• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 years ago today, the Nintendo 64 was released in America

Marrshu said:
I still remember the first time I played Super Mario 64 in a Toys R Us. That was magical...
... and I'm never getting that feeling back, am i? ;_;
same experience, same feelings. That demo in toys r us and competing in a ridge racer tournament at a local funcoland still sit as my most revered gaming memories.

"I AM TUROK!"

tfaGE.jpg

Turok 2 was probably my favorite FPS for the N64- large, non-linear levels with some of the best AI in gaming at the time and a kick-ass, over the top twitch-based MP. I assume the non-linearity and high difficulty spikes, however, turned off many from finishing it.

_dementia said:
I thought the MSRP was $70, not $80

I think $79.99 was the max for N64 games. It's one of the main reasons Sony got so much support from third parties so early. CD's just made more sense for developers, publishers, and consumers.

Probably my final 'pre-adult' console (as in me being an adult now).

Such wonderful memories I can't even begin to describe the fun I had, home to many of the best games ever and THE best game ever (Ocarina of Time). The system was king of multiplayer too.

Ended up amassing some 222 games for the thing, I really miss carts from a collectors standpoint. :( DS/3DS is like the closest thing I have to that now.

Anyway, thanks for the memories N64. :) You have a very special place in my heart. Stories and memories I hope I never forget.

Conrad Link said:
Probably my final 'pre-adult' console (as in me being an adult now).

Such wonderful memories I can't even begin to describe the fun I had, home to many of the best games ever and THE best game ever (Ocarina of Time). The system was king of multiplayer too.

Ended up amassing some 222 games for the thing, I really miss carts from a collectors standpoint. :( DS/3DS is like the closest thing I have to that now.

Anyway, thanks for the memories N64. :) You have a very ]special place in my heart. Stories and memories I hope I never forget.
Wow. 0_o

FyreWulff

The only Rare game we never owned or even played for the N64 was Mickey Speedway USA.

They were pretty hot for that console and kept it alive pretty well for us.

kodecraft

kitchenmotors said:
1377-500m.jpg

Not enough mentions of one of the best platforms on the system. I think I may even play it tonight in honor of the 15th anniversary.

Whoa!. This game turned out much better than i had thought when i had rented it. I couldn't put it down.

Souldriver said:

Yea lol, just looked it up at home and I actually got to 226. I'm a game collector, while I did get a lot at the time of release (prolly my first system where I actually got the good games day 1 as apposed to just whenever they were gifted to me) the 'additional' games (non-essentials etc) in the collection were all picked up cheap during the end of the generation.

And because of that I actually made an effort to get them all boxed too!

I wasn't old enough to get heaps of cool deals during the end gen of NES and SNES but I wasn't gonna miss the N64! Definitely a special system to me not only on the game front but a collection one too.

kodecraft said:
Whoa!. This game turned out much better than i had thought when i had rented it. I couldn't put it down.

Yep I bought it not really knowing what to expect, and wow! Really found a gem here I thought. Lots of fun, and the music was amazing!

Majmun

The only Nintendo system I've never owned. Went with PlayStation at that time...

I've played all of the N64 classics on the NGC, Wii and the DS.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Never had the console. Was rocking at the PS1 at that time. :)

Always envied my buddy with Mario 64 though. Otherwise I liked the PS1 games more.

entremet

Loved the system. I loved the dorm room--Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Smash Brothers sessions.

Wave Race was amazing. One of the few times I was amazed by graphics. The water physics were crazy. Too bad we never got a rumble version like Japan. Would've killed for that.

Top Bottom