• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr stroke

lawblob said:
No. I assume they will just have different owners. 1UP will probably change in some ways, but it will likely keep the same URL, branding, etc.

I can't imagine 1up closing as they must get a decent amount of traffic there no?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Simon Cox is whipping up his latest "Everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" blog entry as we speak.

But yes, I will definitely miss EGM. Best of luck to all y'all over there.

TJ Spyke said:
A huge media company. Some of the magazines/newspapers they publish:

* Cosmopolitan
* Country Living
* Esquire
* Good Housekeeping
* Harper's Bazaar
* O, The Oprah Magazine
* Popular Mechanics
* Redbook
* Seventeen
* SmartMoney (with Dow Jones)
* Teen

# Albany Times Union
# Beaumont Enterprise
# Connecticut Post
# Edwardsville Intelligencer
# Greenwich Time
# Houston Chronicle
# Huron Daily Tribune
# Laredo Morning Times
# Midland Daily News (Michigan)
# Midland Reporter-Telegram (Texas)
# The News-Times
# The Advocate (Stamford)
# Plainview Daily Herald
# San Antonio Express-News
# San Francisco Chronicle
# Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Plus, they own 33% of A&E (with Disney and GE), 20% of ESPN (with Disney), 50% of Lifetime (with Disney) and the website UGO.

That's an impressive list. I think 1up is in good hands
if they keep Shane.

Barrett2

mr stroke said:
I can't imagine 1up closing as they must get a decent amount of traffic there no?

Why would it close? Its inherent value is in the continued operation of the website itself. Don't worry, it's not going anywhere, it will probably just go through changes over the next year or so.... horrible, horrible changes.

Barrett2

Whimsical Phil said:
Simon Cox is whipping up his latest "Everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?" blog entry as we speak.

But yes, I will definitely miss EGM. Best of luck to all y'all over there.

Phil, you need to get us some inside dirt. IM some folks in the 1UP offices and get us a status report!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
bad news. by the wording it sounds like they are planning to fold it into ugo, rather than keeping 1up intact.

rabhw

I know EGM closing is sad, but no one else sees this as a good thing for the "1UP Network" ? Being bought by a company that isn't in dire financial condition will hopefully mean improvements to things like podcasts, server speed, etc. Being able to actually afford proper equipment for the podcasts and 1up show seems like a good thing to me.

Hopefully the transition for 1UP is as smooth as possible, with minimal job losses (is it too optimistic to hope for none at all). Good luck to everybody there.

It had its lesser moments, but EGM was by and far the best and most sincere gaming magazine out there. They didn't take shit from anybody, and that's why I admired them.

If this bouyout is indeed true, then it's definitely the end of the credible print era in gaming journalism. Rags like GamePro and GameInformer can continue with their under-the-table exclusives, but it won't last forever. I can only hope the editors can keep their jobs while maintaining their freedom to say what they want.

AranhaHunter said:
I hope so

263d8ht.jpg

1up podcasts and shows are the best in the business.

border

It sounds like EGM isn't going to get a real "final" issue -- which sucks, but then how many magazines really get a final issue? I honestly fail to see how a publication with such a huge subscriber base and heritage can just disappear in a day though.

Also, I'm glad we at least made it to Page2 without any Nbots claiming this is because there wasn't enough Wii coverage

You guys really think much is going to change? I hope they just transition over to the new company, and all they do is put there logo at the bottom of the page. I really hope everything stays the way it is.

The second episode of the What-They-Play-Ramblecast needs to come out ASAP and capitalize on this

The future of 1upYours is in doubt John... there is blood in the water, quick take that Friday podcast crown before gamescoop tries to snatch it up

FrankT

They were supposed to have some kind of epic podcast this week IIRC. Wonder what is going to happen to the podcasts.

LukeSmith

Unsurprising, but super unfortunate that the staffers heard about this via leak rather than being told.

Paidcontent.org: "Oops, our bad!"

May you all land on your feet, my friends.

colinp

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Unsurprising, but super unfortunate that the staffers heard about this via leak rather than being told.

Paidcontent.org: "Oops, our bad!"

May you all land on your feet, my friends.

Are you sure that's how it went down though?

_leech_ said:
That's an impressive list. I think 1up is in good hands
if they keep Shane.
Pretty much, it was inevitable that it was going to happen anyway, I'm just glad that someone decided to pick them up. Though I hope they can keep most of the crew intact.

What a sad day, if true.

I've loved EGM since I was a kid, and 1up is one of my favorite sites. Not to mention the podcasts.

I hope everyone there lands on their feet. it does sound like Hearst is a bit better off than Ziff was. Hopefully 1up stays alive, and doesn't just get melded into UGO. They're different enough that 1up could take the gaming coverage and UGO could reduce their gaming coverage, I think.

SAVE 1up Yours!! PLEASE! And Retronauts!! And 1up FM!!

Best wishes to all there in these tough economic times..

GhaleonQ

Whimsical Phil said:

I doubt it, since he'll probably be the first person fired, right (not that this would be anything but a terrible thing)?

Anyway, we knew it was coming, but *sigh*. This sucks. Hearst's an okay company, and they'll likely give them a bit of autonomy.

I believe Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot mentioned this on the Gamers With Jobs podcast from mid December sometime. Not EGM closing, but the 1UP/UGO thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom