• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Films to See in September (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren870

Really? Sleeping With Other People made your top 15?

Bachelorette was hands down one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was on tv the other night and it was horrible.

The comedy was just so forced. Had a good cast which I thought would lead to a funny movie, but damn it was horrible. Is Sleeping With Other People going to be better?

Daft_Cat

Sicario. Anything Denis Villeneuve touches seems to turn out pretty special - pretentious OP commentary is pretentious.

Is Office really coming out in US theaters this month? I thought it was just China

Yep, China Lion just announced they are releasing it. Theater list is coming next week.

Sicario. Anything Denis Villeneuve touches seems to turn out pretty special - pretentious OP commentary is pretentious.

Thanks for the pretentious comment!

Really? Sleeping With Other People made your top 15?

Bachelorette was hands down one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was on tv the other night and it was horrible.

The comedy was just so forced. Had a good cast which I thought would lead to a funny movie, but damn it was horrible. Is Sleeping With Other People going to be better?

It really did. What about Bachelorette didn't you like? They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I think Sleeping With Other People is the slightly stronger film, even if there are some leaps in logic. Going in expecting a comedy for both might leave you disappointed. It digs deeper than your standard rom-coms.

Darren870

It really did. What about Bachelorette didn't you like? They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I think Sleeping With Other People is the slightly stronger film, even if there are some leaps in logic. Going in expecting a comedy for both might leave you disappointed. It digs deeper than your standard rom-coms.

The humor was forced and stereotypical potty humor but not in a forced way. I love potty humor, but when its forced it quickly, and I mean quickly, takes a nose dive.

I hadn't even heard of Bachelorette, just saw it was on TV and who was in it so decided to watch it.

IDK, was a pass to me. Never heard of this new movie, just when I saw you liked Bachelorette I was surprised. Since usually you have good taste ;)

gdt

I recently watch Prisoners (and Enemy) so I'm a big fan of Villanueva right now. Very hyped for Sicario.

Whenever I get the chance to see Johnnie To's fuckin business world musical, I'll be there day one.

Until then, Sicario, Black Mass, The Walk in 3D, and maybe Everest? Kinda interested in Mississippi Grand because BEN MENDOLSOHN, but it looks so much like California Split the ghost of Altman should come back to sue.

TBH tho, the most interested thing going on film wise this month is hearing about all the films at the various Film Festivals

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I wish people went to see Meru rather than Everest :|

And I also wish I could see Meru but that's not happening until the Blu-ray :(

shira

Oh god. Those people are in another galaxy. Wtf are they talking about, risk and dying. I can't relate to that.

Mistress America and Queen of Earth are great. Blind (I would have put it on the list, but it's coming out last minute) comes out this week.

Those are great picks. I just saw 45 Years and loved it. Here's some more on my radar: Sunset Song, High-Rise, Desierto, Chevalier, The Devil's Candy, Anomalisa, The Club.

Some favorites I've already seen that are there: James White, The Witch, The Assassin.
Thank you kindly. I had completely forgotten about Mistress America and Queen of Earth.
I'm also EXTREMELY jealous you're going to get to see Anomalisa so soon. I backed the heck out of that KS and they've barely peeped at us in a year.

Thank you kindly. I had completely forgotten about Mistress America and Queen of Earth.

I'm also EXTREMELY jealous you're going to get to see Anomalisa so soon. I backed the heck out of that KS and they've barely peeped at us in a year.

Oh, I'm not going to TIFF unfortunately, but I can't wait to see it. Looks great!

I've always wanted to say that I really look forward to these threads. There's always at least one really intriguing flick that I might've missed out on.

Out of that list, I'm checking out:

99 Homes
Black Mass
The Keeping Room
Breathe (Melanie <3 <3)

And I'll be watching Scorch Trials too.

director for black mass has me worried but I dunno, Depp looks electrifying in this. Like he's literally overshadowing such a big ensemble. hope the movie's good though because I haven't liked scott cooper's movies. the subject matter of this is the most interesting though.

glad he turned on his brain for a minute, I hope one day Cruise does the same.

Saw Sicario last night. You guys are going to love this film. It's crazy intense from start to finish. A few squabbles with how they handle a certain subplot and perhaps one main character, but it's really strong.

I saw it! It has some incredible photography, but I was a bit mixed on how they handled certain aspects. My review.

There isn't a single movie on this list that interests me in terms of going to the theater for viewing.

What recent films have you liked? There's certainly something that would match your tastes this month.

xbhaskarx

I hope Everest isn't too Hollywood-ified... I have an unhealthy obsession with mountaineering disasters and particularly the 1996 Everest disaster.

Ryu

Sicario is now on my radar thanks to this thread. Also, it has the most awesome badass one-sheet -

sicario.jpg

When Sicario played at Cannes, many were comparing it to Mann's Heat

unnnnnnfnfnfifuunnnghghgnhh...can't wait

That's not entirely inaccurate, especially in one sequence. I'd say it's more of a cross between Zero Dark Thirty, The Counselor, Traffic, and No Country For Old Men. I'm actually working on a feature on all of its influences, will share when done.

BioHazard

That's not entirely inaccurate, especially in one sequence. I'd say it's more of a cross between Zero Dark Thirty, The Counselor, Traffic, and No Country For Old Men. I'm actually working on a feature on all of its influences, will share when done.

All GOD TIER films, yes even The Counselor

shira

Sicario is now on my radar thanks to this thread. Also, it has the most awesome badass one-sheet -

sicario.jpg
That is pretty badass. Unfortunately I only think of these:
hqdefault.jpg

Also I'm confusing this with Cartel Land.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I saw it! It has some incredible photography, but I was a bit mixed on how they handled certain aspects. My review.
Thanks, kinda expected, Renan and Jimmy are two of the best photographers out there especially the former. When I get my hands on the Blu-ray I'll put it right in between Into the Mind and All I can.

Why the heck didn't anyone tell me a new Zhang Yimou film was coming out this weekend (Coming Home)!? Starring Gong Li no less! I trusted you, DP!

OK fine I see it's listed as a matinee, but really?

Why the heck didn't anyone tell me a new Zhang Yimou film was coming out this weekend (Coming Home)!? Starring Gong Li no less! I trusted you, DP!

OK fine I see it's listed as a matinee, but really?

Our review is positive, but I heard mostly mixed things :/

big ander

here's that theater list for Office: https://twitter.com/chinalionfilm/status/641735320514502656 Boston, DC/Gaithersburg, "Los Angeles"(City of Industry & Monterey Park), NYC, San Fran & San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa

Not likely I'll make the trek out to see Office. Definitely seeing Blind since it's at cinefamily. Want to see Sicaro, 99 Homes, Sleeping With Other People, and Respire. The Reflektor Tapes if I really feel like putting up with a bunch of music from that bad album. Goodnight Mommy, The Green Inferno, and The New Girlfriend are hard maybes. The Walk if I can see it for free, wouldn't mind seeing Black Mass if friends wanted to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom