• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 rated eshop restriction lifted

the crazy late night only restriction on access to 18 rated content on the european eshop has gone, able to access it now and info confirming on wii u eshop news section

Ashler

Thank freaking GOD!

They probably got around this by registering the European filial outside of Germany.

glaurung

Does it make a difference? I will die of dehydration and old age long before the store page even loads up anyhow.

Where's the promised spring OS update you turdnippers?

Great.

But maybe they should move their operation out of Germany so they can actually function like a proper video game company.

VariantX

What the fuck was the reason in the first place?

Something to do with laws in Germany that prohibit 18+ content to be sold until after a certain time of day. Im guessing the servers or the operations were located in Germany, forcing them to comply, but effectively screwing over every other neighboring country that didn't have such restrictions on content.

Jucksalbe

Banned
But Nintendo said it was illegal.

They say they worked it out with the USK (someone should quote the full English notice, I'm not gonna translate the German one) and got the official confirmation that their shop system is safe enough to prohibit children from gaining access to 18+ content.

D-e-f-

Banned
What did they do to side step that.

The USK ratings board evaluated their services and deemed them safe (parental controls, etc) enough to keep children away from mature rated content.

At last! I can't see how anyone thought this was a good idea in the first place, it was totally self-defeating

You make it sound like NoE thought this was a fun thing to do just for the hell of it.

wiiU gone wild
NwlX46N.jpg

dwu8991

Banned
Something to do with laws in Germany that prohibit 18+ content to be sold until after a certain time of day. Im guessing the servers or the operations were located in Germany, forcing them to comply, but effectively screwing over every other neighboring country that didn't have such restrictions on content.

TROKIA is the most apt description of German policies designed to controll people's lives.

Excellent. I just got my Wii U and fell foul of this just last night when I tried to click on Ninja Gaiden 3 in my desparate hunt to find out which games I should buy.

To be honest the fact it stopped me was probably a good thing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well now I can get around to downloading the Zombi U demo since I kept on forgetting to log in at night.

Duster

I never realised that was fucking USK's fault, maybe Nintendo can convince them to stop ruining our game boxes with their stupid oversized logo too.

wsippel

Banned
The USK ratings board evaluated their services and deemed them safe (parental controls, etc) enough to keep children away from mature rated content.
Really? Well, that's a nice surprise. Makes sense of course, but I didn't expect the USK and/ or KJM to make sense.

EDIT: Guess that confirms it. Wow.

This was - as far as I can tell - simply Nintendo being pragmatic and conservative about the German regs. Glad they've had their setup assessed and approved.

Nibel

In the name of Germany

I'm sorry guys - sometimes we do crazy stuff, but that's just how we roll you know

Scum

Good to see something finally done about this. Nice.

So, the Nintendo family friendly shenanigans comes to the rescue...?
5YRcF.gif

Haunted

This was - as far as I can tell - simply Nintendo being pragmatic and conservative about the German regs. Glad they've had their setup assessed and approved.
Exactly.

Now that they've bothered to actually check in with the USK, of course there was no need for that stupidity.

What an embarrassing episode.

Germany is an excellent land of wonderful beers and sausage and pork knuckles and gingerbread and excellent people so I can easily forgive this one moment of madness in their history.

Exactly.

Now that they've bothered to actually check in with the USK, of course there was no need for that stupidity.

What an embarrassing episode.

What interests me is why it happened now. Was there any 18-rated (or equivalent) content on the Wii/DSi shops? Was it really just the one (?) title on the eShop that prompted them to do this?

Top Bottom