• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Films to See in September (what are you watching?)

If you've already read our comprehensive, three-part fall-movie preview totaling 80 films, then you already have a strong sense of what will be included in this monthly round-up, but as new titles make their way to release calendars and our reviews come in, things will certainly shift. This month features the kick-off of fall film festivals, including Venice, TIFF, and NYFF, so check back for our coverage from each.

In the meantime, check out our recommendations of new releases below. It should be noted that this weekend, a 40th-anniversary restoration of Close Encounters of the Third Kind will get a nationwide release, thus proving to be the best option in an otherwise scarce lineup.

15. It (Andrés Muschietti; Sept. 8)

It-e1504177171427-620x350.jpg

Synopsis: A group of bullied kids band together when a monster, taking the appearance of a clown, begins hunting children.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Following The Dark Tower, the next Stephen King adaptation has nowhere to go but up. While early buzz from studio-picked press has been positive thus far, I've heard less-than-stellar things from more trusted critics. That said, I'll watch any film shot by Chung-hoon Chung, Park Chan-wook's go-to cinematographer.

14. The Unknown Girl (Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne; Sept. 8)

The-Unknown-Girl-620x349.jpg

Synopsis: A woman gets obsessed with the case of a dead woman after learning that the woman had died shortly after having rung her door for help.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: It feels strange not to anticipate a Dardennes film with every fiber of my body, but after a mixed response at Cannes last year and a delayed release, The Unknown Girl is quietly opening this month. We said in our review that it feels like the directors are "on auto-pilot," but with some re-editing, perhaps a better version is now in store.

13. Super Dark Times (Kevin Phillips; Sept. 29)

Super-Dark-Times-620x349.jpg

Synopsis: Teenagers Zach and Josh have been best friends their whole lives, but when a gruesome accident leads to a cover-up, the secret drives a wedge between them and propels them down a rabbit hole of escalating paranoia and violence.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: One of our favorite films from this year's Tribeca. We said in our review, "Set in an familiar and ambiguous time and place (mid-90s in anytown USA), Super Dark Times functions as a kind of trojan house until its twist. Delivering horror thrills, the Kevin Phillips-directed feature first and foremost invests in character development as an effective and sympathetic coming-of-age story until it lives up to its title."

12. The Force (Peter Nicks; Sept. 22)

The-Force-1-620x349.jpg

Synopsis: Goes inside an embattled urban police department struggling to rebuild trust in one of America's most violent yet promising cities.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: As the rallying cries for police reform get louder by the day, one filmmaker is diving into the middle of the issue. Peter Nicks’ The Force goes deep inside the Oakland Police Department and the results look to be a gripping, unsensationalized document. We said in our review, "The Force examines one of the most talked about issues in America from an ideal vantage point, revealing disheartening complexities with an intriguing momentum."

11. American Made (Doug Liman; Sept. 29)

American-Made-e1503368447894-620x349.png

Synopsis: A pilot lands work for the CIA and as a drug runner in the south during the 1980s.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Though The Mummy proved to be far from the cinematic-universe-starter that Universal hoped, they are staying in the Tom Cruise business. The action star has reteamed with his Edge of Tomorrow (aka Live Die Repeat) director Doug Liman for American Made, which finds Cruise playing Barry Seal, a TWA pilot who smuggled drugs, got busted, and was recruited by the CIA in the process. It sounds relatively grounded, at least in Cruise terms, and judging from early reactions, it's said to mostly deliver. In a telling comment on Cruise's current career, it's already starting to be released in international territories.

10. Trophy (Shaul Schwarz and Christina Clusiau; Sept. 8)

Trophy-2-620x349.jpg

Synopsis: This in-depth look into the powerhouse industries of big-game hunting, breeding and wildlife conservation in the U.S. and Africa unravels the complex consequences of treating animals as commodities.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: One of the most controversial documentaries at Sundance this year. We said in our review, "There’s no clear answer for what to do here, like so much in this world. For every groundswell of social media support for a Cecil The Lion, there are a hundred (a thousand!) poaching atrocities committed in the name of protecting local farmers and fueling a growing hunting economy, and some of that is certainly legitimate."

9. mother! (Darren Aronofsky; Sept. 15)

Mother-1-620x316.png

Synopsis: A couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: I'm not entirely sure what to expect from Darren Aronofsky's new film, and I think that's exactly the way he wants it. “It’s a cruise missile shooting into a wall, this film,” the director told Vulture. “I want audiences to be prepared for that and prepped that it’s a very intense ride.” With its cryptic trailers and release date landing so soon after a festival premiere, hopefully the mystery will be left intact and the adventure proves a disturbing, worthwhile one. At the very least, Anthony Bourdain is a fan.

8. The Challenge (Yuri Ancarani; Sept. 8)

The-Challenge-620x344.jpg

Synopsis: Captures the world of wealthy Qatari sheikhs with a passion for amateur falconry.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: There's no shortage of sports for the upper class, but few are as absurd as falconry, especially when it comes to wealthy Qatari sheikhs. The Challenge, a winner at last year's Locarno International Film Festival, finds director Yuri Ancarani capturing this extracurricular activity in a surreal fashion, unfolding in visually extravagant tableau fit for a museum projection. That's not to take away from the cinematic quality of the film, however, which is one of the more transporting experiences one can have at a theater this year. Read our full review.

7. Brad's Status (Mike White; Sept. 15)

Brads-Status-620x346.png

Synopsis: A father takes his son to tour colleges on the East Coast and meets up with an old friend who makes him feel inferior about his life's choices.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Already having quite a summer with his writing duties on Beatriz at Dinner (not to mention a script credit on The Emoji Movie), Mike White is back with Brad's Status, his first directorial feature in a decade. Starring Ben Stiller, it follows his character going through a mid-life crisis of sorts while also trying to help his son get into college. The trailer employed the mix of humorous drama that has defined White's career, and hopefully it'll be an early fall highlight.

6. Woodshock (Laura Mulleavy and Kate Mulleavy; Sept. 22)

Woodshock-620x320.png

Synopsis: A woman falls deeper into paranoia after taking a deadly drug.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: As Tom Ford has proven, major players in the world of fashion design can yield great results in cinema. The latest to test this theory are Kate Mulleavy and Laura Mulleavy, founders of the label Rodarte. Their debut film, backed by A24, is Woodshock, which premieres at Venice then hits theaters soon after. Starring Kirsten Dunst, Joe Cole, and Pilou Asbæk, it looks to be a gorgeously rendered drama that borders on the experimental through a variety of dream-like shots.

5. Kill Me Please (Anita Rocha da Silveira; Sept. 1)

Kill-Me-Please-2-620x349.jpg

Synopsis: Bia, Michele, Mariana and Renata are four affluent teens in Rio de Janeiro. When a wave of murders hits their neighborhood, the girls develop a morbid curiosity with the victims -- breaking down the lines separating life, death and desire.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  After stopping by festivals such as SXSW, Venice, and New Directors/New Films, Anita Rocha da Silveira’s Kill Me Please will finally be hitting U.S. theaters this week. As we said in our review, "With its inky, stalking sense of darkness and warped surrealism, David Lynch’s Mulholland Dr. is an obvious touchstone for Silveira’s sensibility, but her visual milieu feels just as evocative of disparate directors such as Carlos Reygadas, Céline Sciamma, and Harmony Korine. Her camerawork doesn’t so much follow as glide, and Silveira isn’t shy about starbursts of color (e.g. a refracting neon purple prism from a headlight). The sequences are carefully composed but not immune to playful tricks, including a wide frame that suddenly erupts into a full music video to Bounce-style music."

4. Lucky (John Carroll Lynch; Sept. 29)

Lucky-2-620x303.png

Synopsis: The spiritual journey of a ninety-year-old atheist.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Harry Dean Stanton and David Lynch are back together again in Lucky, directed by unforgettable character actor John Carroll Lynch (Zodiac, The Invitation). A highlight in our fall preview, we said this journey cuts through with humor, spirituality, and breathtaking imagery along the way. If you happen to be in NYC, we also recommend a retrospective at the Quad Cinema dedicated to the lead actor's iconic body of work.

3. Loving Vincent (Dorota Kobiela, Hugh Welchman; Sept. 22)

Loving-Vincent-1-e1503369518525-620x350.png

Synopsis: A feature film about the life and mysterious death of Vincent Van Gogh.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: In a year full of minions, emojis, talking cars, and bossy babies, to say we're looking for something a bit more compelling in the animated field is an understatement. Thankfully, a promising feature looks to be arriving this fall in the form of Loving Vincent, a Vincent Van Gogh biopic that's also the first fully oil-painted feature film. 125 painters worked over six years, resulting in 65,000 painted frames, and Saoirse Ronan, Aidan Turner, Douglass Booth, Chris O'Dowd, and Helen McCrory are in its voice cast, with Clint Mansell on scoring duties.

2. Rat Film (Theo Anthony; Sept. 15)

Rat-Film-1-620x349.jpg

Synopsis: A documentary that uses the rat--as well as the humans that love them, live with them, and kill them--to explore the history of Baltimore.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: You will see no film this or any other year like Rat Film. "A horror movie. A nature documentary. An anthropological study. A history lesson. A social justice statement. All plus more. Rat Film is one of the most original films of the year, fiction or nonfiction, and it made me feel both as if I had learned a semester’s worth of knowledge and bereft of any idea as to how society’s problems can be mended," we said in our review.

1. Ex Libris – New York Public Library (Frederick Wiseman; Sept. 13)

Ex-Libris-4-620x310.jpg

Synopsis: A look within the walls of the New York Public Library.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: After exploring Queens’ Jackson Heights, London’s National Gallery, and California’s University of Berkeley, legendary documentary filmmaker Frederick Wiseman has set his sights on the New York Public Library. Clocking in at 200 minutes, it promises to be another intimate look at an iconic institution and, as his last few films have proven, the 87-year-old director is as sharp as ever.

Honorable Mentions: Dolores (9/1), The Limehouse Golem (9/8), School Life (9/8), Woodpeckers (Carpinteros) (9/15), First They Killed My Father (9/15), Strong Island (9/15), Thirst Street (9/20), Ninjago (9/22), Stronger (9/22), Victoria and Abdul (9/22), Battle of the Sexes (9/22), and Our Souls at Night (9/29)

All Releases

• A Boy Called Po (Free) - 9/1
• Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (2017 Re-Release) (Sony) - 9/1
• Dolores (PBS) - 9/1
• Hazlo Como Hombre (Do It Like An Hombre) (PNT) - 9/1
• I Do... Until I Don't (TFA) - 9/1
• Inhumans (Imax) - 9/1
• Jackals (Shout!) - 9/1
• The Layover (VE) - 9/1
• Temple (2017) (Scre.) - 9/1
• Tulip Fever (Wein.) - 9/1
• Unlocked (LGP) - 9/1
• Valley of Bones (Ham) - 9/1
• The Vault (FR) - 9/1
• Viceroy's House (IFC) - 9/1
• 9/11 (ADC) - 9/8
• Home Again (ORF) - 9/8
• It (WB (NL)) - 9/8
• Napping Princess (GK) - 9/8
• Paradise Club (Indic.) - 9/8
• Poster Boys (Sony) - 9/8
• Rebel in the Rye (IFC) - 9/8
• School Life (Magn.) - 9/8
• Trophy (Orch.) - 9/8
• The Unknown Girl (IFC) - 9/8
• Year by the Sea (Real Women) - 9/8
• May It Last: A Portrait Of The Avett Brothers (Osci.) - 9/12
• All I See is You (ORF) - 9/15
• American Assassin (LGF) - 9/15
• Because of Gracia (AAE) - 9/15
• Brad's Status (Annapurna) - 9/15
• mother! (Par.) - 9/15
• Time to Die (FM) - 9/15
• The Wilde Wedding (VE) - 9/15
• Battle of the Sexes (FoxS) - 9/22
• Bobbi Jene (Osci.) - 9/22
• Friend Request (ENTMP) - 9/22
• Happy Hunting (VE) - 9/22
• The King's Choice (Gold.) - 9/22
• Kingsman The Golden Circle (Fox) - 9/22
• Ninjago (WB) - 9/22
• Ribbons (Indic.) - 9/22
• Stronger (RAtt.) - 9/22
• The Tiger Hunter (Shout!) - 9/22
• Unrest (INDEP) - 9/22
• Victoria and Abdul (Focus) - 9/22
• Woodshock (A24) - 9/22
• American Made (Uni.) - 9/29
• Don't Sleep (Free) - 9/29
• Flatliners (2017) (SGem) - 9/29
• Judwaa 2 (FIP) - 9/29
• Literally, Right Before Aaron (Scre.) - 9/29
• Lucky (Magn.) - 9/29
• Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House (SPC) - 9/29
• A Question Of Faith (PFR) - 9/29
• Super Dark Times (Orch.) - 9/29
• Take Every Wave: The Life of Liard Hamilton (IFC) - 9/29
• Til Death Do Us Part (NN) - 9/29

What are you watching this month?

hydruxo

While early buzz from studio-picked press has been positive thus far, I've heard less-than-stellar things from more trusted critics.

You got any links to these trusted critics? I've only heard good things.

You got any links to these trusted critics? I've only heard good things.

It's personal conversation. They aren't allowed to say anything yet or rather the studio system is engineered in a way that it's most of the junket press are more encouraged to share their positive opinion. With that said, the trailers have been quite bad, so I hope it's good. I'm seeing it Tuesday.

kunonabi

Nothing this month is really grabbing me. It is a maybe as the trailers have been hit or miss and Curry is still going to leave a large shadow regardless of how the rest of it turns out.

Mother looks pretty freaky.

Not the type of film I always enjoy watching, but I am very curious about what the hell it's about.

Definitely seeing It, Mother! and Woodshock. Maybe The Unknown Girl if it plays around me.

edit: Also, Lucky if I'm in NYC in the next few weeks.

UberTag

I'm weighing my TIFF viewing options right now. Sadly I'm working two jobs right now so won't be able to replicate last year where I watched EVERYTHING noteworthy but I'm at least hoping to make the trek to catch Downsizing and The Shape of Water if nothing else.

Empty

good to see wiseman still cranking docs out. buzzin to learn how a library operates. hope it's five hours long.

It
Kingsman Golden Circle
Flatliners (my wife will probably want to see this one)

American Made, American Assassin and mother! are probably redbox waits for me.

Boogs31

Looking forward to Mother. After the Wrestler, which is one of my favorites, I will see any film Aronofsky makes. I never understood why he made a movie like Noah. It just didn't seem like the appropriate genre for him. This feels more like something that suits his style.

Talka

I love these posts! They always motivate me to see movies I wouldn't otherwise enjoy.

That said...

Why You Should See It: One of our favorite films from this year's Tribeca. We said in our review, "Set in an familiar and ambiguous time and place (mid-90s in anytown USA), Super Dark Times functions as a kind of trojan house until its twist. Delivering horror thrills, the Kevin Phillips-directed feature first and foremost invests in character development as an effective and sympathetic coming-of-age story until it lives up to its title."

This is not good writing, dude. Your site needs an editor.

I don't really like JLaw and I've yet to see an Aronofsky that I love, but I'm getting Rosemary's Baby vibes from Mother which is enough to make me want to check it out.

adj_noun

Cool list, but each entry after 15 ignores the film they're ostensibly about and goes back to listing reasons why you should see It.

"but her visual milieu feels just as evocative of disparate directors such as Carlos Reygadas, Céline Sciamma, and Harmony Korine"

Breh, this statement is a precision strike to my sensibilities. Especially Carlos.

3709d013fc8903c5bee1e6ec4df8cd3f.jpg

Cool list, but each entry after 15 ignores the film they're ostensibly about and goes back to listing reasons why you should see It.

There's a synopsis for each as well as a trailer that should give you all you need in the department. What more do you want?

I knew Kingsman wouldn't be on this guy's list. I knew it lol

Fucking hell

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hated the first one and everyone I talked to said this is more of the same, but worse.

dinoroar

Banned
There's not too much I'm excited for this month but October and onwards, can't wait! Creep 2 especially.

I'm looking forward to seeing if The Vault is up to much cop. The switcheroo and the fact that Franco is in it makes me intrigued. Will see mother! too and the Van Gogh movie. Kill Me Please I hadn't heard of but it sounds great.

Certinty

Already seen American Made and really enjoyed it. Fun and interesting more than anything.

As for this month I think I'll see American Assassin, IT, Kingsman, Flatliners and Wind River.

Might honestly be the worst month of the year, only interested in Kingsman really.

gamz

There's not too much I'm excited for this month but October and onwards, can't wait! Creep 2 especially.

I'm looking forward to seeing if The Vault is up to much cop. The switcheroo and the fact that Franco is in it makes me intrigued. Will see mother! too and the Van Gogh movie. Kill Me Please I hadn't heard of but it sounds great.

I'm in for Creep 2. Didn't know it was coming out in October. Cool.

man I'm so down for a movie starring David Lynch and Harry Dean Stanton, especially after this summer. Will check that out when it hits streaming or VOD.

also will see mother! and kingsmen 2 in theaters, maybe It as well.

Stanng243

Those look horrific. The only ones I have any interest in are It, Mother, American Made and Kingsman which OP left off his list. The others I wouldn't even waste my movie pass on. I was expecting a comprehensive list for September, and this was not it.

I have no idea if it'll be any good or not (I've at least liked all of his films so far, even Noah), but I'm wildly curious to find out what Mother! is.

Looking forward to Lucky and Woodshock too.

Those look horrific. The only ones I have any interest in are It, Mother, American Made and Kingsman which OP left off his list. The others I wouldn't even waste my movie pass on. I was expecting a comprehensive list for September, and this was not it.

Jesus christ

Sorry. Next time I'll try to add more Tulip Fevers and Victoria and Abduls for you.

I love how every month there's a couple newcomers to the thread and trash them because they don't see movie xyz in the top 15.

Keep it up ex and thanks for posting.

Hey DP (or anyone else),

Looking for long weekend movie recommendations, gonna finally test out Moviepass now that I'm back on the service. I've whittled the list down to the following; looking to probably see two:

The Big Sick
Logan Lucky
Wind River
Good Time

and in the ehhh, maybe pile: Girl's Trip, Atomic Blonde

The GF has zeroed in on Good Time, and I'm leaning towards Wind River. Some interest in The Big Sick and mild interest on Logan Lucky. Thoughts welcome and appreciated!

Blader

It sounds like you already know Kingsman is coming this month, so why would you need it on this list?

Hey DP (or anyone else),

Looking for long weekend movie recommendations, gonna finally test out Moviepass now that I'm back on the service. I've whittled the list down to the following; looking to probably see two:

The Big Sick
Logan Lucky
Wind River
Good Time

The GF has zeroed in on Good Time, and I'm leaning towards Wind River. Some interest in The Big Sick and mild interest on Logan Lucky. Thoughts welcome and appreciated!

Wind River is the only one on your list I've seen so far but it's good and worth watching. If you're only seeing one other, I'd say choose between Logan Lucky and The Big Sick.

IronRinn

Lucky and mother! definitely. And Woodshock, because I will watch anything A24 releases, now. Probably Ex Libris – New York Public Library, Rat Film, and Trophy as well. Maybe It.

Thanks, moviepass.

Hey DP (or anyone else),

The Big Sick
Logan Lucky
Wind River
Good Time

Only saw Wind River and Atomic Blonde, and I'd give a strong recommendation to Wind River. Posted this in that movie's thread
So this was really great. One thing I noticed with Sheridan's scripts is that they are all great at placing you in a setting, plots that feel like they couldn't happen anywhere else but these places and with these communities, be it the border, or the struggling Texan outskirts, or here with the bleak, isolated, and forgotten Wyoming wilderness of Wind River

Wind River was a well-crafted balance between painful drama, murder mystery, and thriller, with a pervasive sense of tension and isolation that comes from both the snow-swept setting and the lack of back-up that comes with the nature of the reservation. Much like Sicario, the movie is great at tense build-up leading to explosions of violence, and the violence here feels brutal and chaotic. The emotional weight of loss and grief really anchors and elevates what is a relatively simple story, and in some scenes, the heartbreak feels as raw as the violence does.

Atomic Blonde had style and some great action, but it was too convoluted for its own good, and just came across as a poorly paced and needlessly complicated story anchored by one very strong action scene and Theron's performance

Top Bottom