• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up says PS3 megaton cold be eminent- ITT: we speculate our balls off!

Busty said:
Being an MMO it wouldn't surprise me at all.

As I've always said by the end of this gen you'll be able to count the number of true third party console exclusives for each format on your hands.

I don't see that changing.

And yes that includes Mass Effect among others.

You are probably right, but I think there is a much better chance that Mass Effect 2 stays in Microsoft's court than FF14 staying in Sony's court for the obvious reasons. Also, I still do not believe that FF13 Versus will be exclusive to PS3. Seriously, I cannot think of too many things at this point that would qualify as "megatons" that would be left.besides a MAJOR price drop. Imo, nothing will ever equate Ff13 going multiplatform.

deepbrown

iamcool388 said:
What? WHAT? WHAAAAT?!!

Haha... priceless! Also... I dont understand how this is NOT a megaton? Final Fantasy is a pretty big franchise, and to have it only on your console is a big win. Same with Agent.

Downplaying both these announcements is as stupid than downplaying the potential of Natal.
Lol it was certainly a Megaton...but that none of them knew it was the FF MMO which we've known was PS3/PC for well over a year...is quite funny lol

I wonder whether Sony asked them to call it FFXIV lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
deepbrown said:
I wonder whether Sony asked them to call it FFXIV lol

not sure who they are trying to fool if they did change the name just to 1 up Microsoft.

The people in the Sony E3 thread were pretty clued up and things turned from "megaton" to "meh" quite quickly.

Busty

Banned
Rhazer Fusion said:
You are probably right, but I think there is a much better chance that Mass Effect 2 stays in Microsoft's court than FF14 staying in Sony's court for the obvious reasons. Also, I still do not believe that FF13 Versus will be exclusive to PS3.

Yeah, that's true I mean EA own the IP and do tens (if not more) of millions of dollars worth of business on the PS3 every year.

I imagine that Mass Effect will probably be what I like to call a 'secure exclusive' like Ninja Gaiden 2.

After all MS themselves published NG2 and there's no way that could ever go multi.....

..oh dear.

deepbrown

D4Danger said:
not sure who they are trying to fool if they did change the name just to 1 up Microsoft.

The people in the Sony E3 thread were pretty clued up and things turned from "megaton" to "meh" quite quickly.
Hardly. An announcement of FFXIV would have meant a 2012 release. An announcement of an exclusive FF game coming out in 2010 is still a megaton.

deepbrown

Busty said:
Yeah, that's true I mean EA own the IP and do tens (if not more) of millions of dollars worth of business on the PS3 every year.

I imagine that Mass Effect will probably be what I like to call a 'secure exclusive' like Ninja Gaiden 2.

After all MS themselves published NG2 and there's no way that could ever go multi.....

..oh dear.
The sarcasm is strong with this one...

deepbrown said:
Hardly. An announcement of FFXIV would have meant a 2012 release. An announcement of an exclusive FF game coming out in 2010 is still a megaton.
It wasn't a megaton though. People were confused at the press conference when he said it because it was plainly unbelievable. There was no "omgawesome" that a megaton delivers, there was a "Huh?" followed quickly by an "Oh..."

deepbrown

Son of Godzilla said:
It wasn't a megaton though. People were confused at the press conference when he said it because it was plainly unbelievable. There was no "omgawesome" that a megaton delivers, there was a "Huh?" followed quickly by an "Oh..."
Uh...no it wasn't. It was a "What" followed by cheers. Watch the footage again chap.

Rhazer Fusion said:
...Imo, nothing will ever equate Ff13 going multiplatform.
FFXIII going 360 exclusive would've outdone it, imo. As is, there really wasn't a legitimate reason for the meltdowns. The only legitimate gripe that people can have, is that it may have prolonged a foreign release date, since SE is planning a simultaneous launch for PS3/360 in NA/EU. Other than that, the meltdowns were just from console warriors losing an exclusive, even though they're still getting the damn game, and it's being completely made for PS3, then ported to 360. So, they can't even argue about it being "watered down". Now if FFXIII went 360 exclusive? Then, we have a real reason for a riot.

Son of Godzilla said:
For the most part, you are correct. But, there was this one fellow...

said:
OHHHH's Bait and switch M$

713.gif

Son of Godzilla said:
Erm....no

Raist

Banned
I think people downplaying this FFXIV announcement because it's an online game should get some perspective.

Absolutely NO ONE saw that coming, especially considering that S-E has launched its huge Fabula Nova whatever series. Not to mention the release date (assuming it's going to be honoured) is quite close. So people might be disappointed that it's an MMO (are we sure tho? It might be just a FF game revolving around co-op, which would be awesome), but that doesn't change hte fact that it was shocking and totally unexpected.

As far as I am concerned, FFXIII going pultiplat was far more expected. Wasn't really a surprise at all.

PBY

Banned
Raist said:
I think people downplaying this FFXIV announcement because it's an online game should get some perspective.

Absolutely NO ONE saw that coming, especially considering that S-E has launched its huge Fabula Nova whatever series. Not to mention the release date (assuming it's going to be honoured) is quite close. So people might be disappointed that it's an MMO (are we sure tho? It might be just a FF game revolving around co-op, which would be awesome), but that doesn't change hte fact that it was shocking and totally unexpected.

As far as I am concerned, FFXIII going pultiplat was far more expected. Wasn't really a surprise at all.
no one, no one NO ONE expected ffxiii going multiplat- and I don't know why a new mmo is so shocking- it had been rumored for a while under codename Rapture

ZeroEdge

peterb0y said:
no one, no one NO ONE expected ffxiii going multiplat- and I don't know why a new mmo is so shocking- it had been rumored for a while under codename Rapture

Umm no. People knew Square were working on Rapture, but absolutely no one would of guessed Trenton was going to announce it as FFXIV and then follow that with it will be out in 2010. Listen to the crowd people were like wtf !?!? I know when I first heard it I was like wtf did he just say 14 by accident when he meant to say 13 Versus???

IMO that was much more impressive then the FFXIII going multi which true was a surprise but not really if you look at install base, etc, etc.

Raist

Banned
peterb0y said:

Well, at least I did. Not that hard. Square licensing the UE3 engine (I know, not the one used by FFXIII, but still), FFXIII's development probably costing a shitload of muniez (the White engine development costs must be pretty high given its quality), their HUGE 360 support with (timed or perm) exclusives, and finally the fact that it's been a while since went from to Sony only to all hardware support... I wasn't surprised at all. Now I don't say I expected it to happen in E3 2008, neither that it would happen even before the game was released, but that was bound to happen IMHO.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Raist said:

Pretty much everyone knew they were going to announce Rapture this year or next. Pretty much everyone knew it was going to be PC+Consoles. There's already been enough info leaked about it that its existence is not a surprise to anyone.

The two surprises are that it has numbered Final Fantasy branding (which, I guess, looking at FF11 is not really a surprise), and that it hasn't been announced for 360.

and yes, it is an MMO.

Raist

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Pretty much everyone knew they were going to announce Rapture this year or next. Pretty much everyone knew it was going to be PC+Consoles. There's already been enough info leaked about it that its existence is not a surprise to anyone.

The two surprises are that it has numbered Final Fantasy branding (which, I guess, looking at FF11 is not really a surprise), and that it hasn't been announced for 360.

and yes, it is an MMO.

Huh yeah, people may have known that, and now that the bomb has been dropped it's easy to make the link between both stuff, but did anyone know or see it coming that Rapture = FFXIV, that it would release next year and on the PS3 only as far as consoles are concerned? I'm not sure.

Raist said:
Well, at least I did. Not that hard. Square licensing the UE3 engine (I know, not the one used by FFXIII, but still), FFXIII's development probably costing a shitload of muniez (the White engine development costs must be pretty high given its quality), their HUGE 360 support with (timed or perm) exclusives, and finally the fact that it's been a while since went from to Sony only to all hardware support... I wasn't surprised at all. Now I don't say I expected it to happen in E3 2008, neither that it would happen even before the game was released, but that was bound to happen IMHO.

Personally, I was quite happy FFXIII went multiplatform. At one point we hadn't heard anything about XIII for a long time and suddenly S-E announced the White Engine was being ported to Wii. I got really worried then, let me tell you. :lol

I think Agent would have been bigger news if there was anything to show. It's the same reason Rising on 360 wasn't bigger news, we know nothing about the game. Wasn't there some quote floating around about R* North really wanting to really take advantage of the PS3 tech? It was probably just Sony PR though. If they do really go all out with Agent, a 360 port could end up being problematic. Looking at ACII though, it's pretty hard to imagine what they could make that the 360 couldn't handle.

FrankT

RBelong2Us said:
Hope the "MEGATON" was not ready to be shown yet.

Because Agent and FFXIV do not equal megatons.

Not only that you had Greenberg after the show saying it's not exclusive plus SE saying yea we're looking at other HW as well. But yea if anything this was probably your typical SB pendulum swinging type of megaton.

The rumors were strong this go around though with the Epic exclusive and Mass Effect 2 jumping ship. I quite enjoyed all the rumors leading up to E3 however.

gkryhewy

deepbrown said:
Uh...no it wasn't. It was a "What" followed by cheers. Watch the footage again chap.

lol, he's talking about actual industry reaction (i.e., liveblogging), not the paid cheering section :lol :lol

Top Bottom