• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 Minutes of The Medium Gameplay

Fredrik

Shame on you.
Jelly all the way

qPxmb1p.gif
Lol I could’ve posted this gif as a reply to what body types gaming is missing - jiggle booty 😁 Start doing the research asap Team Ninja! 🧐

Where has it been announced by Blooper Team to be a timed exclusive?

They don't need to announce it. It's another "console launch exclusive" that will end up getting a port like always

It'll get announced a few months down the line just like they did with Blair Witch

Last edited:

Fredrik

Gotcha, well you all let us know how that works out when ever it releases. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Just going by history, we’ve been through so many scenarios like this, if it’s definitely an exclusive they say so, then they aren’t talking about having no plans right now etc

This is from the developers them selves, not some blog sites. Its not 1st party so of course it could always come later but right now its not a timed exclusive. Blooper Team is one of the studios rumored to be getting aquired by Microsoft along with Asobo.

Why did you decide to make The Medium an Xbox Series console exclusive at launch? Can you divulge the length of the exclusivity window period and once that's finished, do you have plans for other platforms?

It was an outcome from our relationship with Microsoft, the hardware we needed to bring our vision to life, and also how our development process aligned with Microsoft's plans for its new generation of consoles. The bottom line is that we’re really excited to be launching The Medium as one of the first Xbox Series X|S titles.

This exact thing just happened with their last game, Blair Witch. That came out for PS4 the day their paid timed-exclusivity deal with Microsoft was up. Until that happened they pled the fifth on any questions regarding PlayStation - exactly what they're doing now.

Again, it's on GamePass, so I suggest playing it on Series S/X. But, let's not play along like this isn't planned for PS5. I'd bet they already got it underway, so it will be ready to go as soon as they contractually can.

Last edited:

Vasto

This exact thing just happened with their last game, Blair Witch. That came out for PS4 the day their paid timed-exclusivity deal with Microsoft was up. Until that happened they pled the fifth on any questions regarding PlayStation - exactly what they're doing now.

Again, it's on GamePass, so I suggest playing it on Series S/X. But, let's not play along like this isn't planned for PS5. I'd bet they already got it underway, so it will be ready to go as soon as they contractually can.

Do you have any info on the deal between Microsoft and Blooper Team?

Game looks interesting. Atmosphere and gameplay look solid to me. Animation and voice acting not so much. It's not a technical showcase for the X by any means, but it's looking like a solid, niche game. I think it's a winner, but the AA production values holds it back, in my view, of having any significant impact as a "system seller".

Dolomite

Wells shiiiit that looks amazing. Atmosphericlly speaking, that is. It's a breath of fresh air for horror. This Is It Folks! not whatever RE has become. The only thing it's missing for the American audience is an actual combat system. I could do without, but it feels like a long game terrifying of hide and seek at the same time

CamHostage

Some cool stuff here. Once it goes through the mirror, it gets genuinely creepy. It's funny that she is hiding out of sight from monsters yet is wearing a flashlight, but hey, videogames...

vMlZApH.jpg

I do hope to see Bloober in the future experiment with overlapping/blended procedural animation techniques (I think that's what it's called?) Most developers could. The character is terrified of something in a cutscene and walking real slow and cautiously, but when it switches to the player's control, she's back to jogging along in the standard walk cycle of the controller input. Advanced animation tech would allow the character to have a little bit of fear expression added into the walk (like maybe a little cautiousness in her steps and some looking around or behind her,) and probably also the walk speed would be made to correspond better with the in/out point of the cutscene then ramp up to the speed from your analog input. (That all said, I do think there's some good animation in here, particularly detail work on clothing.)

Pretty much every game developer has crummy cutscene-to-gameplay transitions so this isn't a specific issue Bloober has trouble with, but with a slow, cutscene-heavy, moody game like this, that next level of immersion with consistent character animation will be a good step up for the developer who can get that in there. And this horror genre being Bloober's interest (going all the way back to Sadness?), I hope that's something this studio is working towards.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Wow, it’s like a direct copy (don’t wanna say ‘rip off’) of Silent Hill. Right down to the dual worlds and the Maw, a.k.a. Pyramid Head.
All I have to say is ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME! Why it took someone this long (and to grow a pair of balls) to do this is beyond me.
Needless to say, yeah I’m totally looking forward to the completed game. YES!

Bankai

I like the Silent Hill-like vibe they're going for, great slow-paced puzzle/horror game!

But.. I really don't see the "power of SSD" at work here. And since the developers mentioned is, I'm surprised I can't see it in action. It's just 2x rendering half-screen (aka splitscreen). The game isn't fast-paced at all, so asset-streaming isn't the issue here. Could even be done from a regular HDD I think, unless there are way faster/more diverse scenes later in the game.
Also, lighting isn't great. The character doesn't seem to be grounded in the world. Almost like she has a "Demon Souls-esque" halo around her. like, unnatural lighting.

But again, gameplay seems solid!

sinnergy

I like the Silent Hill-like vibe they're going for, great slow-paced puzzle/horror game!

But.. I really don't see the "power of SSD" at work here. And since the developers mentioned is, I'm surprised I can't see it in action. It's just 2x rendering half-screen (aka splitscreen). The game isn't fast-paced at all, so asset-streaming isn't the issue here. Could even be done from a regular HDD I think, unless there are way faster/more diverse scenes later in the game.
Also, lighting isn't great. The character doesn't seem to be grounded in the world. Almost like she has a "Demon Souls-esque" halo around her. like, unnatural lighting.

But again, gameplay seems solid!
You can see game code ? Like in the Matrix? You must be filthy rich 🤑

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's my impression, deal with it. Don't agree? Fine as well.
It can run on a regular HDD.....on PC they said there would be some longer loading screens and new loading screens if you are playing on HDD PC.
Console HDDs would be too slow for scenes like when she goes through the mirror.
The transition from one room/world to the next was basically instantaneous maybe the game has more moments like that.

Like the outer body mechanic.....she leaves her real body in one room and goes exploring with her spirit body....and when the spirit puzzle is complete you immediately get back to where her real body is.
Interrupting the transition with loading screens would def be distracting and I can understand why the devs would say console HDDs probably not.

Top Bottom