• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 10.10 (Tomb Raider Underground, MK vs DC Universe, Killzone 2 multi beta)

jett

D-Member
NutJobJim said:
Maybe that is why you adapted so easily? Somebody that is used to the way COD4 and Halo handles may have real troubles. As I stated already my argument is mainly regarding casual gamers, the type that mainly play shooters and are big on pretty graphics. KZ2 will appeal to these gamers at first, but if there's a steep learning curve with the controls (remember they're used to shooters controlling and feeling a certain way) they may be turned off the game instantly, and they may not be bothered to put the time in with something that they don't enjoy straight away.

Those are not casual gamers then, more like hardcore COD/Halo nutjobs. I really can't picture anyone having trouble with the way KZ2 controls anyway, unless they're challenged in some capacity.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
NutJobJim said:
Maybe that is why you adapted so easily? Somebody that is used to the way COD4 and Halo handles may have real troubles. As I stated already my argument is mainly regarding casual gamers, the type that mainly play shooters and are big on pretty graphics. KZ2 will appeal to these gamers at first, but if there's a steep learning curve with the controls (remember they're used to shooters controlling and feeling a certain way) they may be turned off the game instantly, and they may not be bothered to put the time in with something that they don't enjoy straight away.

As for the whole professional games journalist thing, I imagine it varies from journalist to journalist. I know that somebody like Shane or John have played a LOT more games than I ever have over my lifetime, and therefore have a lot more experience than I do when it comes to gaming. I'm sure there are some really hardcore gamers here on GAF that have been playing games for 6+ hours everyday for the last 20 years though so maybe they laugh at their 'professional gamer' status :D
If you feel you have a similar taste in games as some of these people, that's fine. But there is nothing in the title "video games journalist" that commands any sort of respect, outside of maybe the ability to get payed for playing video games, forwarding press releases and sharing their opinions.

And regarding this KZ2 nonsense; I'd rather have a smaller, more focused online community than something larger and filled with every possible reject. Just like TF2 has a more focused online community than something like CS (at least in my neck of the woods).

Kittonwy

Banned
NutJobJim said:
I'm not saying I expect the game to control poorly, but it's clearly doing something a little different from most other shooters in the controls department and I'm worried that may turn a lot of people off.

As for the whole professional games journalist thing, I imagine it varies from journalist to journalist. I know that somebody like Shane or John have played a LOT more games than I ever have over my lifetime, and therefore have a lot more experience than I do when it comes to gaming. I'm sure there are some really hardcore gamers here on GAF that have been playing games for 6+ hours everyday for the last 20 years though so maybe they laugh at their 'professional gamer' status :D

I've played a TON of R1 and some R2 and I have no problems adapting to Killzone 2 controls, even when R2 was holding L1 to go into ironsights and Killzone 2 you can have it set up on L1 toggle zoom and L3 for run versus in R2 L2 was used for running. The thing with how Killzone 2 controls is that you can literally jump over anything that is waist-high, so it's not like a hardcore military shooter where you're weighted down and you're inching along on a map, people are always sprinting, always jumping over railings, off balconies, it's actually very fast-paced, it's just fast-paced but with a really great feel in terms of weapon recoil while always providing perfect accuracy on your first shot.

JimiNutz

Banned
jett said:
Those are not casual gamers then, more like hardcore COD/Halo nutjobs. I really can't picture anyone having trouble with the way KZ2 controls anyway, unless they're challenged in some capacity.

Yeah maybe. As far as I'm aware there are like 2 types of casual gamer, those that are new to gaming and play every now and then. These people probably have Wii's and play Wii sports/play/fit etc.

Then there are the 15-26 year old fratboys that play whatever game is 'in.' They are casual in the sense that they only buy 1 maybe 2 games a year, and only really play COD, Halo, GTA, Madden etc. These people do probably game quite a lot but they only play certain titles, mostly shooters. It's this audience that helps make games like Halo, Gears, and GTA multi million sellers. It's these people I'm talking about, which is why, all the way back in my original post when I first mentioned the control issue, I said it will maybe hamper the game from selling as well as the CODs and Halos of this world.

Edit:

Here's the post I made

I can't believe that segment caused such a commotion. Seriously talk about throwing a tantrum over NOTHING! One guy was really positive, the other guy didn't like the controls but praised the spectacular graphics. Anyone that got upset over that section revealed themselves to be a total fanboy.

Die hard KZ fanatics need to accept that the game probably isn't going to have the mainstream success of Halo, Gears, or COD. Due to the realistic controls and slow nature of the gameplay it's simply not going to appeal to as wide an audience, but nobody said it was a bad game. The game will still be great if you're into that sort of thing.

I was called out over the whole 'it may not sell as well as Halo, Gears etc.' thing.
That is what has led to this long ass back and forth :D
I hope I have explained myself sufficiently. It's also worth mentioning that I haven't played KZ2, I'm just basing this on what I've heard from some about the controls.
I'm sure I, and most of GAF will love the game.

ElyrionX

Private Hoffman said:
David Ellis is playing the role of 'Anti Hype'.

KILLZONE 2 has been getting phenomenal feedback, so in an effort to downplay that positive buzz, he's harping on unique features to KILLZONE 2's gameplay that set it apart from other shooters. The devil's advocate role he's playing is entirely transparent and disingenuous, and it honestly sounds like he hasn't played more than a few rounds at best of this game. You can tell, because his comments are completely off base:

"playing the role"? :lol

You *really* believe that David Ellis has an agenda against KZ2 huh?

What would he gain from "downplaying" the "positive buzz" around KZ2? It's just his opinion. I haven't seen any footage of the beta and neither have I read any impressions of it. But from what's been stated in the first few pages of this thread, the mechanics certainly sound pretty unique and different. When a game tries to be different, of course there are going to be people who don't like it. People are resistant to things that differ from what they're used. It's basic human nature to resist changes so it's not surprising that he didn't like it.

Christ, some of you guys take this shit way too seriously.

Kittonwy

Banned
NutJobJim said:
Yeah maybe. As far as I'm aware there are like 2 types of casual gamer, those that are new to gaming and play every now and then. These people probably have Wii's and play Wii sports/play/fit etc.

Then there are the 15-26 year old fratboys that play whatever game is 'in.' They are casual in the sense that they only buy 1 maybe 2 games a year, and only really play COD, Halo, GTA, Madden etc. These people do probably game quite a lot but they only play certain titles, musty shooters. It's this audience that helps make games like Halo, Gears, and GTA multi million sellers. It's these people I'm talking about, which is why, all the way back in my original post when I first mentioned the control issue, I said it will maybe hamper the game from selling as well as the CODs and Halos of this world.

Anyone who has play Gears shouldn't have problems with Killzone 2 controls though, because Killzone 2 controls are way more intuitive and responsive, the thing is Killzone 2 can easily appeal to the frat house crowd, because of the great weapons, the visuals, all the explosions and the pace, it's so very much a group game, instead of merely playing it to level up.

JimiNutz

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Anyone who has play Gears shouldn't have problems with Killzone 2 controls though, because Killzone 2 controls are way more intuitive and responsive, the thing is Killzone 2 can easily appeal to the frat house crowd, because of the great weapons, the visuals, all the explosions and the pace, it's so very much a group game, instead of merely playing it to level up.

Hopefully it does because it looks like a fantastic achievement.
Also when I say controls I'm not talking about the button layout, the issue seems to be the recoil and movement of you character and weapon. It is this that I'm worried will turn of these 'casual fratboy' types.

Kittonwy

Banned
NutJobJim said:
Hopefully it does because it looks like a fantastic achievement.
Also when I say controls I'm not talking about the button layout, the issue seems to be the recoil and movement of you character and weapon. It is this that I'm worried will turn of these 'casual fratboy' types.

Movement is very well-tuned, your sprint is fast, walking isn't slow by any means, you can run and freely jump over objects and barriers (you're not going to see bunny hops though which should be a good thing). There is recoil but aiming is great both from ironsights and from the hip, it's not like the recoil throws the player off completely, you can literally take someone out from across an open space in the academy map or the market map no problem with an assault rifle, but it just isn't the whole COD4 thing where the game locks onto the enemy when you go into ironsights even from afar, you actually have to aim, but standard rifle green dot is VERY ACCURATE.

JimiNutz

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Movement is very well-tuned, your sprint is fast, walking isn't slow by any means, you can run and freely jump over objects and barriers (you're not going to see bunny hops though which should be a good thing). There is recoil but aiming is great both from ironsights and from the hip, it's not like the recoil throws the player off completely, you can literally take someone out from across an open space in the academy map or the market map no problem with an assault rifle, but it just isn't the whole COD4 thing where the game locks onto the enemy when you go into ironsights even from afar, you actually have to aim, but standard rifle green dot is VERY ACCURATE.

That's encouraging to hear, some of it slightly contradicts what we saw and heard on this weeks show, but that was only one man's opinion, and the other guy loved it. Hopefully the majority of people love the way the game controls/feels. I have a feeling KZ2 may be one of those games that really polarises opinions though. I suppose we can only wait and see in Feb.

notjackbauer said:
Is there some KZ2 footage in this ep? Don't really want to download it if not...

Some. Nothing new, and you can probably find better footage elsewhere. Mostly it is just Ellis giving his opinion and some "contract" guy there to make it seem like it isn't a monologue.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I do admit though that the KZ2 footage looked pretty boring. I don't know if it's due to the skill of the player or what.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, great show this week.
Matt against the greenscreen was priceless.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Click said:
I never understood the popularity around the 1UP Show and their podcasts. These guys and girls are all moneyhat fanboys/girls. They have almost no credibility and their shows/podcasts are just a clusterfuck of terrible scenes of them trying to be cool and funny, along with biased reviews of games.
:lol :lol
The KZ2 people in here are crazy. I gameshared the beta (back when it was gameshareable) and it is not the be all, end all. So far the graphics are :0, the presentation is :0, the creativity of the multiplayer is :0 but the actual gameplay could use some help. For one I also do not like that when you start playing you aren't on even ground as higher level players (in CoD4 you start out ready to play with the best) and I do feel the controls could use some tuning. I'm going to buy it guaranteed but goddamn at you fucking fanboys. Most of you would probably give head for higher review scores.

Darkpen

Banned
NutJobJim said:
David's, Garnett's before, and also some of the beta testers.

If you'be bothered to read my posts I was stating that it may be a problem for the casual audience. I don't think I'll have any problems at all and if I do I'll simply tweak them until I'm happy, and learn how to play the game. A lot of casual gamers don't have the time/motivation to do this though, and I imagine many will have a lot of trouble if they're jumping over from more casual friendly titles like COD and Halo.

And yes I will trust a professional game journalists opinion over yours any day of the week, much like I would expect you to trust a professional reviewers opinion over mine :lol
I hardly consider "casual gamer" to be the proper label for people who only play Halo or CoD4. Your argument about people having a hard time readjusting is both an old and often ignored sentiment. As far as Garnett, or anyone for that matter, is concerned, I'd take a grain of salt, with the MGS series in mind.

Darkpen

Banned
Kittonwy said:
KZ2 is WAY frenetic, anytime you've got a chokepoint which can be at multiple locations on the map, you have tons of people moving and shooting and grenades going off, rockets being fired, shotgun going off with people rushing in, it gets really crazy in those 32 player warzone matches.
by frenetic, I mean R1/UT3/L4D frenetic. If other players are incapable of turning faster than you can, I don't see the problem.

Ploid 3.0

miyamotofreak said:
The KZ2 people in here are crazy. I gameshared the beta (back when it was gameshareable) and it is not the be all, end all. So far the graphics are :0, the presentation is :0, the creativity of the multiplayer is :0 but the actual gameplay could use some help. For one I also do not like that when you start playing you aren't on even ground as higher level players (in CoD4 you start out ready to play with the best) and I do feel the controls could use some tuning. I'm going to buy it guaranteed but goddamn at you fucking fanboys. Most of you would probably give head for higher review scores.

What do higher level players have over you in KZ2 exactly?

What about the controls need some tuning?

I was able to easily kill Technicians, and any other class with my trusty assault rifle. After a few games I was able to pick a wide range of weapons. I even thought they were unlocked at the beginning. people being able to get badges isn't all that bad to me. They die the same, and you will most likely have people on your team that balance things out as far as abilities. If you want the cool toys you'll get them in due time (Red dot, ACOG, 3x Frag etc).

If I understand correctly, the vanilla character has rounded stats as far as hp, and such. Aren't people with badges limited in their initial weapon selection, defense, and speed? There has to be something like that going on, because every time I saw someone guarding his turret he would have a shotgun shooting at me. He seemed like a engineer on tf2.

Ploid 3.0 said:
What do higher level players have over you in KZ2 exactly?

More weapons and classes. And depending on the class they're using, heavier armor. It might sound like a big disadvantage but your start out with the standard rifle which arguably the best weapon in the game.

dfyb

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
standard rifle which arguably the best weapon in the game.
this right here is a brilliant game design choice (edit: particularly for games that let you respawn). unfortunately, games that do this often end up being changed (halo pistol, warhawk pistol) because idiots will whine about being killed by the starter weapon after picking up a weapon they feel entitles ownage.

Ploid 3.0

The pistol in Warhawk beta, was out performing the machine gun at any distance. The machine gun was just pure useless.

ChryZ

ElyrionX said:
"playing the role"? :lol

You *really* believe that David Ellis has an agenda against KZ2 huh?

What would he gain from "downplaying" the "positive buzz" around KZ2?
I wouldn't be surprise if all this is just the means to build him up as a 1UP persona. He's the GameVideos producer. Why is he on every fucking podcast? Examples? First he is on 1UP Yours talking down R2, then on Monday he's on 1UP FM same message, word for word. Next Gear2 love tour: 1UP Yours, then 1UP Show and 1UP FM. Left4Dead hype tour, see the other two examples. See the pattern? It's all pretty fishy. Hating on PS3 is still okay, let's create some drama and get some hits on the 1UP network.

dfyb

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
The pistol in Warhawk beta, was out performing the machine gun at any distance. The machine gun was just pure useless.
at longer distances, the machine gun was awesome while crouched. they could have buffed the MG a bit, but what they did was make the pistol very weak, which in turn made spawn camping a lot easier.

Kittonwy

Banned
dfyb said:
this right here is a brilliant game design choice (edit: particularly for games that let you respawn). unfortunately, games that do this often end up being changed (halo pistol, warhawk pistol) because idiots will whine about being killed by the starter weapon after picking up a weapon they feel entitles ownage.

The thing is as good as the AR is, at long distances sniper totally trumps it, at short distances the shotgun totally trumps it, at medium distances the rocket launcher and the grenade launcher totally trumps it, it's a great all-round weapon but you basically have to be smart about using it and it's always about outflanking your enemies.

dfyb

Banned
Kittonwy said:
The thing is as good as the AR is, at long distances sniper totally trumps it, at short distances the shotgun totally trumps it, at medium distances the rocket launcher and the grenade launcher totally trumps it, it's a great all-round weapon but you basically have to be smart about using it and it's always about outflanking your enemies.
well right. it should be the best general purpose weapon -- the rest of the weapons are specialty weapons that excel in certain areas. that way, everyone on the battlefield has the potential to be effective, even if they only have the starting weapon. if someone chooses to, they can pick a specialty weapon and adjust their playstyle accordingly.

jett

D-Member
The only weapon I can think as totally useless is the HGH submachine gun, I haven't found any uses for it.

Kittonwy

Banned
dfyb said:
well right. it should be the best general purpose weapon -- the rest of the weapons are specialty weapons that excel in certain areas. that way, everyone on the battlefield has the potential to be effective, even if they only have the starting weapon. if someone chooses to, they can pick a specialty weapon and adjust their playstyle accordingly.

If you use a different class you can spawn with other primary weapons, basically you can choose your class and play style right from the start so you're not at a advantage, and when you spawn you're ready to go without having to search for a weapon.

Ploid 3.0

315k1zq.jpg

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
ChryZ said:
I wouldn't be surprise if all this is just the means to build him up as a 1UP persona. He's the GameVideos producer. Why is he on every fucking podcast? Examples? First he is on 1UP Yours talking down R2, then on Monday he's on 1UP FM same message, word for word. Next Gear2 love tour: 1UP Yours, then 1UP Show and 1UP FM. Left4Dead hype tour, see the other two examples. See the pattern? It's all pretty fishy. Hating on PS3 is still okay, let's create some drama and get some hits on the 1UP network.

This has far less to do with a David Ellis agenda than it is having ample staff at 1UP playing the year's holiday shooters enough to talk competently about them in 1UP's several media endeavors. Davis Ellis just happens to really like shooters and has strong opinions on them. Thus, when 1UP needs a go-to guy to talk shooters, they ask him. Simple as that. But I agree that conspiracies are far more fun.

LCfiner

goddamn, I wish I hadn't popped in this thread. the paranoia and delusions of some of you fanboys are ridiculous; talking about personas and role-playing among the 1up crew.

None of the 1up folks are good enough actors to "play roles" this convincingly in support of some opinions. i mean, have you seen the interstitial bits? no one is winning any oscars over there.

Amazing that some of you have such trouble realizing how people have different opinions on the same game/movie/music, etc. And then behave so irrationally when that opinion doesn't match your own.

Haunted

LCfiner said:
goddamn, I wish I hadn't popped in this thread. the paranoia and delusions of some of you fanboys are ridiculous; talking about personas and role-playing among the 1up crew.

None of the 1up folks are good enough actors to "play roles" this convincingly in support of some opinions. i mean, have you seen the interstitial bits? no one is winning any oscars over there.

Amazing that some of you have such trouble realizing how people have different opinions on the same game/movie/music, etc. And then behave so irrationally when that opinion doesn't match your own.
well yeah but he said something bad about a sony game

He didn't even come off as that negative for fuck's sake.

Click

Banned
miyamotofreak said:

I love how certain ignorant posters here quote my original post in this thread, but then never discuss why my post is invalid. They then call me a KZ2 fanboy, which I'm not (yet).

In case some of you people missed it, I criticized the 1UP Show/Yours and did not defend nor criticize KZ2. Maybe that's because I dislike the majority of the crew, their show, and their biased opinions/reviews/impressions... and think that GAF'ers give them waaaay too much credit and credibility.

LCfiner

Haunted said:
well yeah but he said something bad about a sony game

He didn't even come off as that negative for fuck's sake.

i know! that kills me even more.

It's not the first time that I've heard reactions that are way more defensive than the actual comments would warrant.

Salazar

sykoex said:
So with the revelation that the actual developer had nothing to do with the Motorstorm E3 2k5 CG video, I wonder if the same is true for the KZ2 and GoW3 CG vids.

KZ2 CG outsourced to Massive Black.

sykoex said:
So with the revelation that the actual developer had nothing to do with the Motorstorm E3 2k5 CG video, I wonder if the same is true for the KZ2 and GoW3 CG vids.

It's been known for a long time that GG didn't really have anything to do with that KZ2 trailer.

Top Bottom