• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Films to See in November (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Abysmal?! I take it you haven't seen Moonlight, The Handmaiden, Certain Women, Cameraperson, Voyage of Time, and 13th? (Also, I didn't love American Honey, but it sure is something.)

A lot of that hasn't hit out here yet :( my local theaters art selection has been slacking. And I loved American Honey, which unfortunately, is the only real film of substance I've seen in a while.

A lot of that hasn't hit out here yet :( my local theaters art selection has been slacking. And I loved American Honey, which unfortunately, is the only real film of substance I've seen in a while.

Ah, well then I'd agree the wide releases have been mostly trash. Although I kind of liked Sully, which was even shocking to myself.

I guess the "two women vacationing at a remote location to rekindle an old friendship thriller" is a legitimate subgenre now.

Elle was pretty good, finally I movie I was able to see earlier. If Billy Lynn's Halftime Walk would have been in 120 fps here I definitely would have watched it, but now I don't think I will.

I'll most definitely be watching Arrival though. Probably Moana and Hecksaw Ridge too.

PillarEN

For sure. September and October were a joke for me. Literally almost nothing to see. Like I only saw Jack Reacher 2 because me and my sister wanted to go to the movies and I saw Anthrapoid because Cilian Murphy is a cool cat and it's local story (of course Hollywoodized but still)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Finally, a truly good month for movies. That's a first for 2016.

Interested in:

Allied (if reviews are solid)
Arrival
Elle
Loving
Moana
Nocturnal Animals

Probably Doctor Strange, Hacksaw Ridge, Manchester by the Sea, The Edge of Seventeen and a couple of others. I have five free movie tickets.

EDIT: Going to see Ouija 2 tonight.

Violet_0

Banned
Doctor Strange
Fantastic Beasts
Moana
Dog Eat Dog
The Edge of Seventeen
Nocturnal Animals
Arrival

looks like a busy month. Also, that's the third WWII movie for Brad Pitt

Quake1028

Doctor Strange IMAX 3D
Hacksaw Ridge
Arrival
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk IMAX 3D
Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them IMAX 3D
Moana IMAX 3D
Magnus
Mifune: The Last Samurai

Super excited for almost all of this list, but Strange, Mifune, and Fantastic Beasts especially.

hampig

Is there anyplace online to see limited release movies? I'd pay, I don't care, I just don't live anyplace near a theater that would play really anything that's not a wide release. I got lucky with Shin Godzilla.

Is there anyplace online to see limited release movies? I'd pay, I don't care, I just don't live anyplace near a theater that would play really anything that's not a wide release. I got lucky with Shin Godzilla.

Most movies hit VOD three months after theaters. Out of this list, Always Shine and Dog Eat Dog hit VOD right around the same time as theatrical release.

Toothless

Definitely:

Doctor Strange
Hacksaw Ridge
Moana
Fantastic Beasts
Arrival
Billy Lynn

Maybe:

Loving
Nocturnal Animals
Manchester by the Sea
Edge of Seventeen
Miss Sloane
Allied
Rules Don't Apply

Great month.

For people wondering when some of these selections will be near them:

Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, Moana, Edge of Seventeen, Allied -- wide on date I listed
Billy Lynn -- wide on November 18
Nocturnal Animals -- wide on December 9
Manchester by the Sea, Loving, Miss Sloane, and Elle -- best guess is wide by mid-December

First of all, seeing MOONLIGHT this weekend, finally coming to Houston. Probably seeing Hacksaw Ridge later that day.

Next weekend is Arrival definitely, a maybe on Doctor Strange. Wanna go the second weekend after the crowd dies down a bit.

Edge of Seventeen is said to be good by voices I actually trust, and even if Billy Lynn is a bust I need to see the new Ang Lee film in good ol' 2D.

I'm rather interested in Allied, and Moana as well but I gotta go the Alamo Drafthouse or some shit cuz kid movies on the first weekend is
LLShC.gif

The rest of the limited releases I'll see in Dec/January. Nocturnal Animals, Manchester-By-The-Sea, Loving, Elle...then there's Jackie, Star Wars, La La Land, Silence, Paterson, 20th Century Women, Live by Night, Fences...this cinematic year might be worth a damn after all

Dr. Strange this Friday.
Fantastic Beastrs on 11/18 in NYC
Moana in Thanksgiving
Hacksaw Ridge somewhere in between
Edge of Seventeen around thanksgiving
Arrival, opening night?

PACKED.

Got to see Elle last month, which was pretty amazing. It moves back-and-forth between comical and traumatic elements really well.

Looking forward to these releases from this month:

Manchester by the Sea
Arrival
The Edge of Seventeen
Billy Lynn
Moana
Loving

From last month that I haven't seen yet:

The Handmaiden
Moonlight
American Honey

Also, maybe:

Nocturnal Animals
Miss Sloane

Monocle

Hyped as hell for Arrival. Totally my kind of movie, from what I've seen.

Excited for Dr. Strange as well. Curious to see how much I like Fantastic Beasts. The setting and cast are great but it hasn't entirely grabbed me for some reason. Hoping Moana is a fun as it looks. Lastly, Miss Sloane could be interesting. Not sure if I'll catch it in a theater though.

Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk looks like patriotic wank if the trailer is any indication. Definitely not feeling that one. OTOH, it's by Ang Lee, so I don't know.

I just saw Edge of Seventeen last night and consider me shocked at how good it was. The trailers kind of sell as a been-there, done-that coming-of-age movie, but it so perfectly nails the feeling of teenage angst (and even depression) around that time. Definitely the biggest surprise of 2016 for me.

Bamboo

Just saw Watermelon Woman. A beautiful film, a beautiful re-release. 90's kids are so cool! Film of the month so far.

Yeah, the trailer does not really represent the tone of the movie at all.

Represented some of the humor pretty well but yeah you're right.

Best lead performance I've seen in a while. Affleck is too fucking good at this. Also surprisingly funny movie about grieving, but I love how subtle the acting is from casey. The rest of the cast is good too. Michelle Williams and Chandler are of course great but that kid is a surprise. I think he'll have a dope future ahead of him. Definitely gonna catch that movie again in theaters when it releases more wide. Because although it is pretty emotionally heavy it also has a good sense of humor and was just great to sit through because of that.

Hella movies this month. Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, Moana, Elle, Loving,Nocturnal Animals

Will wait on VOD for the others that interest me (edge of seventeen, Billy lynn and fantastic beasts)

God damn. A lot of interesting stuff but just looking at that list is exhausting haha

I just saw Edge of Seventeen last night and consider me shocked at how good it was. The trailers kind of sell as a been-there, done-that coming-of-age movie, but it so perfectly nails the feeling of teenage angst (and even depression) around that time. Definitely the biggest surprise of 2016 for me.
Better than The Diary Of A Teenage Girl?

Bishop89

2 ww2 movies....
somebody is spoiling me.

Will watch hacksaw ridge, allied can maybe wait.

Nic Cage/Dafoe... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

Better than The Diary Of A Teenage Girl?

Oooh, it's very close. They are both great. Do I have to choose? I'd say the themes Edge of Seventeen deals in with friendship (or lackthereof) is more relatable to both sexes whereas Teenage Girl felt very much from a female point-of-view and primarily about sexuality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom