more exciting than this. At least that game uses modern animations and there's some variety to it's gameplay loop. What we have with Gears 5 is thirteen year old animations and mechanics, but with modern graphics. It's an odd assortment.

pr0cs

What we have with Gears 5 is thirteen year old animations and mechanics, but with modern graphics. It's an odd assortment.
Well to be fair we haven't actually played it yet. Gears4 though has improved the enemy AI significantly. Playing horde on the hardest difficulty is REALLY hard ,the ai doesn't cheat but recognizes you are at a disadvantage and totally capitalizes on it.
The base building mechanic is also a pretty big change from last gen so I'm curious why you think the game hasn't evolved.

GymWolf

Well to be fair we haven't actually played it yet. Gears4 though has improved the enemy AI significantly. Playing horde on the hardest difficulty is REALLY hard ,the ai doesn't cheat but recognizes you are at a disadvantage and totally capitalizes on it.
The base building mechanic is also a pretty big change from last gen so I'm curious why you think the game hasn't evolved.
The difference from gow1 to gow4 are less than the difference between unchy 3 and unchy 4 in terms of shooting feeling, animation, enemy reaction, ia etc, and i'm not even a fan of uncharted saga...

Also I'm mostly talking about the campaign here.

cryptoadam

Banned
People were complaining about the MS Event not having gameplay when literally not 2 hours later we get this.

Would you guys have preferred sitting through this during the conference?

Of course not, but they could do something like Luigi's Mansion 3 during the Direct. That was like what 90-120 seconds and it showed actual gameplay, explained new moves, showed off online, and the levels.

Same with what Nintendo did with Astral Chain, which was all in game footage, explained the story a bit and showed a ton of actual gameplay, in the game not faked etc...

They don't need boring on stage demos, but have the trailers be in game footage showing the game being played, showing off levels/new gameplay elements. You can do that in a 90 second trailer.

pr0cs

The difference from gow1 to gow4 are less than the difference between unchy 3 and unchy 4 in terms of shooting feeling, animation, enemy reaction, ia etc, and i'm not even a fan of uncharted saga...

Well uc1 was really weak when we talk about enemy combat,it had a long way to go to get to a point where the combat was good, I still don't think they were that good in uc4 either but then the verticality and character ability to hide made their job significantly harder than gears.
Either way if we are comparing it should be between versions of the same ip. In that regard gears hasn't evolved much , I'm not sure it needed to. Personally as I mentioned before they should have put more enemy types in, humanoid in the campaign. They have more data than we do in regards to player favorites so clearly they thought the grubs were still worth including as the main enemies.

Last edited:

manfestival

Finished Gears 4 yesterday. It was my first Gears game. I was really unimpressed but the game sure had some really nice looking environments. The game felt antiquated. The multiplayer seems pretty active though. I haven't touched horde mode simply because it states that I should save like 45-2 hours of time aside for a game...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
They were always going to have a difficult time with restarting the series gears 3 finished with much of the storylines wrapped up. The books the same way so their reboot was always going to feel premature.
Personally I thinkthey should have gone a different direction with more human on human, stranded vs cog with the occasion lambent/grub thrown in to keep things fresh.
I didn't hate the story or characters in gears4 but much of it felt off because how nicely 3 finished.

I didn't like the idea of new people either and the end came way too quick but I like tease they gave. I'm interested to see where it goes for sure.

I think it looks ok. Maybe not for me but since Gears 2 we gamers have drowned in riches of games that mimic Gears.

GMes like Mass Effect 2+ feel like Gears++.

So when I played Gears 4 I was hoping the narrative would engage me like the trailer did. It looked like it was going back to a bit of horror.

But it didn’t really. It was clinical and mechanical... with lots of robots to boot.

I want to see more SP. I want to believe. I loved Gears 1 and 2. Coop was spectacular. Story was fresh.

Make me believe MS. Don’t give me a reason to casually play on game pass.

You dunno what u talking about. Have you even played Gears 4?

Gears 4 animation and shooting vastly improved. Core is same but feel of movement and gunplay is vastly improved while looking and sounding similar to original.

GymWolf

You dunno what u talking about. Have you even played Gears 4?

Gears 4 animation and shooting vastly improved. Core is same but feel of movement and gunplay is vastly improved while looking and sounding similar to original.
i completed the game some months ago on pc, and while the game is a joy to play because the core is good, i don't really feel large differences with previous gears games, yeah some small adjustements here and there but nothing really new in term of feeling.
the 60 frames were the biggest difference.

i stand my point, in term of gunplay, movements, animation, ragdoll, enemy reaction etc. u4 is a biggest jump from u3 compared to gears old gen vs gears new gen.

and it's not like i'm the only one who think this, it's actually a well knowed critics to the game...

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

All Gears games are on Gamepass.
YOu dont even need to go as far back as Gears 1 to feel the differences.
Get Gears 3 and Gears 4.
Play abit of Gears 3 and then play Gears 4.
You will clearly feel maybe not see....but def feel the improvements in fluidity between the games.

I got one of my buddies who isnt a Gears fan to do the Gears marathon with me over the weekend.
And he was blown away by the improvement between Gears 3 and Gears 4.....everyone who says the differences are minor either played Gears 3 a long time ago or just doesnt know what they are talking about.

Its a very easy test to do since Gamepass is only 1 dollar.
If you dont have an Xbox im sure youve got atleast one friend with an Xbox, gift them a dollar and do the test for yourself.

i completed the game some months ago on pc, and while the game is a joy to play because the core is good, i don't really feel large differences with previous gears games, yeah some small adjustements here and there but nothing really new in term of feeling.
the 60 frames were the biggest difference.

i stand my point, in term of gunplay, movements, animation, ragdoll, enemy reaction etc. u4 is a biggest jump from u3 compared to gears old gen vs gears new gen.

and it's not like i'm the only one who think this, it's actually a well knowed critics to the game...

Your wrong but believe what you want to believe.

Entire animation frame work was new in Gears 4 as it was using completely new engine compared to og Gears.

UC4 was using upgraded UC3 engine.

Wimbledon

I have no interest in Gears gameplay, story, premise, IP.

Same

Played gears 1 , rented gears 2 really only enjoyed when i played with my dad in it. But was never invested in the story, and game play. The world of gears is dull too me, but i did enjoy the co-op in campaign with my dad it was hella fun.

But i was way more interested in what Black tusk (now the collition) was working on before they got gears forced on them. It was like spy espionage game or something.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Same

Played gears 1 , rented gears 2 really only enjoyed when i played with my dad in it. But was never invested in the story, and game play. The world of gears is dull too me, but i did enjoy the co-op in campaign with my dad it was hella fun.

But i was way more interested in what Black tusk (now the collition) was working on before they got gears forced on them. It was like spy espionage game or something.

Except they weren't forced to make gears.

I used to live near The Coalition years ago before moving out of the country and emailed them about an opportunity to playtest GW4 but they didn't reply back.

So fuck them. Shitty low-tier generic AAA studio.

Mista

Banned
Finished Gears 4 yesterday. It was my first Gears game. I was really unimpressed but the game sure had some really nice looking environments. The game felt antiquated. The multiplayer seems pretty active though. I haven't touched horde mode simply because it states that I should save like 45-2 hours of time aside for a game...
Well, you gotta play the trilogy now

xool

Ugh - red icons over enemies are an eyesore, distract from graphics.

Looks kind of sparse too - maybe it feels edgier/nervy when played ..

They haven't attempted anything resembling a refinement of mechanics, advancing their animation system, or seemingly trying anything you could call new.
They need to pull their thumbs out of their butts & give us interactive & destructible environments (not just weaker structural points or conveniently placed explosives either), smarter enemies & a far more dynamic battlefield.
They call it Game Pass because it justifies fans giving disappointing games a pass.

One explanation is to straight up blame gamepass - don't expect AAA + innovation when your game goes out on release for $1 a month .. [devs : "why even bother"]

Aside from improved graphics, this looks like Gears of War from 2006. Very disappointing indeed

One of the feels of XONE this gen is the games feel like 360 games with the piss filter removed/acchieve over 600p upscaled et .. Crackdown3 I'm looking at you.

XBOXTWO just needs to be better on first party software.

I think the elephant in the room is the original Gears Of War, and the conundrum of how do you improve on perfection

The other side of the coin - aka the DynastyWarriors3 problem. I actually think this is the answer - just keep making derivative content .. if you wan't evolution, play Titanfall etc ..

Last edited:
Top Bottom