• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 Teams now being Reported for the Overwatch League.

I made a thread a lil while back about the first 7 OWL teams being announced. In that time more teams were announced/rumoured but i couldnt be asked making a thread but now with stuff built up i thought it would be worth.

The original 7 OWL teams that were announed
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1404768&page=1

Boston: Patriots Chairman/CEO Robert Kraft

New York: Mets COO and Sterling VC co-founder Jeff Wilpon

Los Angeles: Noah Winston, CEO of Immortals, whose backers include AEG, Grizzlies owner Stephen Kaplan and Lionsgate

Miami-Orlando: Ben Spoont, CEO/co-founder of Misfits Gaming, backed by the Miami Heat
https://twitter.com/benspoont/status/885107828280655872

San Francisco: Andy Miller, chairman/founder of NRG ESports and a minority shareholder in the Sacramento Kings
https://twitter.com/NRGgg/status/885114286342799360

Shanghai: NetEase Inc., the distributor of Overwatch in China

Seoul: Kevin Chou, co-founder and former CEO of mobile game developer Kabam

Seouls Team was confirmed to have signed Lunatic Hai 2 Times Apex Champions

Next 2 more teams were officially announced

Cloud 9 London and a SECOND Los Angeles
team headed by Kroenke
http://www.espn.co.uk/esports/story...ondon-kroenkes-grab-la-overwatch-league-spots

Finally the rest are the Rumoured teams/not officially confirmed but heavily likely

Dallas Envyus
http://www.espn.co.uk/esports/story...eam-envyus-austin-dallas-overwatch-league-rep

OpTic Gaming gets the Houston Spot

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/20672817/sources-optic-obtains-owl-spot-applies-lcs

Philadelphia Comcast
http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_...ks-two-more-20-million-overwatch-league-spots

And finally

Chicago Flyquest

The 14th team is being negotiated but will likely participate

Blizzard has now recruited 13 teams, with 14 to be the total number for Season 1, according to sources. The launch of the league is set for the end of the year and will take place in Blizzard's new esports arena in Burbank, California, the developer announced last week

Just a reminder buy ins to the league have been heavily rumoured to be at $20million 😲😲😲😲
For major cities

TLDR:

m7VqYEp_d.jpg

Basically way more teams than i think any1 was expecting for the first season

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
LETS GO NYC

i would prefer something deeper like LoL or SF V but this is a good start for a big NYC eTeam

Randdalf

They must be really confident in its success, or really good at persuading these people it's the next big thing. Personally, I'm not so confident, but then again I don't doubt that they're going to market the hell out of this thing with that amount of money involved. I just don't think Overwatch is the right game for this, and there's a reason that CS:GO, Dota 2 and LoL are more popular than it beyond the money that has been invested in those games.

Mugsy

Isn't only one team in Seoul kind of odd? Most of the top teams right now in Overwatch are Korean. So would this destroy the Korean teams and split them up across the world or would the Korean teams stay separate from this new league?

Loxley

Philly Comcast? I mean...I get that Comcast are based in Philly and are funding the team - but seriously - pick a more boring name XD

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Isn't only one team in Seoul kind of odd? Most of the top teams right now in Overwatch are Korean. So would this destroy the Korean teams and split them up across the world or would the Korean teams stay separate from this new league?

LW blue is reportedly in the league, so that's one Korean team being poached by an American team.

Rest of them will be individually poached i think like effect for NV and carpe on faze.

what team has all the team fortress players? Or have they all quit already.

Misfits has Tviq
Seagulls said hes on a team but it needs to be announced before he can say anything

Theres Pine And Flow3r who were KR tf2 players that are in owl with Luxury Watch Blue

The tf2 players i know of from cursory knowledge are in ow contendors like Mangachu, Pookz, Clockwork, Numlocked

Some got dropped like Harbleu

Philly Comcast? I mean...I get that Comcast are based in Philly and are funding the team - but seriously - pick a more boring name XD

Thats not their name. None of these teams have official names yet

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Figures the Chicago team wouldn't be purchased by a chicago based sports team. All our owners are conservative fogies.

bigedole

Misfits has Tviq
Seagulls said hes on a team but it needs to be announced before he can say anything

Theres Pine And Flow3r who were KR tf2 players that are in owl with Luxury Watch Blue

The tf2 players i know of from cursory knowledge are in ow contendors like Mangachu, Pookz, Clockwork, Numlocked

Hmm, I never heard that Seagull confirmed he was on a team, only that he was trying to get back into pro shape to be on a team. Don't suppose you can link the stream he said this?

Oshimai

I'm really curious how successful this will become. OW is fun to play but I don't think it's a very interesting game to watch.

JWiLL

Banned
If we get Seagull and Surefour on the same team that would be amazing - easily two of the best to watch and they're extremely marketable both individually and as a duo.

I hope IDDQD is still on a team as well, he'd fit alongside Sinatraa if he remains on NRG as the dedicated Soldier/McCree depending on the meta.

I still expect EnvyUs to stomp through all but the Korean team though.

pizzacat

Banned
why dont they tie some type of cosmetic to the eatsports presentations they have to get more viewers

i know i would watch if a cosmetic was there waiting for me

Kysen

If its anything like contenders it will be non stop stomps. The gap between the best teams and middling ones is too large.

Heigic

I don't see how Overwatch tournament viewership is somehow going to spike to make these investments worthwhile.

Syntax

Didn't think they'd have this many teams so soon. But I'm glad their growth is exceeding my admittedly conservative expectations.

I don't see how Overwatch tournament viewership is somehow going to spike to make these investments worthwhile.

Marketing. Activision has lots of money and Blizzard has already been offering rewards in partnerships with Twitch to help increase viewership or at least increase current viewer participation. I imagine with the amounts of money involved these efforts will only ramp up.

Syf

Banned
No doubt they'll have incentives for watching. They've already given away stuff for watching their other games on twitch, and this is their biggest esports push by far.

Am I the only one that finds "competitive overwatch" extremely boring? It's fun to play and I don't have any anti-esports sentiment as a whole but I just can't get through watching it.

I got off after i heard about the branding rules.
No association with the original esports org name.

I doubt that will work for a game that is not the hottest stuff anymore in 5 or 10 years...
If you have your traditional esport brandy you can just go into the new game

NimbusD

I don't get all the different overwatch leagues. There's like 3 leagues right now and the. This is like the big leagues which are just the same teams being paid by people who have money?

How is it different from what's already happening except with artificially injecting the large amounts of money involved?

Am I the only one that finds "competitive overwatch" extremely boring? It's fun to play and I don't have any anti-esports sentiment as a whole but I just can't get through watching it.

Nope. I watch it but right now its still heavily dominated by the Dive Meta which is not fun to watch or play.

Wait whos on Dallas EnvyUS? Its not Mickie and the crew..... so any speculations? My boy Moon Moon decided to take the ESPORTS mantle.

AngryMoth

Pretty crazy they have got 14 buy ins at that price given the uncertainty of success.

16 would be a better number from a tournament perspective but 14 is a decent number of teams for season 1.

I enjoy the competitive OW scene but blizzard really needs to up their game with better spectator features before the launch of this.

Syf

Banned
Nope. I watch it but right now its still heavily dominated by the Dive Meta which is not fun to watch or play.
Yeah this is the biggest issue with it for me. Watched and liked the world cup qualifiers this year but aside from Korea every country was using pretty much the same comps every game.

IISANDERII

I just checked twitch and Overwatch viewership is underwhelming. 1/10 the viewers of Lol and it's even behind Family Feud 2010 Edition lol

NimbusD

I just checked twitch and Overwatch viewership is underwhelming. 1/10 the viewers of Lol and it's even behind Family Feud 2010 Edition lol
What country? I'm seeing OW pretty ahead of that game, and that's pretty disengenuous. It's 1 streamer that's getting all those views on that game and theres like 2 decent size streamers on right now for ow.

IISANDERII

What country? I'm seeing OW pretty ahead of that game, and that's pretty disengenuous. It's 1 streamer that's getting all those views on that game and theres like 2 decent size streamers on right now for ow.
In other words, Overwatch has double the amount of streamers than Family Feud and still has fewer viewers.

Rockk

Misfits has Tviq

Thanks. Don't care about overwatch but I enjoy seeing all the names I know. It's no surpise people like Clockwork, Numlocked and Seagull.

Harbleu getting dropped makes a lot of sense considering his personality. If he can find the right people he was a good player though.

Rizific

How did they scrape the cash for Blizzard's huge fee?

do you know who some of the owners are of these teams? besides that, i imagine theres going to be a metric ass ton of money in this and investors are eager to start getting that esports money.

Renekton

do you know who some of the owners are of these teams? besides that, i imagine theres going to be a metric ass ton of money in this and investors are eager to start getting that esports money.
Are they doing this purely for glamour? Otherwise I can't imagine the financials working out with such a high upfront fee.

Top Bottom