• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 rated eshop restriction lifted

Phazon

What interests me is why it happened now. Was there any 18-rated (or equivalent) content on the Wii/DSi shops? Was it really just the one (?) title on the eShop that prompted them to do this?

ZombiU promotion untill the 4th of april.

Must be the reason why :p

What interests me is why it happened now. Was there any 18-rated (or equivalent) content on the Wii/DSi shops? Was it really just the one (?) title on the eShop that prompted them to do this?

there are three 18 rated games currently available for download on the wii u eshop

Good news! About time, all these small steps Nintendo seem willing to take to fix mistakes is encouraging as a whole, hopefully we will see a unified account system coming in soon too.

Assault

About friggin' time! I was going to download the ZombiU demo yesterday and it wouldn't let me... then I remembered the silly restriction. So glad they've finally changed it now, yay

wsippel

Banned
Seems more likely that they've been working on this for months, and the evaluation simply took a long time. It's certainly not as trivial as it seems.

sammex

Finally! I'm so glad they listened to us because that German rule affecting the whole of Europe was just ridiculous.

Meelow

Banned
8576719421_6305ea3ab2.jpg

Seems more likely that they've been working on this for months, and the evaluation simply took a long time. It's certainly not as trivial as it seems.

Oh, I'm guessing the evaluation was a pain in the arse - every time I've had personal or professional dealings with a government or quasi-government body it's been a slow, tedious process. What I'm wondering is why they didn't get this evaluation done before they launched the system - the eShop was in place for launch after all. NoE clearly - IMO anyway - did the right thing with regard to safeguarding their position while they had the eShop assessed and approved, but it would have been preferable to have had that happen out of sight rather than impose a limitation on customers while it was happening.

andthebeatgoeson

Blame Germany. Or something.

First Hitler...now this.

This is true. I have it set up for my son and restrictions on everything. I know Nintendo doesn't lead in this area but this is far better than some things. My oldest son just got a Kindle fire. That system is terribad on restricting kids. They set that thing up without even thinking if a kid might use it.

I need to be able to restrict apps, the browser, would love time limits. The kindle fire makes you put in a credit card for some free apps/games. What kind of shit is that? It's made only for responsible adults with a credit card. I might have to get a reloadable card just for some free apps. Makes no sense.

I know the Ipad is better because I just visited a family and when my son downloaded an app, the day got an instant email about what was downloaded. See, I like that. I don't want to worry about loading a credit card onto a device and my kid buys $10K worth of vitual crap. The Wii U system of restriction is very good.

beje

Banned
I think I missed that. What was the restriction originally?

That according to German laws, +18 content could only be shown under certain timeframes (from 23 h. to 3 h.) which was initially thought just for TV but somehow, somebody forced it on the eShop despite already having parental controls in effect, making you unable to access product pages (including ability to see videos, screens, buy the game or download a demo) outside that time of the day.

Well, with this and the 60Hz VC games, at least Nintendo of Europe are willing to listen these days. Okay, they could probably handle it better than a wall of silence and a refusal to admit that there's even a problem, followed by a policy change out of the blue a few months down the line, but this is still progress!

andthebeatgoeson

Well, with this and the 60Hz VC games, at least Nintendo of Europe are willing to listen these days. Okay, they could probably handle it better than a wall of silence and a refusal to admit that there's even a problem, followed by a policy change out of the blue a few months down the line, but this is still progress!

I wanted to give NOE shit but it seems like they are one of the better Nintendo agencies. NOA, how far you have fallen.

Li Kao

Excuse me, don't want to derail the thread but about the Wii U VC, has there been titles other than F-Zero that have been released in 60hz ? Since that release I wonder if it will be a new standard or just a one time thing.
Not capital but it will have an impact over which region I buy a Wii U when the time comes.

Excuse me, don't want to derail the thread but about the Wii U VC, has there been titles other than F-Zero that have been released in 60hz ? Since that release I wonder if it will be a new standard or just a one time thing.
Not capital but it will have an impact over which region I buy a Wii U when the time comes.

punch out

javac

Baby steps Nintendo, but your getting there. Now miiverse on 3DS and ACTUAL unified accounts and no 5 transfer limit on 3DS.

Punch out!! was released today also running at 60hz.
I expect every VC game, except multi language act-ad/RPgs, to run at 60hz from now on

wsippel

Banned
That according to German laws, +18 content could only be shown under certain timeframes (from 23 h. to 3 h.) which was initially thought just for TV but somehow, somebody forced it on the eShop despite already having parental controls in effect, making you unable to access product pages (including ability to see videos, screens, buy the game or download a demo) outside that time of the day.
As far as I understand, parental controls have to be evaluated on a case by case basis by the USK or KJM, and only very few systems passed the evaluation so far.

D-e-f-

Banned
re4 was only 15 rated anyway

By the BBFC in the UK. It was rated 18 by PEGI and USK. Not that this matters though since it was never available digitally on a Nintendo system.

edit: beaten I guess

As far as I understand, parental controls have to be evaluated on a case by case basis by the USK or KJM, and only very few systems passed the evaluation so far.

UPlay STILL only sells certain games during that late night/early morning period (which nobody seemed to care about when they made big waves about the eShop doing it).

Its really sad that this is even news.

'Adults can now buy content intended for adults....'

Adults could do that before already. Just not 24/7.

UPlay STILL only sells certain games during that late night/early morning period (which nobody seemed to care about when they made big waves about the eShop doing it).

Are you sure about that? I can access adult content on the UPlay website just fine. And they say Digital River handles their sales, which is based in Luxembourg, and so shouldn't be subject to German laws at all...

D-e-f-

Banned
Are you sure about that? I can access adult content on the UPlay website just fine. And they say Digital River handles their sales, which is based in Luxembourg, and so shouldn't be subject to German laws at all...

Sorry I wasn't clear. The restriction is in place in Germany is what I meant. I know it was different on the eShop but there is still no reason to do this as all other stores let you buy things with higher age ratings just fine over here.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Top Bottom