• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP sold to UGO/Hearst. EGM gone. 1up show & podcasts gone. 40 1up/EGM employees gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
GDJustin said:
IDK if it's been posted yet in this topic, but Paidcontent is a very reliable source, for those that aren't familiar with it.

Doesn't mean that they didn't get this one wrong (hence the pulling)... I'm just sayin.
Usually, if a source pulls it, it must be right on the money...

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Whoa chill. Yeah his view is delectable, but freaking out like that isn't going to do much. There are people who deserve to be called scum and he isn't one of them.

Nope, grayfox's anger is totally justifiable.

That said...

Fuck you, AranhaHunter, for hoping that people might lose their jobs.

Guled

I just hope the people who lose their jobs rebound quickly. That and the podcasts/gamer nights stay running

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Whoa chill. Yeah his view is delectable, but freaking out like that isn't going to do much. There are people who deserve to be called scum and he isn't one of them.

His view is... appetizing and delicious?

Rlan

GQman2121 said:
Giant Bomb should consider expanding and really take over this online gaming journal thing.

Giant Bomb (And the WhiskeyMedia sites like ComicVine) have the philosophy of "A very small team can do just as good of a job as a large team", which is essentially the opposite of the 1up philosophy.

dacuk

I hope the whole EGM team keeps their jobs. Economy horizon is not looking good, and those are guys who love this hobby.

Having said that....

border said:
It sounds like EGM isn't going to get a real "final" issue -- which sucks, but then how many magazines really get a final issue? I honestly fail to see how a publication with such a huge subscriber base and heritage can just disappear in a day though.

Also, I'm glad we at least made it to Page2 without any Nbots claiming this is because there wasn't enough Wii coverage

Having read the magazine since its Megaman 3 cover issue, I can tell you that the changes on their gaming coverage definitely affected their market. Even if you think that giving the most of their attention to the so-called "hardcore games" didn't segmented their audience, the way their treated their readers (on the letters section at the start of each issue) was just one of the factors that made me (and others) cancelled my paid subscription.

Good toilet read, though.

eznark

Banned
Y2Kev said:
You, "Shane is going to sony!!" people are pretty callous douches. Some people are going to lose their jobs here.

Shit, I guess you don't have that Sony job lined up yet. Well good luck to you and your EGM brethren.

cRIPticon

SonOfABeep said:
Um, the magazine improved under Mielke (sp?)

The last couple issues have been some of their best, imo. EGM is in trouble for other much bigger reasons. Perhaps you've noticed that the economy is in the shitter and people go online for most everything now?

Yes, but we need EGM as most don't go online when in the shitter :)

Seriously, the podcasts have to survive. As someone who has a web radio show and a video show shot in a professional three camera studio, their podcasts and videocasts put me to shame. Hell, I have some sort of 1up ***cast playing as I go to sleep at night.

Amazing team over there and I sincerely hope all are alright.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
eznark said:
Shit, I guess you don't have that Sony job lined up yet. Well good luck to you and your EGM brethren.
Just a few more interviews!!!

On an unrelated note, The Giant bomb crew on 1up Yours was very funny last week.

Hopefully for the employees sake everyone is able to stay employed, and hopefully for my sake everyone is able to stay together and podcasting.

I actually met Shane briefly recently, ran into him at Chicago O'Hare airport during the terrible weather when everyone got stranded. He's a cool guy, hope everyone is able to keep their jobs.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Stop posting the gif. It's already been purged from the thread so that you have some possibility of staying on topic instead of oogling tits.

kaskade

Shits legit

By 1UP Staff, 01/06/2009
You may have heard the rumors in the past, but today the announcement we?ve all been waiting for has officially come: UGO Entertainment and parent Hearst Corporation have acquired 1UP and its associated sites GameVideos.com, MyCheats.com, and GameTab.com. 1UP and its sites now join UGO's network of gaming properties that will reach over 40 million monthly unique visitors. UGO and 1UP representatives commented on the deal:

"Since we started UGO 11 years ago, we have served the gamer community and built a world-class online publishing platform," said J Moses, CEO of UGO Entertainment. "The acquisition of 1UP, with its authentic voice, tenured editorial personalities and bustling user community, allows us to expand our base of quality content and represents a major step forward in UGO's mission to become the leader in the games space."

"We are extremely excited to join the UGO team," said Sam Kennedy, editorial director and creator of 1UP. "Relying on UGO?s publishing platform will allow us to focus on what we do best?creating great content and 'owning the conversation' among gamers through our unique, authentic and definitive voice and community."

Obviously, there are sure to be many questions as to what this deal means for the day to day of 1UP and its sites. To those, we can only say that we'll continue to produce the very best gaming content and support the very best gaming community as we always have, only now we'll have the backing of a fantastic publisher like UGO. Please join with us in celebrating this major news for 1UP.

2i0u78l.jpg

A fantastic beginning...

2lsuqte.jpg

...and an underwhelming end. :\

Hopefully the employees will manage to all find jobs, though.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Even though I get EGM for free I'm not especially concerned if it closes, like I've said before it's mostly filled with info I read 2 months ago on the internet. I hope they can keep all the 1UP people together though. If not then I'll be subscribing to "What They Play Yours" soon right?

tino

Banned
To be honest, I have doubt that a website like Giantbomb can afford a full crew in the long run.

If its one or two people I can believe it, like cheapassgamer, but a full crew is probably too much expense for a website.

I hope Shane go work for a bigger portal. God I hate both IGN and Gamespot. Maybe MTV/Gametrailer?

Guled

noooooooo, it also looks like they delayed todays gamer night, hope that doesn't represent whats to come

Rlan

border said:
Sooooo.....I guess this explains why there's been no new episode of 1Up FM?

No that was because there was nothing to talk about and they were taking the week off anyway. Lukems seems to say that those working at EGM / 1UP only knew about this thanks to the leak.

confirmed

UGO Entertainment Acquires 1UP
UGO Entertainment and parent Hearst Corporation have acquired 1UP and its associated sites.
By 1UP Staff, 01/06/2009
You may have heard the rumors in the past, but today the announcement we?ve all been waiting for has officially come: UGO Entertainment and parent Hearst Corporation have acquired 1UP and its associated sites GameVideos.com, MyCheats.com, and GameTab.com. 1UP and its sites now join UGO's network of gaming properties that will reach over 40 million monthly unique visitors. UGO and 1UP representatives commented on the deal:

"Since we started UGO 11 years ago, we have served the gamer community and built a world-class online publishing platform," said J Moses, CEO of UGO Entertainment. "The acquisition of 1UP, with its authentic voice, tenured editorial personalities and bustling user community, allows us to expand our base of quality content and represents a major step forward in UGO's mission to become the leader in the games space."

"We are extremely excited to join the UGO team," said Sam Kennedy, editorial director and creator of 1UP. "Relying on UGO?s publishing platform will allow us to focus on what we do best?creating great content and 'owning the conversation' among gamers through our unique, authentic and definitive voice and community."

Obviously, there are sure to be many questions as to what this deal means for the day to day of 1UP and its sites. To those, we can only say that we'll continue to produce the very best gaming content and support the very best gaming community as we always have, only now we'll have the backing of a fantastic publisher like UGO. Please join with us in celebrating this major news for 1UP.

Banana Kid said:

UGO Entertainment Acquires 1UP

UGO Entertainment and parent Hearst Corporation have acquired 1UP and its associated sites.
By 1UP Staff, 01/06/2009

You may have heard the rumors in the past, but today the announcement we've all been waiting for has officially come: UGO Entertainment and parent Hearst Corporation have acquired 1UP and its associated sites GameVideos.com, MyCheats.com, and GameTab.com. 1UP and its sites now join UGO's network of gaming properties that will reach over 40 million monthly unique visitors. UGO and 1UP representatives commented on the deal:

"We are extremely excited to join the UGO team," said Sam Kennedy, editorial director and creator of 1UP. "Relying on UGO's publishing platform will allow us to focus on what we do best -- creating great content and 'owning the conversation' among gamers through our unique, authentic and definitive voice and community."

Obviously, there are sure to be many questions as to what this deal means for the day to day of 1UP and its sites. To those, we can only say that we'll continue to produce the very best gaming content and support the very best gaming community as we always have, only now we'll have the backing of a fantastic publisher like UGO. Please join with us in celebrating this major news for 1UP.​

Full PR: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/ugo-entertainment-to-acquire-1upcom,670658.shtml
NEW YORK - (Business Wire) UGO Entertainment, a unit of Hearst Corporation, announced today that it will acquire 1UP.com, a premium brand and trusted site among hardcore gamers, and its associated properties including GameVideos.com, MyCheats.com and GameTab.com. The deal is structured as an asset purchase between UGO Entertainment and the Ziff Davis Games Group.
“Since we started UGO 11 years ago, we have served the gamer community and built a world-class online publishing platform,” said J Moses, CEO of UGO Entertainment. “The acquisition of 1UP, with its authentic voice, tenured editorial personalities and bustling user community, allows us to expand our base of quality content and represents a major step forward in UGO’s mission to become the leader in the games space.”

“We are extremely excited to join the UGO team,” said Sam Kennedy, editorial director and creator of 1UP. “Relying on UGO’s publishing platform will allow us to focus on what we do best—creating great content and ‘owning the conversation’ among gamers through our unique, authentic and definitive voice and community.”

1UP.com will stand beside UGO.com as a flagship brand within UGO Entertainment’s robust portfolio of sites targeting 18-34 year old gamers. The combined entity will reach an audience of more than 40 million monthly unique visitors.

An all-star cast of 1UP editors will carry on the site’s tradition of engaging hardcore gamers with insightful commentary, comprehensive information and breaking news from the games industry.

“In this difficult marketplace and at a time, when many companies are scaling back their businesses, UGO Entertainment continues to grow and expand its position in the games space,” said Ken Bronfin, president of Hearst Interactive Media. “We remain dedicated to supporting UGO's growth in this key category.”

Advertisers will be able to purchase integrated media campaigns across both properties effective immediately. For advertising information contact Nick Flynn, SVP of sales at nick@ugo.com.

ABOUT UGO ENTERTAINMENT:

UGO Entertainment (www.ugo.com) — a unit of Hearst Corporation (www.hearst.com), one of the nation's largest diversified media companies — has been exclusively online for over 10 years, creating quality lifestyle content for Gamers. The company's flagship website, UGO.com, and its owned and operated properties engage a massive audience of more than 40 million monthly unique visitors with a distinctive editorial voice and a passion for all things central to the Gamer lifestyle: Movies, TV shows, Music, Comics, Technology, Gadgets, Gear, Girls, Sports, and, of course, Games.

UGO Entertainment has earned a strong reputation as a trusted publisher, delivering customized, high impact and high touch online advertising programs for its world-class client base and is a leader in attracting the coveted 18-34 male demographic. The company operates from its headquarters in New York City.

UGO Entertainment
Christian Winthrop, 917-992-3517 (m)
christian@ugo.com

cRIPticon

ferricide said:
get an iPhone. seriously, not to disparage egm, but i now DO go online on the shitter.

Ummm...I own an iPhone, and about 25 other handsets, and don't want any ABFM on my gear. NOTE: Never borrow ferricide's phone for a call :)

newsguy

Please join with us in celebrating this major news for 1UP.

Fuck that. Best of luck to all of you over there. I had to find out recently what it's like to lose co-workers/friends who you've spent years around due to layoffs. I wish you guys the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom