• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up/IGN layoffs part deux [1UP, Gamespy, and UGO being shut down]

LiK

Jose Otero just announced he was laid off. Can we expect more?

I hope everyone affected will get a new gig soon.

----------

UPDATE

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/ign-layoffs/

IGN was hit with editorial layoffs today, with sites 1UP, UGO and Gamespy expected to be shut down.

"We are focusing on our two flagship brands, IGN and AskMen. Unfortunately, as a result, we have made the decision to close sites and restructure our teams accordingly," a company spokesperson confirmed to Joystiq.

The news comes less that a month after IGN was purchased by j2 Global through its Ziff Davis subsidiary.

End of an era.

----------

The memo

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/21/4014196/ign-layoffs-1up-ugo-and-gamespy-shutting-down

Today, we took some difficult but important actions that will ensure the continued growth and health of IGN and AskMen. Before I go into more details about the changes, you should know that they resulted in the elimination of jobs at IGN. It's always upsetting to say goodbye to colleagues and let's do what we can to help these employees as they seek new opportunities.

It's also important for you to know that we are absolutely confident that we now have the best structure and team to successfully move the company forward and that there are no further planned reductions.

The changes we made today are designed to allow us to Simplify and Focus. Our goal is to do fewer things and to do them exceptionally well. In that vein, we want to direct all of our energy and work behind our two flagship brands: IGN and AskMen. They are both category killers and share a vision of a multi-screen (PCs, tablets, smartphones, TV) and multi-format (text, photos and video) world.

As a result of our decision to focus on our core brands, we are:
· Winding down 1UP.com, UGO.com and GameSpy.com;
· No longer ad repping 3rd party sites such as GameStop.com and FamilyGuy.com;
· Actively engaged with parties interested in acquiring IPL. IGN's role going forward will be to broadcast and cover a variety of eSports events;
· Dividing our ad sales team into two: one focused on IGN and the other focused on AskMen.

On the IGN front, Peer Schneider will continue to oversee all of editorial and product, focusing those resources exclusively on IGN. The foundation of this entire company is its content and we will continue to have the best people in the industry producing it.

Charlie Barrett will oversee the monetization of IGN everywhere in the U.S. - PCs, tablets, smartphones, YouTube, consoles - and now be able to concentrate the sales and ad ops teams' efforts where they can make the most impact.

Frank Puma will assume an exciting new role as executive director of programs and solutions, reporting to Charlie. The sales development, design and creative teams will report to Frank, whose charge is to deliver world-class advertising experiences.

A new head of engineering and technology for IGN will be recruited as quickly as possible. Tech has a monumental role to play in the growth of IGN and will be committed to working hand-in-glove with edit, product and sales.

On the AskMen front, Ric Poupada will continue to oversee all aspects of the AskMen organization and is excited to have a new VP of sales, Paul Chenier, reporting to him. Paul has been a longtime advocate of the AskMen brand and is one of the most talented sales executives in our organization. Having him build a dedicated AskMen ad sales team will do wonders for the business.

Ian Chambers will continue to run International out of the UK for both IGN and AskMen and we're thrilled with the performance of our businesses overseas.

Mike Etheridge will be the VP of finance and operations for IGN and AskMen, working across all of the departments to ensure that we're growing our business, expanding our margins and making metric-based decisions.

Rachelle Igoe will be the head of human resources for IGN and AskMen, ensuring that we continue to nurture, attract and retain the best talent in the industry.

I'm sure that there will be a number of questions in the days and weeks ahead but please know that we will be a better functioning and nimbler organization from this moment forward.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It was bound to happen after Ziff took the reins, but still, it sucks. Jose did some good work for 1Up and seems like a cool dude. Hope those affected can sort things out.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Jose never got to rename the podcast :'(

And Rorie he just got a job ! :O

ywG2kfq.png

smr00

Banned
Although i haven't cared for 1up or visited 1up in like 5 years it's always shitty to see someone lose their job.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Why would IGN even bother with letting Gamespy hire if they're going to pull shit like this? I've seen crap like this where the higher ups make like everything is business as usual when they're actually planning on doing a reduction. It fucks with people's lives.

DaBuddaDa

Why would IGN even bother with letting Gamespy hire if they're going to pull shit like this? I've seen crap like this where the higher ups make like everything is business as usual when they're actually planning on doing a reduction. It fucks with people's lives.

The hiring of Rorie was pre-Ziff Davis buyout.

Jose and Rorie... yeah, I really liked the both of them. Jose I have been a fan of for awhile, and after Rorie came back to writing for games after being canned from Screened, I actually started visiting Gamespy again to read his stuff? What about Sharkey or Perish?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wait a sec...if Jose is gone, and unless they hired someone recently which I doubt, they have three people left: Jeremy, Bob and Marty Saliva, right? So if they closed UGO but kept 1UP open, I guess they're cool with just having three guys run it all?

Jose was cool, liked him on the Retronauts lunch breaks.

It might be time to start the plans for Retronauts patches before it's all over.

I don't fully understand the relationship between 1up and IGN. At this point, wouldn't 1up benefit from being incorporated more directly into IGN? I get that Gamespot bought Giantbomb and those two exist as discrete web presences, but Giantbomb is thriving, and what it does is really different qualitatively from Gamespot. I feel like 1up could use the bump.

As a former employee of the Ziff Davis 1UP (the first one), this saddens me.

Many of my friends still work in the industry, whether they're on the media or development side. Most of them are extremely talented individuals. But I got as far away possible (career-wise) from that mess... for this very reason.

Top Bottom