• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up says PS3 megaton cold be eminent- ITT: we speculate our balls off!

Kittonwy

Banned
George Claw M.D. said:
So, E3 is over. Did anything qualify for this secret "MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENT"? Because I can't think of any ... at least not anything that would've had Sony personnel "agog".
Agent.

WinFonda

My guess is that the megaton was FFXIV or Motion Control

(I don't think it was Agent because everyone has known about the R* exclusive for awhile)

nib95

Banned
I think The Agent being a PS3 exclusive was the biggest megaton of the show. Unfortunately due to the lack of media and time spent on it, it's been glossed over a touch. But Rockstar North on this game, and claiming it's going to be the next big Rockstar franchise, as big as GTA, and exclusive? Big news.

Busty

Banned
I suspect the MEGATON had to be the fact SE's MMO was actually a numbered sequel to FFXIII.

The Rockstar (North) exclusive was announced two years ago (IIRC) and so without anymore than substantial than a logo it didn't really raise that much of a commotion.

But finally confirming what everyone suspected that Rockstar North are the ones developing it is indeed huge news.

critch

Banned
iamcool388 said:
What? WHAT? WHAAAAT?!!

Haha... priceless! Also... I dont understand how this is NOT a megaton? Final Fantasy is a pretty big franchise, and to have it only on your console is a big win. Same with Agent.

Downplaying both these announcements is as stupid than downplaying the potential of Natal.

FFXIV is not going to be 'only on your console'. It will be on the PC where most of it's sales will be, and it's likely to come over to the 360.

We know NOTHING about Agent. It's not a big franchise, and Rockstar doesn't mean much considering Red Dead Revolver and Bully didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Considering the person that they got to trumpet Natal, I'll believe it when I see it. If it's anything close to what they say it will be, the cost will be prohibitive and doom it. /tangent.

Schrade said:
Haha that is awesome. Love all the "what?!?!". Nice reactions.

This one is good too... from the same guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuOAY1c_T4M&fmt=18#t=6m10s

critch said:
FFXIV is not going to be 'only on your console'. It will be on the PC where most of it's sales will be, and it's likely to come over to the 360.

We know NOTHING about Agent. It's not a big franchise, and Rockstar doesn't mean much considering Red Dead Revolver and Bully didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Considering the person that they got to trumpet Natal, I'll believe it when I see it. If it's anything close to what they say it will be, the cost will be prohibitive and doom it. /tangent.

You dont understand megatons do you? They dont have to be what would actually happen... they just have to be the truth based on all available information. It might come to 360... But as of now, there is nothing to support that claim. Does that "It might..." make it less of a megaton? No.

Similarly with Agent, it might very well come to the 360 as well... but as of now, its a PS3 exclusive. And that makes it a megaton. Do you think people give a shit about RDR and Bully when the first trailer to hits says "From the makes of Grand Theft Auto IV... comes their new epic... only on PS3!"... I believe thats whats called a megaton.

The surprise factor was there... the pedigree of the developers was there... Megaton confirmed. The ONLY thing lacking imo was a trailer for Agent... then we would be talking about Gigatons.

Banned
nib95 said:
I think The Agent being a PS3 exclusive was the biggest megaton of the show. Unfortunately due to the lack of media and time spent on it, it's been glossed over a touch. But Rockstar North on this game, and claiming it's going to be the next big Rockstar franchise, as big as GTA, and exclusive? Big news.

You must be very excited about GTA: Episodes from Liberty City. Also, by Rockstar North and coming out this Fall.

so the megaton was an announcement for a game that'll also be on pc and will probably show up on 360 at some point?

that's awesome

megaton in relation to videogames sure has lost much of its meaning

Banned
NAH, it was FFVII downloadable.

BOOM.png

HIROSHIMA 2, ERECTRIC BOOGAROO

Busty

Banned
critch said:

Hey, that looks like fun. I'll give 'making shit up as I go' along a try. FFXIII sells really badly on the 360 as it's user base is mainly attracted to the action-adventure genre rather than JRPGs.

With no Japanese release on the 360, FFXIII sells 75% of it's total WW sales on the PS3. The 360 version is an inferior, multi disc port and seriously 'underperforms' like Blue Dragon.

This sales performance convinces SE to keep Versus and FF14 Online as exclusives to the PS3 and to egg the houses of senior MS execs as revenge for their dire sales on the 360.

Now I think I'll start a new reply where FF14 Online eventually becomes self aware because it's ported to the 360 and ultimately becomes SkyNet.

critch said:

The GTA4 team are developing this game. They know their stuff. You clearly do not.

That is all.

Banned
Busty said:
Hey, that looks like fun. I'll give 'making shit up as I go' along a try.

iamcool388 said:
It might come to 360... But as of now, there is nothing to support that claim.

Square Enix senior VP Shinji Hashimoto stated that the company is "considering all options" for platforms, and noted specifically that Microsoft hardware is a possibility.

I agree with all of you that FFXIV and Agent were both huge announcements. I guess I was just hung up over the bit about Sony employees being "agog". Those games are megaton-level announcements for us gamers, but I don't see why they would have created such excitement within Sony, themselves. I guess I was being overly pedantic about the 1UP report. I don't know, though ... the idea of exclusive games making Sony personnel "agog", just makes them look like a bunch of fanboys, to me. :lol But, I guess if anyone were to have rights to be fanboys, it would be that company's employees. So, all is good.

George Claw M.D. said:
I agree with all of you that FFXIV and Agent were both huge announcements. I guess I was just hung up over the bit about Sony employees being "agog". Those games are megaton-level announcements for us gamers, but I don't see why they would have created such excitement within Sony, themselves. I guess I was being overly pedantic about the 1UP report. I don't know, though ... the idea of exclusive games making Sony personnel "agog", just makes them look like a bunch of fanboys, to me. :lol But, I guess if anyone were to have rights to be fanboys, it would be that company's employees. So, all is good.

Remember, Sony employees didnt say they were agog, 1UP said they were agog. In this case, would it be appropriate to shoot the messenger? :D

iamcool388 said:
Remember, Sony employees didnt say they were agog, 1UP said they were agog. In this case, would it be appropriate to shoot the messenger? :D
Well, it was unclear if it was 1UP, or its source, that said that. And we don't know if their source is even a Sony employee. If it was 1UP, then, yes, shoot 'em right up the ass for their attention-whoring hyperbole!

Busty said:
Hey, that looks like fun. I'll give 'making shit up as I go' along a try. FFXIII sells really badly on the 360 as it's user base is mainly attracted to the action-adventure genre rather than JRPGs.

With no Japanese release on the 360, FFXIII sells 75% of it's total WW sales on the PS3. The 360 version is an inferior, multi disc port and seriously 'underperforms' like Blue Dragon.

This sales performance convinces SE to keep Versus and FF14 Online as exclusives to the PS3 and to egg the houses of senior MS execs as revenge for their dire sales on the 360.

Now I think I'll start a new reply where FF14 Online eventually becomes self aware because it's ported to the 360 and ultimately becomes SkyNet.

All this, for what?
Square Enix itself has denied the exclusivity of the game, declaring that all options are considered. The game will probably end up in Xbox 360 as well, it's not funded by Sony and there's no reason not to.

-edit-

Yeah, beaten and all.

Busty said:
The GTA4 team are developing this game. They know their stuff. You clearly do not.

That is all.
:lol Wow.
The game is pretty big news but the announcement isn't. We knew Rockstar was developing a game for PS3, a long time now. But presenting only a screen, after all this time? We cannot be sure at this time if the game will stay exclusive at all...

critch said:

Bully made greatest hits on PS2. I'm pretty sure it sold well on the Wii. Not sure about the 360. Red Dead Revolver was a popular game too. Not to mention, ya know, a little game called GTA IV.

Don't discredit a developer who has put out high selling games. It doesn't make sense.

acidviper said:
Sorry but Final Fantasy MMO's are not Final Fantasy. Just like Crystal Chronicles isn't Final Fantasy.
It's a wonder how the title "Final Fantasy" makes it on these games. QA teams need to do a better job with that.

Jonnyram

Busty said:
Hey, that looks like fun. I'll give 'making shit up as I go' along a try.
Give it a go? I thought it was your mission statement.
Besides, Square Enix have publicly stated they have been talking to MS about putting it on 360 for FOUR years. It's still in discussion, so I assume there is some red tape in the way, but it's not like they don't want to.

jiggle said:
:lol OMG! Thank you, for that! I had the same reaction, out loud, and I knew I couldn't be the only one.

My post from "The Most Shocking Moment of E3" thread:

George Claw M.D. said:
OP, and 90%+ of this thread got it right. Final Fantasy XIV

Depending on your tastes, it was either a megaton or not, but no one can deny it was definitely the most "shocking" moment. Regardless if the game was online or not, people were too "shocked" to even applaud it. I have no doubt that most people's reactions mimicked the live crowd's. It was a huge announcement for me, but my initial reaction was, "What the fuck? Are you fucking serious? How? 2010? Are you really serious? What the fuck?" And I continued to feel that way, even verbally expressing myself aloud, as the beautiful trailer played out. I was absolutely stunned. Then "Online" appeared on the screen, and my feelings changed to, "Ohhhhh... okaaaay. Now that 2010 date isn't so shocking." Then, after I recovered from the previous shock, I felt elation at the revelation that it was an MMO. An offline game would have been just fine, but I'm actually happier that it's online. Afterall, SE is already giving us FFXIII and Versus. Now, I know many people's mood swings didn't mirror mine, at the end, but don't try to tell me that everything before that point wasn't pretty accurate for most of you. I imagine the variations of reactions to the word "Online" ranged from, "Fuck yes!" "Fuck no!" to, "Hahaha! Epic fail, Sony! Suck it, fanboys!" or "Nooooo ... that should've been a PS3 megaton!"

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

why would it matter if it's multi disk? it's an mmorpg , you'll be installing it to the hdd.
hell, it's a Japanese developed PS3 game - you'll be doing that anyways i guess.

weird that they cancelled a JRPG for the PS3 that was supposed to be multiplatform. I wonder what that was the equivalent of to sony? Teabagging the cat?

Joe211

WhiteAce said:
why would it matter if it's multi disk? it's an mmorpg , you'll be installing it to the hdd.
hell, it's a Japanese developed PS3 game - you'll be doing that anyways i guess.

weird that they cancelled a JRPG for the PS3 that was supposed to be multiplatform. I wonder what that was the equivalent of to sony? Teabagging the cat?
FFXIII is not an mmo rpg.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
FFXIII is not an mmo rpg.

oh yeah, sorry - it was tucked in and i read FFXVI :/

in that case, i think he's going to be disappointed when the games are as good on both platforms, multidisk or not.

Banned
Pistolero said:
One is a DLC, the other a complete new game. How smart, warrior !

GTA: Episodes from Liberty City is getting a retail disc release. Full stand alone game with 10+ hours of gameplay.

jax (old)

Banned
hey... mate told me about epic's warhammer GEARS OF WAR CLONE for PS3. is that right? I haven't seen any mention of this but he said he saw videos. Anyone know what else other that SHADOW *um* CONFLICT ? that cliffy is working on, EPIC showcased at E3?

Busty said:

I would think that Senior MS execs are quite happy the FFXIV runs on Microsoft made software the day it launches. MS wins either way because FFXIV supports their one of their platforms day and date. Didn't GAF always say that if it's on PC then it's not exclusive? How can it be a Sony exclusive if it's running on Microsoft software? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I would think a megaton would at least be exclusive.

bigswords

iamcool388 said:
You dont understand megatons do you? They dont have to be what would actually happen... they just have to be the truth based on all available information. It might come to 360... But as of now, there is nothing to support that claim. Does that "It might..." make it less of a megaton? No.

Megaton; when it's coming on your console of choice PLUS pc and no sight of the competitors yes it is a Megaton!

Edit: A real Megaton would be as the following sentence.
"The new FF online will not have pay to play model!"

Actually, I was asking what the megaton was myself. Overall, Sony really did have a really good showing and there were alot of games on display that looked truly amazing. I doubt the Agent was the Megaton considering we know hardly anything about the game and didn't even get a single screenshot of it. I suppose it was FF14 which did catch everyone by surprise or even the motion controller. PSP Go maybe? Nah.....

bigswords said:
Megaton; when it's coming on your console of choice PLUS pc and no sight of the competitors yes it is a Megaton!

Edit: A real Megaton would be as the following sentence.
"The new FF online will not have pay to play model!"

I would be much more excited about the game if we didn't have to pay to play online, but unfortunately that is what most MMORPG's do.

Okin

Karma said:
You must be very excited about GTA: Episodes from Liberty City. Also, by Rockstar North and coming out this Fall.

Nah, it's just the fact that it's an exclusive. Why else would someone be excited about a logo?

mr_nothin

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
I would think that Senior MS execs are quite happy the FFXIV runs on Microsoft made software the day it launches. MS wins either way because FFXIV supports their one of their platforms day and date. Didn't GAF always say that if it's on PC then it's not exclusive? How can it be a Sony exclusive if it's running on Microsoft software? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I would think a megaton would at least be exclusive.
But then...THEN!!!.....Sony Vaio laptops and computers running Microsoft software!!!
Metagon!

They're totally different divisions and the money from 1 division doesnt just get transferred over to another division just like that.

Busty

Banned
I cannot believe that people are still so sore about FF14 Online being a PS3 console exclusive that they would even take issue with a post of mine that has the line....

Busty said:

Seriously people. And for the record I can't fucking stand JRPGs so they can port to every format under the sun and I won't lose a seconds sleep over it.

I wonder how many in here can say the same?

Jonnyram said:
Give it a go? I thought it was your mission statement.
Besides, Square Enix have publicly stated they have been talking to MS about putting it on 360 for FOUR years. It's still in discussion, so I assume there is some red tape in the way, but it's not like they don't want to.

Ahh yes. How did I know that you would be bringing that up.

If I remember correctly the last time (just last week) you called me out was for implying that Rockstar North might be staffing up for development of a PS3 exclusive.

IIRC you said that I had a great imagination and that I should put it to good use.

How did that little jibe work out for you?

Yeah... that's what I thought.

Lain

acidviper said:
Sorry but Final Fantasy MMO's are not Final Fantasy. Just like Crystal Chronicles isn't Final Fantasy.

They are called final Fantasy, they have a number, the team said they wanted to create the best Final Fantasy and so they came to the conclusion it had to be a MMO.... so guess what? They are real Final Fantasy.

Busty

Banned
Melfice7 said:
Had to be FFXIV, it came out of nowhere.. everyone knows it will end up multi though :p

Being an MMO it wouldn't surprise me at all.

As I've always said by the end of this gen you'll be able to count the number of true third party console exclusives for each format on your hands.

I don't see that changing.

And yes that includes Mass Effect among others.

mr_nothin said:
But then...THEN!!!.....Sony Vaio laptops and computers running Microsoft software!!!
Metagon!

They're totally different divisions and the money from 1 division doesnt just get transferred over to another division just like that.

I know that but it's important for Microsoft to support gaming on Windows platforms so this is a win for them. The 360 isn't Microsoft's only product and the fact that a person needs Microsoft software to run the game is a win for them. While they may not get that extra royalty for each copy sold that the 360 version gives them, they still get to add it to the long list of games you can play on Microsoft made software.

Plus, by getting Square to make a PC version that just means that a 360 port is just a stones throw away since it is no secret how easy it is to port PC games over to the platform. They know that Square has already done the vast majority of work.

And where are the comments about how everyone is going to play the "superior" PC version? But again, how can a game that runs on both Microsoft and Sony software on day one be considered a megaton?

Steroyd

WickedLaharl said:
so the megaton was an announcement for a game that'll also be on pc and will probably show up on 360 at some point?

that's awesome

megaton in relation to videogames sure has lost much of its meaning

That pretty much sums up microsofts "megatons" over the past few years like GTAIV and FFXIII.

Busty

Banned
RBelong2Us said:
Hope the "MEGATON" was not ready to be shown yet.

Because Agent and FFXIV do not equal megatons.

I think last year's astonishing FFXIII to 360 reveal raised the bar for future MEGATONS so high that nothing can really come that close to reaching it.

And yes, FFXIV is a MEGATON.

If it was a console exclusive to the 360 the thread would be 100 pages plus and people would be all but calling the time of death for the PS3.

It's all about perspective on these things.

And at this time of year many people loose theirs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Psychotext said:
If GAF is to be believed generally, that might not be a good thing... (I loved the game, but apparently I'm not in the majority here)

I think even folks who didn't like GTAIV can recognise that getting north's next AAA title is a big deal given their critical and commercial track record. I never really got into Final Fantasy, for example, but I can see they're a big deal.

Top Bottom