• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Films to See in December (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing the night before tonight. Good dinosaur next weekend. Big short weekend after that. Star wars weekend after that and reveant/hateful 8 weekend after that.

Awesome.

JTripper

Anyone know what the deal is with Star Wars reviews and when they're going up?

Internet blackout for me when that happens until I see the movie.

MUST watch:

Youth
Anomalisa
45 Years
Son of Saul
Macbeth
The Lady in the Van
The Revenant
The Hateful Eight
Joy

Holy fuck, that's a lot of movies to be excited for in one month. And I bet most of them will end up on the best of the year lists.

Not really "excited" for The Big Short nor The Heart of the Sea, but I guess I'll check them out at some point.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I want to see about half those movies.

Krampus, Hateful 8, In The Heart of the Sea, The Big Short, Star Wars, Revenant, MacBeth, Chiraq, and Saul.

star wars, chiraq, macbeth, son of saul, new kaufman, youth, revenant, hateful eight, prolly hitchcock/truffaut, heart of the sea and arabian nights too

God damn.

only watching star wars, revenant and hateful eight in theaters though.

Gila

God damn what a month!

SW TFA
The Revenant
Macbeth
Hateful Eight
And probably The Big Short (might not watch in theatres)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd like to see:

Anomalisa
The Hateful Eight
Macbeth
The Revenant

Most will have to wait until January, since I'll be away from LA over the holidays, and these aren't really movies I'd suggest to take my parents to.

I'll wait to stream Chi-Raq. I'll probably get sucked into seeing Star Wars eventually, but I just don't care anymore. The prequels ultimately sucked away all of my interest in new Star Wars stuff, much to the chagrin of my entire childhood. I don't like JJ Abrams either, so that ain't helping.

TheXbox

I was hoping to catch Hateful Eight on Christmas Day, but I don't think it even opens anywhere around my area. Stupid. Is it only showing in 70mm?

ooh, the cinephille formalist apathy towards Star Wars is strong with this one, as its been since that Top 100 Anticipated list who couldn't find a place for it among The Sea of Trees and Aloha.

Anyway

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
45 Years
The Hateful Eight
Anomalisa
The Revenant

I'm tempted to see Joy just to have an opinion about it come Oscar time, but I thought DOR's last two movies were poorly assembled garbage heaps, so eh.

No apathy here -- simply prefer to more highly recommend movies I've already seen and can verify are great. (p.s. Aloha is decent, and I haven't see The Sea of Trees yet, but even in your opinion, 98 out of 100 isn't bad!)

I am surprised to see Krampus make the list. I can't help but think that movie needs a much, much better title if they want it to have any traction.

Is trailer light on spoilers? I've only heard good things about the movie, but haven't seen any promotional materials.

I haven't watched the trailer, but Trick 'r Treat was so much fun and I can watch Adam Scott do anything for any amount of time.

Has the Weinstein Company announced where Hateful Eight is going to play in 70mm yet?

Shockingly, not yet.

Will probably see all the Arabian Nights films (I liked Tabu quite a bit but of course if the first one is a turd, why would I see the others?), Son of Saul, and the River of Fundament (opens at IFC on Friday but trying to pack all 3 acts in one week along with the first Arabian Nights Volume might be tough for me) for sure. Oh yeah, will probably see Star Wars too. Might see the Revenant, Anomalisa, 45 Years, and some others. I am still on the line for the Hateful Eight for I thought Django was a bloated turd.

I think the second film is the best in Arabian Nights. The third will test your patience, but it's a fascinating project overall.

The Hateful Eight is much more streamlined and focused than Django, and more fun overall.

Anyone know what the deal is with Star Wars reviews and when they're going up?

Internet blackout for me when that happens until I see the movie.

Supposedly some screenings will happen between the premiere and the opening, but not many. Smaller markets aren't getting any at all.

This is an amazing month! Is there a 70mm Hateful Eight list out yet? AMC Lincoln Square won't do me dirty, right?

In NYC, it's at Village East Cinema. It looked fantastic!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Star Wars, might see Krampus, Hateful Eight and Heart of the Sea as well (week off from work in December)

The further I got down the list the more excited I got that The Hateful Eight will be #1 on the list.

Tarantino is a genius, and this movie is going to be insane.

Star Wars (already got tickets for the family)

Hateful 8 if I can find a nearby theater showing it in 70mm.

Revenant, Macbeth, and The Big Short are all definite-watch movies for me, but unlikely to be something I see in theaters.

overcast

The new Kaufman is out this month?! I've been reading about that concept for years, can't believe it's here so quickly. Looks incredible.

This month is absolutely jam packed.

Star Wars
The Revenant
Macbeth
Chi-Raq
Anomalisa
Son of Saul
The Hateful Eight

Maybe even Krampus down the line for some cheesy horror. Not to mention there are many holdovers from November. I need to get going.

PillarEN

Oh wow. There are like 5 movies from your top 15 list that intrigue me.

The Revenant
Chi-Raq
The Big Short
Star Wars
The Hateful 8

Youth has already been playing for a long time where I'm at but I have considered seeing that as well.

Rootbeer

Banned
Kicking things off with Krampus tomorrow.

But I know I will see all of the top 10 pics listed eventually.

Going to a Dec 17th showing of TFA.

Dec 25th is brutal though, there are no less than four films coming out that day I want to see. Revenant will be first though. Probably double feature it with The Hateful 8

It looks like I'm allowed to say The Hateful Eight is an immense amount of fun. Tarantino's not saying much new, but he makes sure you're breathlessly glued to every word and gesture. I loved how the ultra wide aspect ratio and framing allowed for multiple performances in the corner of frames. One of many reasons to see again, which I'll certainly be doing. Aside from Samuel L. Jackson owning it, Kurt Russell and Tim Roth are MVPs. The 70mm experience, with overture and intermission, is essential viewing.

overcast

I was absolutely going to make a trip out to LA to see it in 70MM. You convinced me further Expendable, sounds good.

border

It looks like I'm allowed to say The Hateful Eight is an immense amount of fun. Tarantino's not saying much new, but he makes sure you're breathlessly glued to every word and gesture. I loved how the ultra wide aspect ratio and framing allowed for multiple performances in the corner of frames. One of many reasons to see again, which I'll certainly be doing. Aside from Samuel L. Jackson owning it, Kurt Russell and Tim Roth are MVPs. The 70mm experience, with overture and intermission, is essential viewing.

I'm guessing that there is still no complete list of theaters that will be showing it in 70mm?

I would go almost anywhere in the state of Florida to see it, but so far I think the closest announced location is Atlanta.

I'm guessing that there is still no complete list of theaters that will be showing it in 70mm?

I would go almost anywhere in the state of Florida to see it, but so far I think the closest announced location is Atlanta.

Nope :/ However, it's going to be in the top 44 markets in the US, so you can deduce from that.

Damn this month is looking good. I've been wanting to see MacBeth and The Revenant since I saw their first trailers. I'll most definitely catch the Hateful Eight at least in January. I already have tickets to Star Wars too.

Arabian Nights (Vol1) is a piece of shit.

It is also very hard to even grasp some concepts of it without being portuguese and understanding what it is actually parodying. The film will naturally fly over people's heads.

I'm interested to hear about Morricone's score, especially because he hasn't even seen the movie yet.

Anyone know if I can see Chi-Raq in a theatre in Toronto or can I sign up for an Amazon Prime membership and view it from there?

I know it's getting to at least 300 theaters here in the US, so might have a chance. Not on Amazon or Prime yet.

I'm interested to hear about Morricone's score, especially because he hasn't even seen the movie yet.

It's quite good. Very noticeable and triumphant at the beginning, then subdued until the last half, where it kicks in and becomes almost genre-esque. To be honest, I was more focused on other things in the first viewing, but look forward to revisiting to zero in on it.

The Revenant embargo is up -- a lot to like, but a bit disappointing overall. My take below:

[Review] The Revenant

After (mostly) constricting themselves to the confines of a single building in Birdman, director Alejandro González Iñárritu and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki have ventured deep into the great, savage outdoors for The Revenant. Its roots are in a classical revenge / survival story, and its unrelenting brutality swallows emotion at every turn. Yet thanks to Lubezki's idyllic touch and Leonardo DiCaprio's tenacity in enduring anything thrown at him, the film remains compelling in its grand scale and near-comical excess.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
so have you seen joy and know it's rubbish or are you just reasonably assuming that it is more trash from david o. russell?

Star Wars - already have tickets to see it on the 20th. Will need to avoid the internet for two days.

We usually also go see something on Christmas Day. I'm not sure what that will be. I thought Revenant wasn't opening until Jan 8 (maybe that's its wide release date). Not sure my teenage boys will have interest in Joy. If In the Heart of the Sea or MacBeth is still in theaters then those could be in the running.

Edit: Actually Point Break is also in the running. For a "hey it's Christmas Day and I just want to have a relaxing time not having to think too deeply about stuff and have fun" it's probably going to be a throwaway two hour movie (the first one was).

border

I saw Krampus yesterday. I thought it was a lot of fun, but definitely not a classic or anything. The designs on all the monsters are really good, there's a lot of cool moments.

It reminds me a lot of Gremlins, in that it's very much a kids' movie except for the fact that it's way too scary and intense for children. If it had some better characters and maybe 15 minutes less runtime I would rate it a lot higher.

No asian movies and especially no Korean movies who makes the best movies these days. A failed list of predictable Hollywood movies that will soon be forgotten next summer.

UberTag

so have you seen joy and know it's rubbish or are you just reasonably assuming that it is more trash from david o. russell?
No, haven't seen yet. After his last few films, losing faith though. I've heard quite bad things about this one, too.
I've been getting bad vibes from it as well. Despite being a perennial favorite in most of the end-of-year Gold Derby awards categories for a number of months, the buzz has clearly been muted and it's not showing up in any of the smaller end-of-year award circuits (even for nominations) whereas other late-release films like The Revenant and The Hateful Eight have made their expected appearances. My take from that is that it'll wind up as this year's Unbroken and open up space in the best actress, supporting actor/actress and picture categories for other films to be recognized when it fails to register.

This may be the film where Russell's smoke and mirrors fail to engage the mainstream critics. I wasn't much of a fan of American Hustle myself. (Did enjoy Silver Linings Playbook... in spite of its faults.)

That "near-comical excess" remark in your Revenant review has me concerned, Expendable. They're going to go overkill with what the trials they throw at DiCaprio in this, aren't they? Ah well... at least it'll be pretty.

The Revenant embargo is up -- a lot to like, but a bit disappointing overall. My take below:

[Review] The Revenant

"And although most other characters leave less of an impression than the bear that lacerates Glass’ throat..."

Ouch lol

Speaking of survivalist movies, have you seen Theeb? Don't know if it's out in USA, but I found it to be great. Lawrence of Arabia setting/time but told from the other side as it follows a kid through all the shit.

MJa1W37.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom